How strong was prime Rousey?

great judoka, highly athletic, pretty poor striking mixed w low level of comp in wmma plus horrible coaching.

mmas a mix, like MIXED martial arts guys

What are you talking about?? Have you ever seen any coach encourage their fighter to move their head and clinch as much as Edmund? It was great coaching!

Well i meant her earlier career. She won like 9 fights by armbar before she even hit the UFC.
Miesha, Julia Budd, and Kaufman were great wins against good competition.

With better coaching she would be the champ today. Good athlete, physically strong, great ground game, good cardio, good chin, mentally tough in the cage, good fight IQ.

All of these attributes could not make up for her horrible stand-up. She was lacking fundamental skills in footwork, boxing, boxing defense and head movement. Instead of learning how to close the distance to clinch or TD, she thought she was a striker and got lit up. Piss poor coaching/camp.

Relative to her competition of course. I never really followed her career much. Was she stronger than most of her opposition or was she that much more skilled? Both maybe?

Both, when she was only fighting grapplers. Everything involving striking . . .

Her competition was part-time fighters and soccer moms like a lot of WMMA still is, but even worse at that time. Maybe equivalent to a good male fighter skill wise ~15 years ago? Just a rough guesstimate.
Why do people insist on discrediting her and wmma?
as if Stipe wasnt a part time firefighter
or we havent had costco employees, Starbuck Baristas, cops and math teachers part time in the UFC

mma is not the nba

She was an Olympic grappler, so physically she had advantages. I don't know if her coach, Edmond Tarverdyan, was a yes-man or a con-man, but either way, the fact that her striking was so deficient against Nunes was telling. I can accept what happened against Holm. That was far and away the best striker Rousey ever fought. But she came back having done nothing about her deficiencies.

Becoming a professional stunt-man was a great career move for her, but I feel she had a lot left in mma. It just turned out, as physically gifted as she was, she was emotionally fragile. Nunes broke her.

One of the best judo users I've seen.

I took some of her MMA/judo knowledge (mostly takedown threats from the clinch & entry developments) to myself.

She chains 4 main judo throws: uchi mata, kouchi gari, ouchi gari and tani otoshi like no one ever in MMA IMO.

Yep. Grappling clinic vs Tate. Reversal against Zingano while she was upside down posting off of one foot. I cannot stand her attitude, and no single aspect of her striking needs to be mentioned, but her grappling was top-shelf.

Why do people insist on discrediting her and wmma?
as if Stipe wasnt a part time firefighter
or we havent had costco employees, Starbuck Baristas, cops and math teachers part time in the UFC

mma is not the nba

Why do people white knight for WMMA constantly? Most of the threads on it are just about the women's appearance, in fact. In reality WMMA fights are just generally not very high level.

Although she looked buff, it's hard for me to believe she was physically stronger than Sara McMann or Cat Zingano--I'm confident it was skill that carried those fights.

She had no problem submitting the stereotypical sherdogger back in the day.

Go to 4:01

Ronda looks like some kind of submission/judo pixie just giggling and dancing around the cage while bitch tossing that guy around like it was nothing lol.

She was 4-0 in this video and seemed much more humble and likeable than her UFC run.

she was very good in her time.. Competition caught up with her.. She made her money and got out.. Now she is the first female ever to headline a wrestlemania.. She is very good at making money and living rent free in incels heads.

Ronda looks like some kind of submission/judo pixie just giggling and dancing around the cage while bitch tossing that guy around like it was nothing lol.

She was 4-0 in this video and seemed much more humble and likeable than her UFC run.
Yep before she made it to the UFC and the whole "DNB" and 'once ever' crap and 'under the right circumstances' she was actually a cool chick with a likeable personality.

To be fair, that was less of a grappling clinic by Rousey and more of a horrific fight IQ clinic by Tate.

Well, Tate has never displayed the best fight IQ, but Ronda used a wide variety of throws to get the fight to the ground and just wore Tate down despite being out of shape for that fight herself.

But Tate going for takedowns against a superior grappler was utterly stupid.

A few have said something about "low level of WMMA competition during that time" and that line is just BS. The level of competition has stayed relatively the same for the women's 135lb division since it was started. All of the same players were around or arrived to the scene shortly after the division started. Honda's rise and fall is almost exclusively tied to the style she was matched up against early in her UFC career. She beats every grappler you put in front of her and will likely lose to every striker you put in front of her.

Last edited:
Back