How tall & Heavy are you ?

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by Yugo King, Dec 23, 2016.

1. Yugo King

Yugo King You are overrated on Sherdog Double Yellow Card

I´m 5´11 2/3 or 182 cm. Or barely 6 foot

Weigh 106 kg.

Body fat, pretty high, I´d say half fat half muscle, though I don´t look fat at all, I have a naturally huge lower body, legs and especially gluteus maximus.

My shoulders are super wide. Wide hip bones too.

More strong type then running type, hate running.

However weak by PL standards as I lift super inconsistentyl but believe I´d have talent if I went for strength.

Thinking my, hypothetical, best weight category would be maybe LHW, I used to be 84 kg when I was 23, cause of regular training and didn´t mess up my diet then , so I could make 77 kg, which would be great as I prefer having a reach advantage as I´m not much of an in fighter but I wanna expand that style to when I can get back to training. LHW guys got similar reach and height as MW but are slower and the shots are heavier, both suits me as a kickboxing type of guy.

My wingspan is 6 1/2 foot or 184cm. With extended fingers.

I think I can make ww, mw, lhw, and hw.
    HW cause I don´t even try to eat a lot and am at 106kg.

Most logical would probably be LHW or MW. At WW I don´t benefit from being, imo, naturally strong and able to carry muscle mass. Though it´s sweet being 84kg and move without getting tired and be fast and have high volumen in your output.

Every now and then I see a "Freak" in public or at the gym and think, fuck he is big, and realize those are real heavyweights, like +6´4 and super wide build, huge back. I´m getting tired just imagining having to lock up and wrestle with them.

And yeah I actualy don´t look fat at all and people regulary gauge me as 10-15 kg lighter then I am, or even 20.

I guess I´m chubby fit looking. Not really chubby. Like you know those bigger built guys where their belly doesn´t stand out cause they are wide built.

So tell me bout yourself, your meassurements and how you would fit in, hypotheticaly, in a weight category

Cheers

-YK

Last edited: Dec 23, 2016
  2. JimRussel

JimRussel Brown Belt

What the actual fuck

3. Yugo King

butthurt over the functional strength thread ?

PUO3 likes this.
  4. TheeFaulted

TheeFaulted Inzer Belt

People spend way to much time thinking about their possible weight classes. You compete at the class in which you weigh. That's it, unless you're such a great athlete that another weight class may actually have an impact.

Phlog, bad seed and Yugo King like this.
  5. Yugo King

or if you are really fat and thus at advantage compared to your division, like if you´re 5´8 200 pounds chubby kickboxer, your reach disatvantage will be huge

6. TheeFaulted

TheeFaulted Inzer Belt

If you're fat, and you want to not be fat, then yes lose weight. Again, unless you're competing at a high level, being MW or WW, isn't going to make a lick of difference.

What level/sport are you competing in?

7. Yugo King

I´m not competing.

Yes it will make a difference, of course. UFC fighters care about 3 pounds, is a issue for them. WW or MW or LHW makes a difference.

8. TheeFaulted

TheeFaulted Inzer Belt

Then what the fuck are we talking about?

Read the goddamn words I am typing.

I've competed in weight class sports from 145 to heavyweight. I've worked with all levels of combat athletes from kids' wrestling programs to collegiate all-americans to UFC champions. To those competing at a high level, weight classes are very important, mostly to work around other competitor near your weight class. For dudes who don't compete, they mean nothing. To those competing on smaller circuits, they mean next to nothing.

9. Yugo King

I totally disagree, you never see amateur fighters who are undersized or simply short chubby fighting bigger dudes, giving up reach ect ? Of course 20 pounds matter for everybody. I do get your point just think it´s to far in one direction but I like the point itself

We are talking about our height, body type, weight, reach, I think I made that clear in the OP.

You don´t need to say "Read the goddamn words" like are you today a little cranky bout something ? Did you have your coffee ? Did your kids upset you ?

10. Yugo King

If I want to do kickboxing it matters if I´m 84 kg 94kg or HW. Huge reach difference in the categories. But nice to not obses.

11. Yugo King

What do you compete in ?

