How "representative" was this bare knuckle thing?

Yourstepdad

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
"Boxing exposed", "mma > boxing" are the not so subtle underlying messages of the posts i keep reading.

It made me wonder how much this fight really discredits boxing as a combat sport.

Tbh i dont think this freakshow proved shit. It would have to have been a series of fights between different kinds of fighters of different weight classes in the first place.

Despite Malignaggi having been a champion, and technique-wise a solid boxer, he just lacks toughness as a person to win something like this. Had the boxer been Cotto or Hatton or Marquez (for example) I am convinced this would have been a different fight. Malignaggi is the absolute worst contender for a bare knuckle fight.

Apart from this, this "boxing vs mma" thing is just silly. If you have two fighters, equally skilled in their discipline, engaging in a street or vale tudo fight, then naturally the mma guy would likely win cuz duh they can do more shit.

Do i still think that an average person wouldnt stand a single chance vs a (ex) boxing pro? Absolutely.

Last edited:
In the street, a lot of fights are determined by who lands the first punch.

To think boxing doesn't give an advantage in that kind of environment is just ignorant. A boxer can simply throw a punch harder & better than any other mastery or skillset in other sports.

Is it the end all be all? Hell no, too many determining factors. I do know going to the ground in a typical street altercation is the last place in the world someone would want to be though - someone will probably come cheap shot ya and kick ya in the head.

I've been in 2 more serious street altercations and both of them ended in 3 seconds from when they started. Boxing is the reason why & no other reason so it definitely gives an advantage.

This competition thing is stupid. MMA is better at MMA and boxers are better at boxing.

One clear fact is that a man who trains nothing but punching will have a better punch than a man who trains multiple, that is just common sense. Boxers would typically wreck this bare knuckle sport thing - Paulie wasn't a good representative. Put GGG or Keith Thurman or a Pacman in there and murder would happen quickly

In the street, a lot of fights are determined by who lands the first punch.

To think boxing doesn't give an advantage in that kind of environment is just ignorant. A boxer can simply throw a punch harder & better than any other mastery or skillset in other sports.

Is it the end all be all? Hell no, too many determining factors. I do know going to the ground in a typical street altercation is the last place in the world someone would want to be though - someone will probably come cheap shot ya and kick ya in the head.

I've been in 2 more serious street altercations and both of them ended in 3 seconds from when they started. Boxing is the reason why & no other reason so it definitely gives an advantage.

This competition thing is stupid. MMA is better at MMA and boxers are better at boxing.

One clear fact is that a man who trains nothing but punching will have a better punch than a man who trains multiple, that is just common sense. Boxers would typically wreck this bare knuckle sport thing - Paulie wasn't a good representative. Put GGG or Keith Thurman or a Pacman in there and murder would happen quickly

<PlusJuan>
Exactly my thoughts

Malignaggi was really an exceptional bad pick for this

"What if...."

"But what if..."

Jesus, just accept it. Yea if cotto or hatton fought, it would have been different, but would they have fought artem?

"What if...."

"But what if..."

Jesus, just accept it. Yea if cotto or hatton fought, it would have been different, but would they have fought artem?
No they wouldnt have lol
These type of circus shows only attract those too far past it to fight in their own sport to make $$$. Problem is top level boxers make too much money to be enticed by something like that, so you only get the drop outs of the drop outs who go into MMA. I mean, look at Jessie Vargas, guy is a mediocre fighter that sits solidly at the bottom of the top 10 of this division, and he literally makes millions per fight.

If Cotto wanted to make some quick money, he'd come back and box Munguia or Mikey or something for a guaranteed payday that trumps anything he'd make in BKFC.

I imagine Mayorga or Maidana would do well at these sort of things.

I imagine Mayorga or Maidana would do well at these sort of things.
Mayorga? fuck no, not at his advanced age. He can't even beat Boxing journeymen nowadays.
Maidana, maybe. Haven't seen him in the ring since the Mayweather fights.

Back