How often you should eat meat?

James37

White Belt
Reaction score
Traditional diets for athletes consisted of a high percentage of meat. It seems that researchers are now suggesting maximum of 10% of *animal* protein in athletes diets because of a fatigue caused by too much animal protein and fats. Supposedly they are difficult to break down and use up a great amount of energy for digestion and assimilation.

Can 10% be true? What's the latest research on this?

Last edited:
I guess the balance (like with everything in life) is the key. Its up to an individual, and how their metabolism deals with meat but... it would be good to hear from knowledgeable posters about the latest recommendations about the animal protein.

It seems that researchers are now suggesting maximum of 10% of animal protein in athletes diets because of a fatigue caused by too much animal protein and fats...What's the latest research on this?

Hey James,

Can you give us a link to this research please? It's a little confusing because you end the same paragraph asking us what the latest research is on this. Am I to infer that your research is dated?

Thanks,

Ren

Hey, Ren.

With so much (crappy) info out there its always good to ask for sources. I'm *asking* about recommendations (about the consumption of animal protein) because I had some doubts about 10% too.

If anyone knows the latest research/recommendations on this please post it.

EDIT: I can't remember where I read that. It was an online article from one of the sports magazines.

If anyone knows the latest research/recommendations on this please post it.

The state of peer reviewed research in nutrition for the general public, let alone for athletes, is pretty atrocious.

If you wanted me to find you "the latest findings", I'd probably ask "which result do you want", and could then go fishing for the paper that gives that result. Do you want the "athletes should eat no grains" result, or the "athletes should avoid saturated fats" results, or the "athletes don't really need more protein than normal people" result?

You could wander over to Lyle McDonald's site if you want to browse through the writings of someone who is paying attention to the variety of research that has been coming through in the last decade or so.

I ate half a pound of bacon for breakfast and actually have filet mignon on the grill for lunch right now ... I had skirt steak for dinner last night and made tacos for lunch yesterday

if i am dying my cmp and lipid panel i got this morning will hopefully inform me

I ate half a pound of bacon for breakfast and actually have filet mignon on the grill for lunch right now ... I had skirt steak for dinner last night and made tacos for lunch yesterday

if i am dying my cmp and lipid panel i got this morning will hopefully inform me

I'm coming over to your place for dinner.

I still don't understand the context of a diet consisting of 10% animal protein.

On the one hand, we could interpret this as 10% of a total diet consisting of animal protein. On the other hand, we could interpret this as 10% of a diet's total protein coming from animal-sources.

If it's the former, what was their recommendation for the other 90% of the diet?

Which kind of athletes are we talking about anyway? I'm not trying to be a stickler but it's a vague post and I don't think we can generalize diets for all athletes because the goals are too different.

Another nutritionist to check out is John Berardi if you haven't already.

John Berardi! Thanks for that one. Great stuff.

From what I remember they said 60% complex carbs. It wasn't clear to me what athletes they had in mind. I found the 10% animal protein statement interesting and wanted to ask about it.

Take how many times you eat in a day and multiply that by one. Thats how often you should be eatin meat.

Back