How strong and how fast do you think ufc guys are ?

I knew a professional boxer many years ago (before he went pro). My impression about how he was different than other people was: he had a much higher tolerance for pain (than anyone else I knew) and his hand speed was unreal. While most people were still winding up, his fist was already connecting with your chin. These two factors struck me as more essential for professional fighters than any of the traditional strength/endurance metrics. Just my two yen.

Jarl
Yeah I always bring up the fact that Roy Jones Jr was an average athlete on a semi pro development basketball court. Put all those guys in a boxing ring and he stands out way above any of them as an athlete.

Doesn't the bench matter? I'm not saying a strongman will excel at MMA without training, but is there any fighter with KO power who doesn't lift weights?
Tommy hearns and Julian Jackson weren’t exactly bodybuilders.

For the record, Brock Lesnar was never in the NFL Combine. Those stats were literally pulled out of thin air years ago and have been passed on as gospel truth since, despite me bringing up the fact that Brock never, EVER participated in the NFL Combine.

Sorry, but this one really puts me in my zone.
Those numbers though unofficial were reported by legit news sources from what I remember. He did have workouts for teams.

giphy.gif

That's a bit of an exaggeration......

He went 1-1 with Mir and beat LHW old man Couture who he outweighed by 50+ lbs. All while juiced.

Best HW fighters of all-time, lol.
Sylvia and Gonzaga outweighed hw Randy by a lot too.

I don’t know what people discredit randy as a hw fighter.

Yeah no. His path was presented on a silver platter and he was juiced to the gills.

His recovery against Carwin deserves huge props, but that's about the only real noteworthy moment of his scripted career.
They were all juiced. Randy too.

Lmao golfers aren't athletes. If golfers are athletes then that means 75 percent of retired men are also athletes
Playing a sport at a low level doesn’t make you an athlete.

I honestly don't give a shit, the fact is any MMA fighter would completely fuck up a comparable athlete from another sport in a fight. Which means he could buttrape him and there is nothing the "superior" athlete could do about it.

The soccer player or NBA player might be stronger, he might be faster, but he specializes in some dumb shit like kicking a ball around so he's going to get cucked by the MMA fighter.

Sylvia and Gonzaga outweighed hw Randy by a lot too.

I don’t know what people discredit randy as a hw fighter.
Not a discredit to the man at all (Huge Couture fan), simply a reality that he was a very small HW. Weight classes exist for a reason, but apparently once you're over 205 lbs they don't?

Combat sport combatants are the best athletes in the world. Yeah LeBron and whomever is certainly elite but can they perform with a fist wizzing a half inch from the face?
Floyd Mayweather Jr is the best athlete in the last 2 decades.

I honestly don't give a shit, the fact is any MMA fighter would completely fuck up a comparable athlete from another sport in a fight. Which means he could buttrape him and there is nothing the "superior" athlete could do about it.

The soccer player or NBA player might be stronger, he might be faster, but he specializes in some dumb shit like kicking a ball around so he's going to get cucked by the MMA fighter.
Not to mention fighters perform under greater pressure. I say fighters are the best athletes period.

I think the best lightweights run a 5k in ~18-20 minutes, bench 85-105kg and deadlift 155-175kg.
20min for a 5k cant be very good for an athlete. My cousin and I ran 10k races or bigger most every sunday for years. Fucker was always sub 40 min. Sometimes we watched UFC Then Formula-1 and hung on awoke. Those times, I always felt like shit, wanting to go to bed, but not once failed to complete the distance. We both always smoked a lot. Would smoke cigarettes and weed on our way to the races and even after parking, on our way to the race, we would walk while smoking a last ciggie. After running, always felt wonderful. And hungry. Starving.
We were both lifelong semi-athletes, mostly always training. Ive always been naturally ripped and still drink and smoke regularly.

Those numbers though unofficial were reported by legit news sources from what I remember. He did have workouts for teams.

He did not attend the NFL Combine and I have yet to see any credible site declare those as his numbers. Googling them just takes you in a merry-go-round of sources till you make it back to an MMA Forum. It's entirely possible he put those numbers up, but there's a big difference between putting those numbers up in a tryout for the Vikings where you're being timed with a stop-watch by a disinterested trainer and the carefully controlled (well, more so anyway) environment of the Combine.

Feel free to prove me wrong on this, btw.

20min for a 5k cant be very good for an athlete. My cousin and I ran 10k races or bigger most every sunday for years. Fucker was always sub 40 min. Sometimes we watched UFC Then Formula-1 and hung on awoke. Those times, I always felt like shit, wanting to go to bed, but not once failed to complete the distance. We both always smoked a lot. Would smoke cigarettes and weed on our way to the races and even after parking, on our way to the race, we would walk while smoking a last ciggie. After running, always felt wonderful. And hungry. Starving.
We were both lifelong semi-athletes, mostly always training. Ive always been naturally ripped and still drink and smoke regularly.

It sure is a good time depending on the size of said athlete. A very good time, really. Nowhere near elite but that'd definitely put you up there in the Top 10 percentile methinks. 23:10 was the fastest 5K Uncle Tryhard ever pulled and that put me up in the top quarter of about 300 runners. The very bottom of that top quarter but still...

Another one of these threads. They’re the best at their craft. A lot of those guys that can dominate in a different craft, have zero talent when they come over to fighting. Just like Lebron is not going to be the best wide receiver, no matter how much he tries. He’s decent, due to his physical gifts, but he’s in basketball for a reason. Mma fighters are in their sport because that is what they are best at.

If you’re the absolute best fighter in the world with a sanctioned set of rules, you’re an incredible athlete. Period; end of story.

Not a discredit to the man at all (Huge Couture fan), simply a reality that he was a very small HW. Weight classes exist for a reason, but apparently once you're over 205 lbs they don't?
Of course they matter but he was still good enough to dominate gg and timmay. So beating randy at hw matters.

Tony Ferguson posted a running time once, and while it wasn't exactly 5k, it was close to it and for a 5k his times was between ~19 minutes.
If you've regularly ran a 10k under 40 mins then that is very respectable (seriously) - however did you at the same do strength training and were able to lift the amounts of weight i've listed? (and if so: were you a bigger size then the average top lightweight anyway?)
Because to be both a respectably fast runner and have very solid amounts of strength is not that easy.

Probably far less strong and quick than the average NFL player.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ljae89
Back