How much training?

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by BigKO34, Jun 16, 2008.

1. BigKO34

BigKO34 Blue Belt

In the heavyweight forum, the Aoki vs. Penn debate is raging on again. However, a couple of the comments about how BJ's win at Mundials was years made me think.

BJ's win was years ago now, and he has been training for MMA and not sport BJJ since then. However, he still trains with top notch BJJ guys. So, how much of his game(if any) do you think he has lost since he won Mundials? I'm just not good enough to know how much training it would take to maintain such a high level.

2. whipyourasstyle

whipyourasstyle Exitus acta probat

A natural like Penn would be able to retain top BJJ comp form in a matter of a few months in the gi. Maybe even less.

Now the question is could he still hang with the best of the best in gi comp??? probably not, but that is just my opinion.

3. Deloitte

Deloitte Blue Belt

BJ "THE PRODIGY" Penn is amazing at everything except maybe cardio, that's still questionable!

4. Rowan11088

Rowan11088 Purple Belt

Sure he could still hang with some additional practice, he's just as talented, if not more so, as anyone at the top right now. But I think he prefers punching people in the face.

5. Gsoares2***

Gsoares2*** Banned Banned

As long as he is in shape the majority of his ability is retained. A perfect example is Braulio Estima.

Who was off his knee from last year up untill 1 month before the mundials.

With only one month of training Braulio was able to reach the finals in the Mundials - with little to no training for a long long time.

I felt the same when i came back from a big gap in training. My conditioning wasnt there but i still knew what to do and only took a few training sessions to get my timing on par. His experience and know how is still there.. his conditioning is probably above and beyond what it was to take the mundials.. if he wanted the title again, i think he could get it.

6. -Jonny-

-Jonny- White Belt

I'm sure it's like riding a bike for BJ.

7. DaDiazBros**

DaDiazBros** Banned Banned

BJ still trains traditional BJJ and says that he still trains with a gi. You could go to his website right now and see some of his training videos.

8. BenWS

BenWS Orange Belt

I think bj is probably better now then he is when he won the mundials. Would he win the mundials now? Thats debatable imo.

9. Q mystic

Q mystic Silver Belt

He seems to have such a deep base in both that I would think almost no time flat to peak in either. The cutting edge stuff would vary from opponent to opponent.

10. Chinaboxer

Chinaboxer Blue Belt

i think it's all about "focus". He's proven that he can do whatever he "focuses" on and succeed. Right now, his profession is MMA fighting. But if he ever decided to compete in a Gi again, i'm sure he would drop the MMA and like a laser beam, focus on pure Gi work and do extremely well.