How patriotic are you?

I like America, but I wouldn't say I was proud of it. I'm proud of things I directly have a hand in.

I used to feel the same way. We are, after all, ultimately individuals. But like it or not, we inherit our history and we fall into a certain lineage. It's reminiscent of how members of prominent families, for better or worse, will always be associated with that family. A person inherits the history of his or her nation.

The main problem I see is the word "patriot/patriotic" is being hi jacked to mean the love of Jesus the God of War and the hatred of foreigners and thugs.

I think some people have a strong sense about national security. And some think that our culture is slowly being overrun. I am sympathetic to these concerns.

I am an american, but i sexually identify as an attack helicopter. You tell me.
'Murica

I've traveled my fair share, and to me, the US is the greatest country on Earth, a veritable microcosm of the world. It's not perfect, but I'm blessed to live here. I have to admit, though, I rooted for Ivan Drago in Rocky III and I don't own any American flag t-shirts.

The foreigners talking shit does ring true, reminds me of a couple Polish girls I was partying with , then they decided to open a conversation with

"Americans walk around thinking they invented everything!"

I basically turned into the guy with a mullet, bud light, and a giant flag chanting USA at a sporting event. "well what didn't we invent?" *looks of disgust, and silence* ".... the wheel" "WELL IT SURE AS HELL WASN'T POLAND! "

So I totally didn't get laid even though it seemed to be in the bag, but that was way more satisfying in the moment.

Asians invented rice.

I don't see the point in having an inordinate amount of pride in a nation for no reason other than you happened to be randomly born there.

Thanks. I'm trying to let everyone get the gifs and snarky replies out of their system so that the real conversation can begin.

Real discussion could go on for days...

How often we fail to realize our good fortune in living in a country where happiness is more than a lack of tragedy. ~Paul Sweeney

America is much more than a geographical fact. It is a political and moral fact - the first community in which men set out in principle to institutionalize freedom, responsible government, and human equality. ~Adlai Stevenson

"Our country, right or wrong." When right to be kept right; when wrong to be put right. ~Carl Schurz

What is the essence of America? Finding and maintaining that perfect, delicate balance between freedom "to" and freedom "from." ~Marilyn vos Savant,

[P]atriotism... is not short, frenzied outbursts of emotion, but the tranquil and steady dedication of a lifetime. ~Adlai Stevenson

A man's country is not a certain area of land, of mountains, rivers, and woods, but it is a principle; and patriotism is loyalty to that principle. ~George William Curtis

When an American says that he loves his country, he means not only that he loves the New England hills, the prairies glistening in the sun, the wide and rising plains, the great mountains, and the sea. He means that he loves an inner air, an inner light in which freedom lives and in which a man can draw the breath of self-respect. ~Adlai Stevenson

Love your country. Your country is the land where your parents sleep, where is spoken that language in which the chosen of your heart, blushing, whispered the first word of love; it is the home that God has given you that by striving to perfect yourselves therein you may prepare to ascend to him. ~Giuseppe Mazzini

There are those, I know, who will say that the liberation of humanity, the freedom of man and mind, is nothing but a dream. They are right. It is the American dream. ~Archibald MacLeish

Our great modern Republic. May those who seek the blessings of its institutions and the protection of its flag remember the obligations they impose. ~Ulysses S. Grant

What we need are critical lovers of America - patriots who express their faith in their country by working to improve it. ~Hubert H. Humphrey

I used to feel the same way. We are, after all, ultimately individuals. But like it or not, we inherit our history and we fall into a certain lineage. It's reminiscent of how members of prominent families, for better or worse, will always be associated with that family. A person inherits the history of his or her nation.

I think some people have a strong sense about national security. And some think that our culture is slowly being overrun. I am sympathetic to these concerns.

I'm all for national security, no arguments there. I think "culture" is an entirely different topic. Some will say it's being overrun, some will say it's progressing. What I'm getting at is some people seem to associate "patriotism" with being conservative. So they tend to shy away from the term, if they don't subscribe to conservative ideologies. That's just the opinion of a young black man in America though.

The foreigners talking shit does ring true, reminds me of a couple Polish girls I was partying with , then they decided to open a conversation with

I basically turned into the guy with a mullet, bud light, and a giant flag chanting USA at a sporting event. "well what didn't we invent?" *looks of disgust, and silence* ".... the wheel" "WELL IT SURE AS HELL WASN'T POLAND! "

So I totally didn't get laid even though it seemed to be in the bag, but that was way more satisfying in the moment.

That's an awesome story.

I am, but not in an obnoxious way. Just rooting for fellow countrymen and love for the positive things from my culture.

theres nothing more annoying than foreigners start talking about america and american politics like they are experts. you watch it on tv, that doesnt make you an expert.

I'm pretty patriotic. I don't try to force it on others, though.

I consider myself patriotic, but Republicans have kinda ruined patriotism for the rest of us so I don't talk about it much. I think America, despite her many faults, still stands for greater ideals than essentially any other nation on Earth. We were the first modern nation founded on a set of positive ideals rather than ethnic, tribal, or religious grounds and that's something to be proud of.

I consider myself patriotic, but Republicans have kinda ruined patriotism for the rest of us so I don't talk about it much. I think America, despite her many faults, still stands for greater ideals than essentially any other nation on Earth. We were the first modern nation founded on a set of positive ideals rather than ethnic, tribal, or religious grounds and that's something to be proud of.

So what do all the other nations stand for? I assume you know.

So what do all the other nations stand for? I assume you know.

From my biased news sources most don't seem to stand for much of anything other than themselves. I'll give the Swiss credit for something like the Red Cross. Who's leading the way in positive global change that I might be unaware of?

From my biased news sources most don't seem to stand for much of anything other than themselves. I'll give the Swiss credit for something like the Red Cross. Who's leading the way in positive global change that I might be unaware of?

That's most, not all and it's not very accurate or well backed up. I wouldn't make a claim like he did based on what you presented.

That's most, not all and it's not very accurate or well backed up. I wouldn't make a claim like he did based on what you presented.

So you want to split hairs between "most" and "than essentially any other"? That's fine, but can you name a few names?

Wtf this post is embarassing. lol.

theres nothing more annoying than foreigners start talking about america and american politics like they are experts. you watch it on tv, that doesnt make you an expert.

Where do you watch American politics?

Back