How patriotic are you?

Yep, I have great pride in my country. That carlin quote, like much of his material, is bs. You can have pride in a great many things you haven't done yourself. I'm filled with pride in my family, and I was just born into it. Proud of my son doing great at guitar, and I didn't do anything with that.

Just keep it within reason, and don't hate on others

8159e6cb4a21106c27d067133f437b95.jpg

You are proud of being an American because you love america and other americans or at least a great portion of other americans.
All us Americans share something---to some degree, maybe it is a similar world view or maybe we have a lot in common---it is shared, not something you own.
It is all part of having self esteem and a positive self image. Carlin was funny but had no fucking pride and zero positive self image. That is why he lashes out on anyone proud.
Then he throws this stupid shit like how tall you are and tries to equate this to being an american or irish.
If you are tall you should stand up tall and be proud to be tall and not fucking slouch.
It really comes down to being happy with who you are. But if you are a miserable old fucking whiny bitch then you have nothing to be proud of and Carlin is a great example of that.

From my biased news sources most don't seem to stand for much of anything other than themselves. I'll give the Swiss credit for something like the Red Cross. Who's leading the way in positive global change that I might be unaware of?

[YT]1X7fZoDs9KU[/YT]

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/ireland-is-the-best-country-in-the-world-according-to-good-country-index-9557358.html

Ireland is the best country in the world because it has made the greatest contributions to humanity and the planet, according to a new survey.

The results were revealed as part of the first ever Good Country Index, which ranks countries by combining 35 separate indicators from the United Nations, the World Bank and other international institutions.

Meanwhile, war-torn Iraq, Libya and Vietnam ranked joint bottom of the survey.

gci_index.png

Watching American pop-culture, you'd get the idea that such a maxim applied to America as well:icon_chee

It's admittedly rather close. There's definite similarities between the individualist heroes of American idealism and the kleptocratic elites of Middle Eastern/Russian/South American systems. They are differences in degree, not kind.

It drifts into parody when you get impoverished Americans lauding the accomplishments of fuck-ups who did little more than inherit or marry their way into money, as if there is never any problem with unmerited wealth and power.

Yep, I have great pride in my country. That carlin quote, like much of his material, is bs.

On good days, I think Carlin was a maverick who just called it like he saw it. On other days I just think he was an asshole.

Yea I have pride in my country and love it warts and all.

I don't normally go around talking about it unless someone talks shit.

Good for them. Probably my favorite Europeans. They're development of anti-flooding technology might save the world soon enough too.

It's pretty sweet to live here, TBH.

Bangladesh is grateful that much I know.

The sad thing is, is that the people that claim to be all for Dutch culture over here exhibit exactly the opposite of those traits that made the Netherlands famous around the world. In a lot of cases they are conservative, intolerant and not big on foreign aid.

Kinda depends on who you speak and where they come from. Small town folks are the most small minded in my experience. I think that's the same in many first world countries though. Party peeps are the most open-minded in my experience, haha.

Honestly, I think that for most the Bush hate is just a trendy bandwagon that they jumped onto without really knowing why. Do you know why?

Well,war crimes for one thing.

And the Rumsfelds & Co surrounding him.

And his stance on environmental issues.

And death penalty.

And abortion.

And his middle eastern policies.

And his inbred Christian Right supporters.

And his general ignorance and lack of culture.

I could go on for ages. But this is not a Bush bashing thread.

The USA's prestige really, really took a hit under W Bush and many people around the world started to look down on America as a result.

Well,war crimes for one thing.

And the Rumsfelds & Co surrounding him.

And his stance on environmental issues.

And death penalty.

And abortion.

And his middle eastern policies.

And his inbred Christian Right supporters.

And his general ignorance and lack of culture.

I could go on for ages. But this is not a Bush bashing thread.

The USA's prestige really, really took a hit under W Bush and many people around the world started to look down on America as a result.

Hmm. . .

Well I support the death penalty and the ousting of Saddam. Abortion I'm kind on the fence about. And I am sympathetic to many on the Christian right because I used to be a right-leaning Christian myself.

My biggest problem with Bush was one you didn't even name: The PATRIOT Act.

Thanks. I can't see the vid but I'll check out that article.

EDIT: Looks like they had to resort to P4P rather than absolute.

To create the list, researchers considered the size of a country's economy, and then assessed its global contributions to science and technology, culture, international peace and security, world order, the planet and climate, prosperity and equality, and the health and well-being of humanity.

It's pretty sweet to live here, TBH.

You're Dutch? My only complaint with The Netherlands would be the weather.

On good days, I think Carlin was a maverick who just called it like he saw it. On other days I just think he was an asshole.

As a social warrior, I respect him. I rarely agree with him, but he has well thought out reasons for his beliefs. As a comedian though, I don't remember laughing at his stuff. It just sounds like a whiney old man who would complain about the weather, no matter how nice it was outside.

That's our disadvantage, yes.

It's interesting that the top 10/15 of basically every index is almost always made up of the same countries. You'll always find the Netherlands (yay!),Australia (yay!) Denmark, Norway, Switzerland etc. topping the lists. Whether it is a happiness index, the HDI, the inequality-adjusted HDI or any of the other indices, you'll almost always find the same countries topping the lists. Of course there's a chance it's all about flaws in the methodology, but I think it undeniable life's pretty good in those countries.

Last edited:

EDIT: Looks like they had to resort to P4P rather than absolute.

I am. Yeah, could be a lot better. Thank God for global warming though. :icon_chee

Even as a P4P list, placing Belgium as number 1 in 'culture,' and Kenya as tied for the US in contribution to the world (both in the mid 20s), seems so delusional as to be essentially useless.

Visit the 'goodcountry' website.

http://goodcountry.org/

Yep, a real powerhouse organization, free of bias.

i served in the military simply b/c i was the first eligible male in 3 generations that hadn't. already had a college degree and decent job. I'm all about America and service to my country

Depends on the day of the week....in general no, not very, all countries have some good shit, and some bad shit...I do however enjoy my fake freedom....

Personally I don't understand what it means to be a patriot. Does it mean you are loyal to your government? I'm sure some people would deem it more patriotic to oppose the government, especially if the government is corrupt. Are you loyal to the piece of land you live on? Like you're proud of the actual soil and dirt you're standing on? That's oddly specific. Are you loyal to other people with the same nationality? How can you claim that you have some sort of loyalty or connection with millions of other people who you have never met just because you share the same nationality?

I especially don't understand the people who feel pride for the achievements of other people who have the same nationality. I feel it's a lazy way to take credit and feel good about yourself.

So no, I'm obviously not patriotic.

Back