how often do you change up your game??

FXG

Orange Belt
Reaction score
i have had the same rolling partners for about 3 1/2 years now and i have gone through the roller coaster of training. months of domination and months of getting worked. i have taught myself to change up my entire game every few months as a reaction to my rolling partners getting used to my game. i feel like this has allowed me to constantly improve my game even though training with the same guys for so long...

anyone else have this going on or have any advise for my next change?...

I am a guard player and had to change my guard style according to my training partners.

At the moment, I am into sit up guard because they learned how to neutralise my DLR.

It seems like I'm changing what I do on a week to week basis. What I do works, I get two or three uses out of it per person and then it's pretty much a dead move unless I change up the set up, or trick them.

It just keeps me evolving. My favorite thing is when I had a great move, a staple part of my game that I had to remove because people were capitalizing on it and then I teach the move a year or two later and remember how great of a move it is, then I use it for 2 or 3 good repetitions on people until I remember why I removed it from my game, then back to the other rotation of moves.

I thought that I changed my game constantly, but when I reviewed footage of myself competing I realized that I do pretty much the same core stuff that I have always done. I prioritize those skills differently now and changed the order that I do things in a lot, if that makes any sense.

The major aspect of my game that change the most technically out of everything are my guard passing. That seems to change the most because the styles of guard that people play are constantly changing. Most of the other stuff stays the same for me.

I work new auxilary games fairly often, just to be aware of different types of movement, but the core stuff is pretty consistent.

I like to change it up every few weeks just so I don't solely rely on one position and to keep my training partners on their toes.

happens by accident every now and then when i become unbalanced

So I was getting really good at the halfguard, every single last person in my school eventually stops trying to pass from the knees in favor of passing standing. So I get really good at the DLR and figure out how to shut down the standing passes and sure enough they go back to the knees. Fuckers. I love bjj!!! If you get really good at a move and they can't shut it down... they will start fighting it further upstream.

Early to mid white belt was a guard player. Mid white belt to early blue belt was a transitional player focusing on dominant hand poisition. Rest of blue belt I was a submission hunter relentlessly chasing subs from any and everywhere. Late blue belt early purple belt I became a minimalist focusing on getting as much control as possible with the fewest possible techniques. Currently I'm focusing on being a mount player with every technique focused in on getting to mount holding it and finishing from there.

I have been working my TD's and top game so much that if I end up on my back all I do no is work back to standing. I haven't subbed anyone from guard in almost a month. I used to hate top position now I'm stuck too it.

i change my game evertime i roll in practice... Thats where you are suppose to change it right??? I try new moves and work them in with my moves i already know.. It does come to some points where my training partners are resisting somethign they know I can get easly and that where i usually capitalize on the alternates to the moves i know or try the new stuff out.. what the worst that can happen.. You get tapped out by them and START ALL OVER??? Thats how you learn and get better.

Just focus on different things when I roll. Then depending what happens mix it up. nothing special.

Back