How optimistic are you about the M-RNA vaccine(s) for COVID?

How long will it be before enough people get the vaccine to reopen everything completely?

• Before the Summer

• Mid-Summer

• Fall

• Next Winter or later

• Never

Results are only viewable after voting.
Vaccine passport dependent on a vaccine for a Corona virus? Remind me how many other successful Corona virus vaccines we have?

Yeah, I don't buy it.

My first concern is just how effective the vaccine will be. I think there is something like 240 different covid virus strains and none of them offer full or long lasting immunities. You can catch the same strain of cold virus in a year. Although the vaccine triggers an immune response it's not clear how long it will last and how much protection it will provide.

I'm less so but still concerned with the distribution. My understanding there isn't a hospital in my state that is set up with necessary equipment to house the vaccine. This can be overcome but presents a challenge. I'm in Hawaii so we are very remote. The state is terrible at managing this sort of thing which is another concern.
The good news for you is they reported just this morning that another vaccine from Moderna is looking as good as or better than the Pfizer one and it can be stored in a normal fridge after thawing.

Summer at the earliest. I have a HARD time believing enough people will get it within the next 6 months let alone the next few months.

Vaccine passport dependent on a vaccine for a Corona virus? Remind me how many other successful Corona virus vaccines we have?

Yeah, I don't buy it.
I suggested it only as a way to validate someone is safe to travel so we wouldn't have to wait until it is fully under control to loosen border controls and allow limited tourism. I'm not suggesting it as a mandatory measure other than in that context.

Everything is basically open already accept for restaurants in certain places. The winter weather states are fucked in that regard. The vaccine will not result in heard immunity until summer 2021.

There likely won't be large amounts of an FDA approved vaccine available to the public until the latter half of 2021.

Also, in addition to Pfizer/BioNTech, Moderna also just released some data today
https://investors.modernatx.com/new...-vaccine-candidate-meets-its-primary-efficacy

". This first interim analysis was based on 95 cases, of which 90 cases of COVID-19 were observed in the placebo group versus 5 cases observed in the mRNA-1273 group, resulting in a point estimate of vaccine efficacy of 94.5% (p <0.0001)."

"Moderna intends to submit for an Emergency Use Authorization (EUA) with U.S. FDA in the coming weeks and expects the EUA to be based on the final analysis of 151 cases and a median follow-up of more than 2 months"

Both are mRNA vaccines.

One advantage Modernas vaccine has over Pfizers is that it can be stored at 4C. Pfizers needs to be stored at -70C, which a lot of hospitals are not yet equipped to handle.

All in all, quite hopeful that these two companies have vaccines with acceptable safety profiles and high efficacy. It seems like a decent possibility that other vaccines candidates, including non-mRNA ones, will have high efficacy as well. The timeline until we reach herd immunity through vaccinations may not be as instant as people would like, but at least it is well within sight.
That is a very good reason for imposing tough restrictions in the mean time to limit unnecessary death and serious illness until they achieve some measure of local containment or the vaccine is available.

The good news for you is they reported just this morning that another vaccine from Moderna is looking as good as or better than the Pfizer one and it can be stored in a normal fridge after thawing.
Russia also have a vaccine with 94% reported effectiveness. Although that probably won't be available in the West because of politics.

Watching you attempt to save face is cute. You are like one of those cute little pudgy incel basement dwellers smashing away on the keyboard. I'm sorry you don't understand that a 6 month period, a 1.5 month period and next year are not a normal range.
I'm sorry you don't understand that a made up poll asking a more or less open question to generate discussion doesn't have to have precise intervals and I'm sorry your reading comprehension is so poor that you keyed in on the 6 months part of my post and got confused. I'll change it to make it clearer for you so you can stop whining.

Edit: correction, I can't change the wording, only add more poll options. Sorry, you'll just have to get over it.

Russia also have a vaccine with 94% reported effectiveness. Although that probably won't be available in the West because of politics.
Because they also didn't do the due diligence first so there's for more reason to doubt its safety. It's not politics.

Everything is basically open already accept for restaurants in certain places. The winter weather states are fucked in that regard. The vaccine will not result in heard immunity until summer 2021.
That's more or less my view as well. At least in the States. Here in Canada a targeted approach might help up get up and running more quickly since there are relatively large pockets of very few cases here and there across the country.

i think i might be able to work from the office in september/october of 2021 if there are no other surprises. Please let 2021 be somewhat normal and boring.

every commercial that is on TV pushing some dumb drug has insane side-effects...yeah i wonder why someone would be hesitant to take a vaccine for a cold

There likely won't be large amounts of an FDA approved vaccine available to the public until the latter half of 2021.

Also, in addition to Pfizer/BioNTech, Moderna also just released some data today
https://investors.modernatx.com/new...-vaccine-candidate-meets-its-primary-efficacy

". This first interim analysis was based on 95 cases, of which 90 cases of COVID-19 were observed in the placebo group versus 5 cases observed in the mRNA-1273 group, resulting in a point estimate of vaccine efficacy of 94.5% (p <0.0001)."

"Moderna intends to submit for an Emergency Use Authorization (EUA) with U.S. FDA in the coming weeks and expects the EUA to be based on the final analysis of 151 cases and a median follow-up of more than 2 months"

Both are mRNA vaccines.

One advantage Modernas vaccine has over Pfizers is that it can be stored at 4C. Pfizers needs to be stored at -70C, which a lot of hospitals are not yet equipped to handle.

All in all, quite hopeful that these two companies have vaccines with acceptable safety profiles and high efficacy. It seems like a decent possibility that other vaccines candidates, including non-mRNA ones, will have high efficacy as well. The timeline until we reach herd immunity through vaccinations may not be as instant as people would like, but at least it is well within sight.
Further, none of the serious cases were from the vaccinated group. That’s important.

Further, none of the serious cases were from the vaccinated group. That’s important.
Yes, they were saying the vaccine is effective at reducing the severity of illness with the ones who did get sick. All in all pretty good news.

Any of you most pessimistic (in terms of the poll) people want to comment on the reason?

One thing about the Mrna vaccines is that they are apparantly easier and quicker to make, so i suppose the delay will be in administering them, not based on a shortage. Im hopeful next summer will be one to celebrate.

The MRNA process is kind of unnerving. They inject a messenger protein who makes your own cells produce the spike protein of the virus, and then the body has an immune reaction to it. I'd be worried of autoimmune reactions. They know about it and I assume they're monitoring for it.

Yes, they were saying the vaccine is effective at reducing the severity of illness with the ones who did get sick. All in all pretty good news.
Agree. And now J&J targeting February for theirs. Welcome news after the year we’ve had.

Back