How often do you test your PR or 1 rep max

6StingHero

Green Belt
Reaction score
Just like the title says how often do you attempt your person record or 1 rep max on any certain exercise. Only reason I ask is I 've just started lifting again after about half a year off and I have not once tried to test my max at any exercise. The main reason why I haven't is because I work out in my basement and only have 315 pounds plus the bar in free weights and can both squat and dead lift 315 relatively easy. I don't have a spotter so BP is out of the question.

I would just like to get a certain idea on how often I should go to the gym and try them out.

I'm not on any set schedule. I usually just wait until I feel like I've made a lot of progress on a particular lift. I also think that most people test too often.

The same as Old Man - not really a set schedule, just when I feel it's time. It's usually once a month, but here lately, it's been more like once every three or four months.

And for the record, I used to try and schedule out my PR attempts, but that ultimately led to me not being ready when the day arrived.

When I'm O-lifting every saturday, but it's not like a competition max it's pretty conservative, because I suck at it. Except my shoulders are fucked so now it will be before Smolov Jr. and after Smolov jr, so every 4th week.

I think it really depends on what you are lifting for. I belive maxing in Westside and Olympic templates is in part to get you used to going for it, because maxing is your sport. However if you are looking for strength for other reasons then you can test it less frequently because your indicator so to speak is your other sport or just life.

Just some ideas I've had.

Normally I just max when I feel like it like Lusst and Old Man though, because like Lusst said if I plan it out then I will end up doing it on a shitty day.

I usually only max the big three once every 4-6 weeks. Depends on what type of cycle I'm on, how far out from competition, and how I'm feeling.

Well I'm doing a 12 week cycle now, so I will max at the end of that. I'd assume I may just lift on my own after that for a bit then try a new cycle. So I would geuss about 3 times a year. I'd much rather hit PR's on 3's or 5's and get the workload in.

Generally at the end of a cycle before hopping into something new.

But I'll also occasionally do a big lift on a whim. Something in the wind makes me do it.

Used to do it every two or three weeks, rarely do it these days.

Tomorrow. which is about two months or more from my last PR trys

When I care what my numbers are, I PR at least one lift a week. When I don't care, I could go 2-3 months without PRing. For example, now I'm in a bunch of contests so I'm PRing squat every week (3 contests involve squat)

I'm not in any bench contests, so I haven't PRed bench in forever.

You just wait until Ascendant gets my pay off to break your kneecap.

Stay classy, Ohio.

nakerrigan.jpg

I apologise in advance for hijacking this thread, but I don't have have enough privleges to start a new one. Mods please remove if not appropriate.

I've been running the Tactical Barbell program with good success for the last 6 months or so, and a few days ago I ran the final workout before a scheduled one rep max PR attempt. I was working shoulder press singles at 95% and strained my right trap area during the lift (but not so badly that I couldn't finish the workout). I attribute this to my workout schedule being thrown off by the holiday season, and not warming up properly.

I'm scheduled to make my PR attempt tomorrow, but I'm not healed yet. It's not a bad strain and I think I'll be good in a week or so, but just want to give myself the best chance.

My question is what can I do for the meantime that ensures I haven't lost all my hard work when I test my PRs? Light work sets? No lifting at all?

I suppose the deeper question is how long before your 1 rep maxes start to regress due to undertraining/inactivity?

When the conditions are right. I’m in my late 30s, two little kids, so basically almost never. I don’t compete in powerlifting so it’s largely irrelevant for me anyway. If I need to know my 1RM for a program, I’ll just base it off a comfortable single that I’m pretty sure I could hit any day, even with shitty sleep and stress. More often than not, those are my training conditions anyway.

Back