How much training would it take for top pro boxers to completely dominate the UFC?

lmao dude boxing skill is overrated as fuck.

Deontay Wilder never stepped foot in a boxing gym until he was 20 years old and won an Olympic medal 2-years later and is now like 30-0 in pro boxing. He was just some dude off the street and started beating these guys who trained for the Olympics since they were 6-years old.

That elite level striking though....what happened?

Wilder has fought nobody worth a damn, really. Just a bunch of no hopers and washed up boxers (Arreola most recently). You don't follow boxing at all if you think he's some great heavyweight just because he has one title (the green belt, WBC) and almost all of his wins by knockout. He's a big athletic guy that's powerful but his technique is terrible and he has a lot of holes in his game.

He never won an Olympic gold medal either, he won a bronze. Joe Louis' nickname was the "Brown Bomber", and since he won bronze, so this is why his nickname is the "Bronze Bomber".

Last edited:
For a top level pro boxer to completely dominate MMA. Probably would need 4 to 6 years of dedicated wrestling training while concurrently training bjj. To do well and compete with MMA fighters who are are almost exclusively strikers they would need a couple of years of kickboxing/muay thai. Remember back in 2012 when Wonderboy fought Matt brown. W-boy was something like 60-0 amateur plus pro as a kickboxer. Doing back flips with twists after wins. Good fight but Brown beat W-boys head in on the ground

But look at him now... Only a few years later.

Wilder has fought nobody worth a damn, really. Just a bunch of no hopers and washed up boxers (Arreola most recently). You don't follow boxing at all if you think he's some great heavyweight just because he has one title (the green belt, WBC) and almost all of his wins by knockout. He's a big athletic guy that's powerful but his technique is terrible.

He never won an Olympic gold medal either, he won a bronze. Joe Louis' nickname was the "Brown Bomber", he won bronze, so this is why his nickname is the "Bronze Bomber".

I never said he won a gold, I'm just saying if someone can never box and then win any olympic medal after only 2-years it demonstrates how much boxing "skill" is overrated. Just like MMA if you're a good athlete like Wilder you can beat guys with 10x the technique as you.

I'm just tired of hearing this bullshit about "elite striking" when MMA fighters routinely kick K-1 champions ass in kickboxing, boxers would get their ass kicked trying to move to a sport that's completely different they're not going to suddenly start dancing around and show an amazing striking performance we've never seen from MMA guys.

Amir Khan wants to come to MMA apparently and has been training, if he fights in the UFC he's going to get wrecked and that's a top-10 guy in his weightclass in boxing. I honestly hope he does so we can stop hearing this BS about boxing.

If boxing athletes are so much more "elite" maybe they should get some people to actually watch the sport because the biggest PPV this year is 550k which the UFC has eclipsed multiple times already.

just a couple of Youtube grappling tutorials and they will be instant contenders.

Too much variables...at HW a lot is possible, same with a lot of the womens divisions as evident by Holly.

They don't need great wrestling to stop elite wrestlers. Like with bjj. It is much easier learning to stop someone submitting you than learning how to submit someone else

Have you ever rolled a day in your life?

I had a fucking nightmare of a time with them. I can't even count how many times I just dumped myself. But I'll say this, in the beginning, I had the biggest bitch of a time grasping VERY basic shit - we're talking Ouchi Gari's and Osoto Gari's and shit - just simple throws and trips - the first few days of training, I had two left feet with REALLY basic shit. Then it clicked and it felt like I'd been using those kinds of throws forever. That's when I excelled really quickly. Until the got damn sacrifice was introduced to me. My dumbest move was attempting one while rondori'ing (SP?). I think I got choked out in about 7 seconds after that utter failure lmao.

BTW, since I've got a guy with some judo experience, you ever get gi burns when rondorying (why the fuck can i not remember how to spell that word? lmao)? Now THEM SHITS ARE A NIGHTMARE! lol

lol how the fuck can you ever forget that word. Randori. It should have been burned into your memory the first time you heard it and thought, "Judo's the Gentle Way, this randori can't be that bad."

lmao dude boxing skill is overrated as fuck.

Deontay Wilder never stepped foot in a boxing gym until he was 20 years old and won an Olympic medal 2-years later and is now like 30-0 in pro boxing. He was just some dude off the street and started beating these guys who trained for the Olympics since they were 6-years old.

That elite level striking though....what happened?

All true, but boxing does something MMA doesn't: they'll feed a guy like that cans literally his entire career if they can get away with it. His first five opponent's records when he fought them:

2-2-1
1-0
1-1
3-5
6-15 (guy was on a six fight losing streak with 2 KOs and 1 TKO)

At 14-0 (the same record Machida had when fighting for the title) Wilder beat a guy that was 11-38. When he was matched up against guys that actually had winning records, they were habitually much older, much greener or favorable fights. MMA fans would castigate DFW and Joe Silva for stuff like that. Imagine Khabib's next fight being announced against a 40 year old man on a 7 (!) fight losing streak that consisted of 3 TKOs, 1 RTD, 2 KOs and 1 UD.

