How much will long distance running hurt my strength gains?

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by Artigo, Aug 17, 2010.

1. Artigo

Artigo Blue Belt

I know this has been discussed ad nauseum, but I just want a definitive answer. I will be leaving for USAF basic in about two months and I need to start running since I never do that, however strength/size gain is still my main concern (since I'm going to lose some of it while there) and will always be my priority, however I need to start running if I want to do well on their PT tests.

I'm doing Madcow's 5x5 + sledge grip work. When should I run?

2. Indivdude

Indivdude Blue Belt

Are you just going to run a bit without a goal in mind before you arrive at the base? Or do you want to be able to reach a specific time or below? If you do, might be worthwhile to kick back on the days per week on the 5x5 to focus on the running.

You might not have to though. You could just run on the off days or after the workouts.

3. Artigo

Artigo Blue Belt

I want to run a 12 min 1.5 mile at least

I have no idea how fast I could run it right now

4. Indivdude

Indivdude Blue Belt

WEll depending on how out of shape you are (since I don't know your routine and how far along you are on cardio), start off with walking or jogging. However if you have done or are doing cardio but just didn't really care about how fast you ran a mile, then just keep doing what you're doing but increase your speed over time. For better or more accurate info, I would wait for the more informed posters on cardio.

5. Artigo

Artigo Blue Belt

Well I'm not out of shape, I mean I can run just fine I just don't since I'm much more worried about getting stronger. Worst case scenario is that I can run a 9:30/10 minute mile, but I think that may be underestimating myself.

6. pliftkl

pliftkl Green Belt

You should start running now and not worry about it hurting your strength gains. You'll have plenty of time to lift again after basic training, and you aren't going to lose that much muscle mass.

Basic training would be a really crappy time to figure out that you get shin splints when your mileage goes up over 10 miles a week. Concentrate on slowly ramping up your running over the next couple months to the point where you can comfortably run 20 miles a week (at any pace).

7. AF_TX

AF_TX White Belt

Good advice. Plus keep working on basic bodyweight movements, just to make things easier on yourself. I'd aim for a 11 minute 1.5 mile before you head to San Antonio. You'll have time to lift once you get to tech school.

8. JRT6

JRT6 Black Belt

Training for the 1.5 run shouldn't effect your strength at all unless you seriously over train. Training for a 10k or more is a different matter. I ran the 1.5 in under 10 mins a few years ago and I was weighing nearly 260lbs.

9. scoopj

scoopj ackson

I would agree with what has already been said but add to make sure you fuel accordingly. If you're adding 20 miles/week, you probably need to increase your food intake by about 250-300 calories per day. That will help you maintain strength and size.

10. Forgottoduck

Forgottoduck Orange Belt

Agree with this, 1.5 miles is not far at all. More work on the lungs and the heart than the legs if they are in decent shape.

You may find your leg strength may go up as oxygen is more readily available to the leg muscles after some running training.

11. Artigo

Artigo Blue Belt

Alright guys thanks for the help, I'll just start running and steadily increase my speed.