1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

how often to take rest?

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by groin striker, Sep 19, 2005.

1. toufeksian Orange Belt

i know this could be extreme and i probably have catabolized muscle fiber, but recently i made a 7 day fasting (no food at all) and i have to say , i loose a lot of strenght in bench , and some presses , but strange is , my arms where a hell of a lot stronger

2. STOMP Yellow Belt

when i take my weeks off they are usually about one every three moths or so. i will still usually do two or three days of cardio though? when everyone takes time off do you take it completely off or do you still do some training?

3. groin striker Orange Belt

I just did nothing for the week just a few press ups mid week, i felt great when I came back stronger and bigger!

4. Funkster Green Belt

Your numbers went down but you say you were stronger? How does that work out?

Fasting is a bad idea.

5. rickdog Purple Belt

Most likely the problems you have gaining, stem from lame workouts. If what you listed is all that you are doing then my advice would be to read the stickies and train your legs and back. If you neglect those areas your gains will be minimal at best and you will remain weak.

6. JamieO Yellow Belt

So, do you guys take off all working out?
    I usually take off every fifth week from lifting, but i still run, and spar.

7. Zeirhk Green Belt

Does that 1 week rest thing also work for newbies ?

8. STILL LIFE Yellow Belt

Thank's Rick, just started squatting and deadlifts.

9. RE: Westside...

I have read articles by Louie that seem to indicate they train nonstop. For instance doing boxsquats on Monday, Hill Sprints on Tuesday, and sled drags on Wed....it would however be a misconception, I think, to say they never take time off away from working out.