How old were you when you got into Kickfighting sports?

VicariousVice

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Doesn't matter which one it is. Which did you first witness? And what was your age?

I was 5 when I started taekwondo and 10 when I started Muay Thai. I grew up with the stuff, because my dad used to own a gym here in Rotterdam.

i was 5 or 6 when i started white mans karate
at the age of 11 a Brazillian priest called Father Vincent taught me and a couple of other lads some judo throws and some leg and arm locks, which in hindsight i came to recognise as kimuras and heel hooks. this was back in 1986 though, and at 11 it was just a cool way to make other kids scream in the playground.
i won't go into the part of the story where the priest used to take us into the basement of the church to show us these moves, it does make me wonder now...

As a kid I took Karate and had a blue senior belt (blue w/ white stripe) before quiting.

When I was in high school, 16 or 17 years old. Got into karate first and soon discovered kickboxing (PKA/WKA full contact) from the karate magazines of the era and have been hooked ever since.

The first kickboxing I ever saw on tv was the fights they used to show on CBS Sports Spectacular every once in a while, mostly PKA stuff. I also remember a show back then called "World Championship Kickboxing From Thailand" which was Muay Thai of course. They would show the MT back to back with a boxing show where one of the announcers was a guy named Lou Nova and he would always try to guess within the first 20 seconds of the fight which boxer would win. Any of you old timers here remember either of these 2 shows, they were shown on an Asian foreign language channel ? I'm talking late 1970's here.

Thanigul Gym, Wim Vlieger's gym. The gym was first located in Sportdorp, close to the Kuip and from 2005 till 2010 in the Beverwaard.

Nice, eerlijk gezegd nooit van gehoord. Zelf bij boxing 82 (ook zuid) en later bij team furious getraind.

Nice, eerlijk gezegd nooit van gehoord. Zelf bij boxing 82 (ook zuid) en later bij team furious getraind.
Bij Boxing '82 heb ik nog een tijdje in de ochtned gebokst. Is een leuke school. Ik ben nog nooit bij Team Furious geweest en ken het eigenlijk alleen omdat Mandela Antone en Ismael Londt daar train(d)en.

Bij Boxing '82 heb ik nog een tijdje in de ochtned gebokst. Is een leuke school. Ik ben nog nooit bij Team Furious geweest en ken het eigenlijk alleen omdat Mandela Antone en Ismael Londt daar train(d)en.

Heb na een paar jaar stil gezeten te hebben weer boksen opgepikt bij Furious. Mandela zie ik daar haast nooit meer, groot talent.

Not really a kickfighting sport, but I started karate when I was 11.

I always wanted to do Karate but my mum never let me lol, saw a bit of K1 and heard stuff about MT as i got older and at 23 in thailand gave it a taster, came home and found
a well respected gym was right on my doorstep so plucked up the courage to go down haha...im 32 now :-(

12 years old and still going strong 20 years on (Muay Thai)

Started martial arts with Judo at 5. Gave a little run to boxing at 12 then started Muaythai at 13 in the same gym as Dany Bill

Turned 30 2 months ago and now proudly coaching those young guns

Back