How patriotic are you?

Personally I don't understand what it means to be a patriot. Does it mean you are loyal to your government? I'm sure some people would deem it more patriotic to oppose the government, especially if the government is corrupt. Are you loyal to the piece of land you live on? Like you're proud of the actual soil and dirt you're standing on? That's oddly specific. Are you loyal to other people with the same nationality? How can you claim that you have some sort of loyalty or connection with millions of other people who you have never met just because you share the same nationality?

I especially don't understand the people who feel pride for the achievements of other people who have the same nationality. I feel it's a lazy way to take credit and feel good about yourself.

So no, I'm obviously not patriotic.

It's a good question. As an American, I do wonder if there can be patriotism without a loyalty to the principles that the Founding Fathers established this nation upon.

Even as a P4P list, placing Belgium as number 1 in 'culture,' and Kenya as tied for the US in contribution to the world (both in the mid 20s), seems so delusional as to be essentially useless.

I think there are some groups out there who make it their mission to make the US out to be as shitty of a country as possible.

Sorry bro, your weather is beyond repair. :D

Also I think you fuckers are too tall. Mix in more Spanish blood or something.

It might be, but it's been pretty decent recently. Some relatively heavy storms though, but that a usual aftermath of hot weather here.

That's why we conquered Indonesia, man. Short ass people in the mix to keep a cap on those grow spurts.

I like my country and people, but aknowledge their lots of flaws. I don't like the flag weaving, except in sporting events. I think being proud of where you were born is stupid.

I think there are some groups out there who make it their mission to make the US out to be as shitty of a country as possible.

The flip side of that, is that there are a lot of people in the US who simply cannot grasp the idea that maybe, they're not "the greatest country in the world". It could be due to the fact that there's no such fucking thing.

So stop your whining and try to act like a man about it ! :icon_chee

i am from a european country (nevermind which one) and i feel nothing towards the concepts that nationalists around here hold dear.

i am one of those naive assholes that looks at the quality of cultures (god i hate people saying all cultures are equally worthy) and isn't narcissistic enough to automatically assume my country's is exceptional. there are countries i see as better than mine, just like there are other i see are pretty shitty.

bottomline, if i were put in the position to chose between the culture of my country and another i find superior, i'd chose the latter in a second.

some of the most patriotic people i know, are recent immigrants who have come to the united states. both of my parents were not born in the u.s., but they are extremely patriotic. they have the american flag flying in front of their home, and always attend fourth of july events, memorial day events, etc. i don't see many americans as patriotic. i think this has to do with the fact that they don't know what it's like to live in a country that does not give you the freedoms and opportunities that america does. not every country has this, which many americans take for granted.

i think it's sad that so many americans are not patriotic.

Last edited:
Yep, I have great pride in my country. That carlin quote, like much of his material, is bs. You can have pride in a great many things you haven't done yourself. I'm filled with pride in my family, and I was just born into it. Proud of my son doing great at guitar, and I didn't do anything with that.

Just keep it within reason, and don't hate on others

This is a solid post.

If only we could get those people to move out of this country and to any other country out there.

south-park-s15e11c11-bro-down-16x9.jpg

Lines on a map drawn by long dead cartographers.

Patriotism is dead.

As others have noted, I don't necessarily know what constitutes patriotism.

If it involves a love of country, then yes, I am extremely patriotic. I am a proud Canadian - it gave my parents and myself opportunities we couldn't have even dreamed of, and it is place I am happy to call home.

It's a good question. As an American, I do wonder if there can be patriotism without a loyalty to the principles that the Founding Fathers established this nation upon.

As a non-American, I value the principles the US was founded on. I don't think those things are necessarily American values, but values anybody can aspire to. My country pays lip service to similar principles, although the government fails to uphold them. I think being patriotic and adhering to principles are separate. Sometimes people evoke patriotism to undermine those principles.

I like living here in the US, but I think being "proud" of it and be is ridiculous and is actually a bad thing in a lot of ways.

The most ironic part about it is that the people who are the proudest and most over the top patriotic to the point of "AMURICA IS THE GREATEST COUNTRY ON EARTH" type of shit have never even left the country to see what the rest of the world might be like before spouting off shit like that.

I'm subtlety patriotic, you won't find me waving the flag or chanting USA but I realize that even with its problems living in the USA is still 100x better than living in most other countries.

I am . . . But the bad kind of immigration has been happening so fast and it seems by people's not caring of many of the resident values and morals. So then it seems that the country's leaders don't care as they should for the history and future path of the country. All that combined hurts patriotism.

The Founding Fathers never ended a sentence with a preposition, you commie! :icon_evil

Back