How Sad Is This?

11b83

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Just shows the state of the HW Div when the champ Wlad Klitschko is defending his belt and nobody on TV want's to air it. It's going to be on Sept 11th on espn3 which is online I think. No hbo, showtime, espn, heck even basic cable would pick it up.

I think it is sad thaT none of the US will air the HW champ fight, but I understand that it's a business. Still bother me though. Espn will be airing it the next day on Espn I think.

Oh well. Its sad when they cant get the Mayweather->Manny fight to actually happen.

I'm not trolling. I am trying to slowly creep my way back into boxing ... but how many freaking HW champs are there?!

I'm not trolling. I am trying to slowly creep my way back into boxing ... but how many freaking HW champs are there?!

Vitali- WBC.
Wladimir- Ring/IBF/WBO/.
Handy Haye- WBA.

To answer your question, 3.

Wladimir- Ring

one only one that matters.i don't get why its sad, wlad is a big star in his homeland and adopted homeland not a big star globally, so where plenty of american hw kings like holmes,patterson.in fact in europe hw fights like bowe holyfield weren't shown live and barely covered.

Vitali- WBC.
Wladimir- Ring/IBF/WBO/.
Handy Haye- WBA.

To answer your question, 3.

And these are all promotions with their own champs but with the ability to fight each other?

And these are all promotions with their own champs but with the ability to fight each other?

Yes they could all fight each other but two of them are brothers that won't fight each and the other one doesn't want to fight either of the brothers.(right now)

Vitali and Wladimar will never fight each other, at least not in front of cameras. Haye doesn't want to fight either of them. But they could, theoritically, fight each other.

Does it surprise you that this fight can't sell PPV's? Nobody wants to pay for a one sided jab-fest, the Haye/Valuev fight is the last boxing card I'll ever buy unless they make Mayweather/Pacman happen (which is unlikely).
Boxing cards always have terrible undercards and disappointing main events, it's not worth the money IMO.

Boxing is starting to try and stack their card better. GBP has put a good card together in theory for Shane/mora and the last one they did(marquez/diaz)was good on paper too.

its illegal in boxing for promotions to own belts.the the wbc,wba,ibf,wbo are sanctioning bodies who for a fee will rank a fighter and sanction a title bout.they have rankings,belts but are also hugely corrupt and stupid.The Ring is a boxing magazine that has been around since 1922 and awarding belts since then it has the best rankings and champs and doesn't charge a fighter for the belt.fighters can fight whoever they want

a good breakdown of the abc belts
Navigating Boxing's Alphabet Titles (AKA The Idiot's Guide to Stupidity) Part 1: The WBA - Bad Left Hook
Navigating Boxing's Alphabet Titles Part 4: The WBO - Bad Left Hook
Navigating Boxing's Alphabet Titles Part 2: The WBC - Bad Left Hook
Navigating Boxing's Alphabet Titles Part 3: The IBF - Bad Left Hook

The Ring is the most trusted, I think. It has the only title system that makes any sense. If you're the champ, you only lose the title if you retire, change weights, or are beaten. The only way to become the champ is to beat the reigning champ, or win a contest between the 1st and 2nd or 3rd ranked fighters. Plus they actually explain why they rank fighters where they do.

Does it surprise you that this fight can't sell PPV's? Nobody wants to pay for a one sided jab-fest, the Haye/Valuev fight is the last boxing card I'll ever buy unless they make Mayweather/Pacman happen (which is unlikely).
Boxing cards always have terrible undercards and disappointing main events, it's not worth the money IMO.

Since Haye/Valuev is the only fight you want to see then I highly value your boxing opinions. :icon_chee

Not sad at all. I'll be able to watch it live, with no trouble if I want to watch it on ESPN3, or I can just wait the next day and watch it on ESPN. I can't blame HBO for not picking it up since it'll be live at like 4pm.

Not sad at all. I'll be able to watch it live, with no trouble if I want to watch it on ESPN3, or I can just wait the next day and watch it on ESPN. I can't blame HBO for not picking it up since it'll be live at like 4pm.

I can't blame them for making a buisness decision either.

What do they really get by broadcasting this fight? its on a Saturday, which would compete with CFB, for a fight that on paper looks like snoozefest.

If the klits don't move the needle, which they don't, then i don't see why they should feel obligated to pick this fight up.

Its a smart pick up for ESPN. Its just another event they can add to espn 3, which they're promoting like mad.

Last edited:
Back