Lol got the yellow belt in 2 days, duh, 12 hours nightshift with access to the internet

12. Yugo King

The gym owner, where I barely ever show up I got a 10 times use card, who just fought for a pro boxing european title or something, said I should be cca 85 kg for my reach / height.

C´mon this does matter. But yeah not obsessively.

13. j123

j123 Pro Sherdogger 500-0-1

They'll still be taller, MT tends to favor being tall, its not uncommon to see guys around 6'2-6'4 competing at 170. I recall at a big MT tourney in Iowa (TBA) last year, there was a guy that was 6'8 at light heavy.

You will run into guys that are alot taller in MT compared to MMA, they'll be stretched out, so you need to know how to cut off the ring, and work from there, on top of the other basics: always throwing combinations, retaliating ASAP, clinching.

A featherweight in MMA could be 5'4 - 5'10, whereas in MT they'll be 5'8 - 6. It also depends on where you are competing, in America the majority gyms are MMA gyms, with only a few pure MT gyms, so by that demographic, they're MMA fighters (usually shorter + stockier) that are competing in MT tourneys/events.

14. spdrew2143

spdrew2143 Blue Belt

Wow! PM me some pics please.

15. TheeFaulted

TheeFaulted Inzer Belt

The point was you didn't read the goddamn words. I mentioned that weight lasses don't make much difference unless you're competing at a high level. You mention UFC fighters as if that invalidated my statement. Competing in the UFC is obviously indicative of a high level fighter, so it appeared you didn't bother actually reading that which you were replying to.

16. TheeFaulted

TheeFaulted Inzer Belt

I competed in folk style wrestling in high school (145/152/160). I went to a college that didn't offer wrestling and so started boxing. My last year of college they added wrestling, and I worked with the team, and since I work at the school, I have continued to work with the team the last 7 or so years. I competed in boxing (Heavyweight) for a few years until I was diagnosed with glaucoma. I've also done some strongman and powerlifting comps. (From 170-Heavyweight)

17. Yugo King

If I wanna be a LHW in mma in the future, and do kickboxing now then my best bet is hopping I will run into shitty lazy part time fighters at 94 kg or else I´ll be short as hell, well Saki was my height but Saki is a entire monster. In any case I´m not even training not to say competing :D.

When I have free days from work, if I´m not sleeping the day away, I do a fitness workout as in weights ketbells ropes, running and lot´s of heavybag as the fitness gym got a relatively small boxing room, that stupid african dude always says I can´t kick there, but many kick, I just keep and eye ´that he won´t see me and do kickboxing. Last time I did 1X 5 mins shadow kickboxing then 3 rounds heavybag. Then fitness stuff then 5X 3 minutes heavybag. Yep. Now I got 6 days a row nightshift 12 hours, takes me 1 hour to get home from work, get up 1.5 before work, no way to train. I don´t suffer from the nightshift anyways, often do 3 in the morning workouts, my body "evolved" into not carying if it´s day or night.

Yeah on that note I should logg off and send out those job applications, so I get a job with 8 hours shifts and can train. My strategy would be train 4 working week days, 1 completely off, 2-3 hours sessions, I enjoy 3-4 hour workouts at a time actually too, don´t bother me or wear me down too much, and then on weekends I can simply train morning and night, which equals 8 long as training sessions a week, which is pretty good. This way now I work like 19 days a month and those days can´t get a workout in. Then the remaining 11 days sometimes I sleep 20 hours a row, no joke, and or mess up hitting the gym cause of personal stuff and activities and end up going less then I have free days, however let me tell you even 5 good workouts a month improve you a LOT as a fighter. I don´t need motivatio I enjoy it, I work out as much time as I have for that workout, usually lots, and do it till I feel I did too much let´s go home.

18. JimRussel

JimRussel Brown Belt

I didn't even click on it, but I'm sure it was a train wreck.

19. Yugo King

I read every word, I just made the conection, I actually made a smililar point not realy refuting yours, I said the high level aka UFC care about even just 3 pounds so we the "Low level" (allegedly low level, who knows maybe I´m good or solid) should care about entire weight categories as in 20 pounds or 40 if it´s 2 categories apart.

Get me now.

Good. Peace

20. Yugo King

good to know now get the f away from this