How patriotic are you?

G

Guestx

How patriotic would you consider yourself to be?

As an American, I've noticed a growing trend among younger people where they have no sense of pride in their country. If anything, they are infected with the opposite, a sense that it's not okay to appreciate the nation they were born in or to have a love for their homeland.

Now I can understand how one can feel like Diogenes when he said, "I am neither a Greek nor an Athenian, but a citizen of the world." And in a sense, sure, we're all citizens of the world. We are all a part of humanity. But we also have a certain place that we were born, a place with its own history and sovereignty.

I will be the first to say that America is not a perfect nation. We have some pretty unfortunate pieces of our history that are shameful. But I also am proud of the principles upon which this country was founded and the opportunities it has afforded to millions of people.

In fact, the older I get the more patriotic I become. The more I understand that my country is my country and that I should feel proud about that.

So how patriotic would you say YOU are? And why?

Pyr699Q.gif

[YT]fgGnVd9vaKk[/YT]

[YT]MIgc6k1od0g[/YT]

Last edited:
Oscar Wilde- Patriotism is a virtue of the viscous. I agree with him and add to that the cowardly criminals hide behind the good honest people to disguise there bad actions.

I tend to think that those few that actually follow the rules are the true human people remaining the flawed ones that continue to break rules not so much so. :icon_chee

Last edited:
How patriotic would you consider yourself to be?

As an American, I've noticed a growing trend among younger people where they have no sense of pride in their country. If anything, they are infected with the opposite, a sense that it's not okay to appreciate the nation they were born in or to have a love for their homeland.

Now I can understand how one can feel like Diogenes when he said, "I am neither a Greek nor an Athenian, but a citizen of the world." And in a sense, sure, we're all citizens of the world. We are all a part of humanity. But we also have a certain place that we were born, a place with its own history and sovereignty.

I will be the first to say that America is not a perfect nation. We have some pretty unfortunate pieces of our history that are shameful. But I also am proud of the principles upon which this country was founded and the opportunities it has afforded to millions of people.

In fact, the older I get the more patriotic I become. The more I understand that my country is my country and that I should feel proud about that.

So how patriotic would you say YOU are? And why?

Kidding aside. Nice Post. Ideals of the nation are great.

I like America, but I wouldn't say I was proud of it. I'm proud of things I directly have a hand in.

The main problem I see is the word "patriot/patriotic" is being hi jacked to mean the love of Jesus the God of War and the hatred of foreigners and thugs.

US citizen here.
I think we put way to much emphasis on which side of political boundaries we just happen to be born. I am proud of things I worked hard for personally and also can recognize how lucky I have been due to random chance, but I had little to do with this country's storied history or past so I don't feel any pride or patriotism for it. I also think on many measures that matter, the US is slipping and we shouldn't* be as proud as some of us are.

I am the type of person who always roots for an underdog and that might be part of it - perhaps if I was born in a small developing or war torn country I'd appreciate what I have moreso and feel patriotic.

Last edited:
The foreigners talking shit does ring true, reminds me of a couple Polish girls I was partying with , then they decided to open a conversation with

"Americans walk around thinking they invented everything!"

I basically turned into the guy with a mullet, bud light, and a giant flag chanting USA at a sporting event. "well what didn't we invent?" *looks of disgust, and silence* ".... the wheel" "WELL IT SURE AS HELL WASN'T POLAND! "

So I totally didn't get laid even though it seemed to be in the bag, but that was way more satisfying in the moment.

The foreigners talking shit does ring true, reminds me of a couple Polish girls I was partying with , then they decided to open a conversation with

"Americans walk around thinking they invented everything!"

I basically turned into the guy with a mullet, bud light, and a giant flag chanting USA at a sporting event. "well what didn't we invent?" *looks of disgust, and silence* ".... the wheel" "WELL IT SURE AS HELL WASN'T POLAND! "

So I totally didn't get laid even though it seemed to be in the bag, but that was way more satisfying in the moment.

I don't know what they were actually aiming at, but the majority of things in history wasn't invented by Americans. They have taken over by far in the last century or so, but before then, it was all about other great nations inventing things.

Back