How should you feel after a proper set of deadlifts

Dyson350

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Added deadlift to my routine and I have watched videos and stuff on the proper form, I am sure my form is not perfect but I don't think I am that far off from the correct posture. Where exactly should I be feeling the workout the next day? For me it is all in my lower back and slightly in my upper back.

Soreness isn't a good indicator of effectiveness /broken record

I usually feel it in my hamstrings and occasionally my upper back.

Kind of all over....but alot in the upper back, hams, and shins (from the bar scraping) :)

what does it mean if you are real sore in the lower back after deadlifts? I rarely do deadlifts, but when I do, my lower back hurts real bad for like two weeks.

hamstrings (especially if i go lower and try to use more legs than back)
and lower back and upper back (lower more)

what does it mean if you are real sore in the lower back after deadlifts? I rarely do deadlifts, but when I do, my lower back hurts real bad for like two weeks.

All i know is a proper warm-up is key. It's real easy to get pumped and wanna run over and pull a shitload of weight without a warm-up...but that could be disastrous.

you're not doing it right it shouldn't hurt for two weeks, worst case sore for 2-3 days

you're not doing it right it shouldn't hurt for two weeks, worst case sore for 2-3 days

I usually am just sore for the next 2 or 3 days. And it doesn't feel like a pulled back. I just don't want to set myself up for injury because I don't feel it in the hamstrings. I may need to lower the weight a little to adjust my form until i start feeling it in the hamstring and other areas.

All i know is a proper warm-up is key. It's real easy to get pumped and wanna run over and pull a shitload of weight without a warm-up...but that could be disastrous.

Thanks, I learned that one the hard way.

Yeah, I figured I wasn't doing something right. Plus I tried to jump too heavy too soon.

Two weeks is a really long time. When I switch from low-rep/heavy to high-rep/lightweight then my muscles will stay sore for a solid week if I don't walk and stretch it off periodically.

How do I feel after a proper set of deadlifts? Dizzy
How do I feel before a set of deadlifts? I feel like finding excuses to not do them.
How do I feel during a proper set of deadlifts? I can totally do another set.

For some reason, squats are the hardest of all my heavy exercises, but deadlifts are the ones I dread, and totally feel fine for another round of them.

I've been sore for up to five days. Immediately post workout you should feel mentally drained. However you can pull-up/chin more reps/weight after you deadlift heavy -dunno why but give it a try.

As regards form, the bar should be as close to your body as possible from beginning to end. Also, its called a deadlift so when doing multiple reps think of it as multiples singles (make sure the bar is completely still before moving it). There are many stances and grips you can use, gear too.

When you lift the bar think that you are pressing your heels through the floor NOT that you are pulling the bar up. Remember to engage your core throughout the lift. You should be able to maintain tension whether you are breathing in, out or even holding your breath.

I've been sore for up to five days. Immediately post workout you should feel mentally drained. However you can pull-up/chin more reps/weight after you deadlift heavy -dunno why but give it a try.

As regards form, the bar should be as close to your body as possible from beginning to end. Also, its called a deadlift so when doing multiple reps think of it as multiples singles (make sure the bar is completely still before moving it). There are many stances and grips you can use, gear too.

When you lift the bar think that you are pressing your heels through the floor NOT that you are pulling the bar up. Remember to engage your core throughout the lift. You should be able to maintain tension whether you are breathing in, out or even holding your breath.

Probably has something to do with CNS activation. You deadlift a lot of weight so your CNS has to be running on all cylinders to do those heavy pulls, then afterward your body is still raring to go.

After a good session of deads I feel absolutely freakin' decimated.

Probably has something to do with CNS activation. You deadlift a lot of weight so your CNS has to be running on all cylinders to do those heavy pulls, then afterward your body is still raring to go.

WIth knowledge like that I figured you must have a badass workout journal. I checked out your post, and read through some stuff but was unable to find if you hit your goal of a thousand. Did you get it?

yeah i feel like death after a heavy set.damn they are painful

WIth knowledge like that I figured you must have a badass workout journal. I checked out your post, and read through some stuff but was unable to find if you hit your goal of a thousand. Did you get it?

No not yet. I have no problem training consistently and learning new things but my diet/recovery is less than optimal so my progress has been slow lately. I'm hoping to be at 900 by the end of the year.

Back