Plus these are HW boxers so like MMA the skill level is not top shelf stuff.

I never said he won a gold, I'm just saying if someone can never box and then win any olympic medal after only 2-years it demonstrates how much boxing "skill" is overrated. Just like MMA if you're a good athlete like Wilder you can beat guys with 10x the technique as you.

I'm just tired of hearing this bullshit about "elite striking" when MMA fighters routinely kick K-1 champions ass in kickboxing, boxers would get their ass kicked trying to move to a sport that's completely different they're not going to suddenly start dancing around and show an amazing striking performance we've never seen from MMA guys.

Amir Khan wants to come to MMA apparently and has been training, if he fights in the UFC he's going to get wrecked and that's a top-10 guy in his weightclass in boxing. I honestly hope he does so we can stop hearing this BS about boxing.

If boxing athletes are so much more "elite" maybe they should get some people to actually watch the sport because the biggest PPV this year is 550k which the UFC has eclipsed multiple times already.

HW is a different breed, large athletes have more options now and bigger dollars in other sports, it is nothing like what it was. Whilst I think the pool talent in kickboxing is extremely dry now compared to what it used to be, the lower weight boxers are leaps and bounds above any 'boxer' type strikers in the UFC. Boxers are still making way more money in their sport, Khan probably got 5-10 mil for his fight against Alvarez.

Boxers aren't A level athletes, they're more C or D level whereas MMA is more E level. NBA, NFL & Soccer have all the A & B level athletes.

at least 10 years of wrestling and BJJ maybe more the new generation of mma fighter has been cross training since they were 4 or 5.

ok so we all know that boxing has the best athletes out of all the combat sports in the world. If boxers jump straight into MMA they will get their ass handed to them but how much training would it take for them to completely embarrass the rest of the roster? I would say in two years training these a level athletes(who already have so much combat experience) would dominate the sport. In one year you would have some guys that are good enough to be champ but not completely dominant.

another bitter boxing fan...

would take 6 years of training, kickboxing, wrestling and bjj to have a shot.

now go back to watching mayweather...

I'd rather eat a jab than take a flush knee to the face. :>

I'm talking about the kind of low fucking that's too low for an uppercut, basically what Guida did against Ortega.

Guida the wrestling, hopping, bunny isn't exactly a good example of boxing head movement. Also, he's used that head movement to his advantage throughout a long long career, then he got caught.... It's not really indicative of anything.

3 weeks training and boxer are world class fighters

2 yrs training bjj and muay thai following big success as a pro boxer would probably result in moderate success in a lower tier mma organization. Look at roided out Kimbo Slice getting owned by that pink haired light heavy weight. While Kimbo was no Evander Holyfield, he was looked at by the general public, even by many in boxing circles, as a guy that was going to be a real threat in MMA

the pink haired light heavyweight fought in k1. he was the striker in that fight, not kimbo.

nobody seems to remember that part.

Wilder had been boxing for closer to 3 years than 2 when he won bronze at the Olympics. He wasn't able to medal the year prior at the 2007 World Championships but was able to just barely scrape by some Moroccan, Arjaoui, on a countback at the 2008 Olympics where he advanced to the semis and was soundly outclassed by Clemente Russo, who ended up winning silver. He finished out his amateur career with a measly 24-5 record. In the amateurs, not only was he knocked down, he was knocked out.

Here is Wilder in 2008 (the year he turned pro) being knocked out by Romanov in an international dual meet, Russa vs USA.

In the pros he's been knocked down, by Sconiers and Nichols (which was wrongly ruled a slip), who are nobodies. These guys don't even have Wikipedia pages. Wilder's chin is widely known as being weak, his defense sucks, his technique is poor and the limited skills he does have are very raw as a result of getting into boxing as late as he did. He's a puncher with size and athleticism in a division where one big punch matters, especially when you've yet to fight the few guys at the very top of the division.

It's been a decade now since he started boxing and nearly 8 years since Wilder turned pro and he still looks unrefined and sloppy. The most skilled boxers have always been at the lower weights and not at Heavyweight, the Heavyweights just got the most attention. There've been few exceptions to that over the years and the Heavyweight division is now filling out with some talent. Compared to what it was 5+ years ago it's relatively stacked.

Last edited:
the pink haired light heavyweight fought in k1. he was the striker in that fight, not kimbo.

nobody seems to remember that part.
You are correct. If I remember right, Petruzelli dropped Kimbo with a jab. I guess what I was trying to illustrate is that excelling at a different sport or form of combat fighting and having a muscular build does in no way assure any significant degree of success in MMA at the UFC level. MMA is its own, unique beast.

Back