How often do you do you buy a new PC desktop computer?

How often do you do you buy a new PC desktop computer?

• Total voters
Microcenter will put it together for 50 bucks. I built mine but whenever I think of the hassles and shitty cable management, I should have just let them put it together.

Upgrades are spaced out more just due Moore's Law being dead and multi core CPUs aren't seeing full utilization. Back when I was growing up, computer speeds were doubling like every 2 years. Now you just get more cores. A good gaming rig still hangsits hat on single core speed. My I7-9700k probably has another 2 -3 years of good gaming life.
It's $150 and that's only for air cooled systems.

I only have a MacBook Proand I've had it since 2011. I replaced the HDD with a SSD which sped everything up. I could do with getting more RAM for it but other than that it works fine.

For me, a full upgrade is at least 6-7 years.

I have been running a rig since 2018 but I have upgraded the GPU on it twice. Had to swap out power supplies too, added some SSDs and RAM but other than that, the CPU, motherboard, original SSD and case are the same.

Just recently got an RTX 4080 and I think I'll be good for 2-3 years. I was contemplating upgrading the CPU (currently on i7 9700K) but apparently the benefit isn't there just yet.

Last edited:
I built my current desktop in 2017 but I’ve also since put a new gpu in it (replacing a 1080ti). I’ll probably build a new one in the next year or so, I dunno. This one is still performing very well.

I have a second mini itx with a 3080ti in it that I built in 2021

Every 6 or 7 years. I do at least one GPU upgrade in that cycle, maybe a CPU/Ram one too.

For me, a full upgrade is at least 6-7 years.

I have been running a rig since 2018 but I have upgraded the GPU on it twice. Had to swap out power supplies too, added some SSDs and RAM but other than that, the CPU, motherboard, original SSD and case are the same.

Just recently got an RTX 4080 and I think I'll be good for 2-3 years. I was contemplating upgrading the CPU (currently on i7 9700K) but apparently the benefit isn't there just yet.

I got the same processor clocked up to 5.1 ghz. I don't get much choking if I am not running at 1080 with a 7900 xtx. People talk about choking but I ONLY got a 175 hz monitor which is the slow link in any choking scenario.

7 or 8 years. I go high end but one notch below the cream of the crop because for the most part that price premium for the absolute best isn't worth the premium.

build every 8ish years but when i build its all top end for the time.

Wow. This thread made me realize my computer is old. Bought it from Costco back in December of 2016.

OMEN by HP Desktop - Intel Core i7 - 16GB Memory - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 - 256GB Solid State Drive + 2TB Hard Drive

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
durbanik916
Back