How much training would it take for top pro boxers to completely dominate the UFC?

That was more of a wrestling vs boxing and the lack of respect some people give boxing. This is more about if you gave an elite athlete with combat experience a few years would they dominate. They are similar I will give you that but I think that other thread got off to the wrong foot so I couldn't really get that much discussion

I think there is only so much success you can achieve with any background alone, imo q strong wrestling background is better because the threat of takedowns limits ur opponents striking making it easier to close that gap.

Boxing is a good background, a high lv boxer would need to adjustt to alot tho, take may weather for example, he couldnt lean against a ring, his defense would need to adjust due to smaller gloves, ref doesnt seperate merely on clinching, leg kickers like barboza would have a field day

There are so many variables which is why we rarely see as much dominance as in boxing

2 years against other strikers with secondary groundgame, 3 to win a title, 4 to dominate

Old man Randy Couture demolished James Toney, ankle pic takedown, ground and pound, choke submission in the first round. Toney had been training MMA for 12 months.

Toney was several weight classes overweight (his prime was around 168), more past his prime than Randy, and had serious brain damage. I also very seriously doubt Toney's "MMA training" and also at the idea of him spending a year working on it. That fight was a joke and a cashgrab for Toney and an ego fluffer for the UFC.

Wrestling, Sambo, Judo, Kickboxing, Muay Thai
I hope this is a troll. If you're serious about any of these sports with tiny participation numbers in comparison to boxing have better athletes then there's no point talking to you

If they're going to start from the bottom of the mma food chain and work their way up, then 18 months would be plenty. If you're going to throw them straight into the ufc, then 3 years.

Boxing in MMA is not the same as pure boxing, there's certain things they'd have to stop doing.

Like head ducking is common in boxing but would see you eat a knee in MMA.

That's a common myth. People duck their heads in mma all the time. It's not taboo; it's just obviously that you need to be aware of the threat of being kneed in the face.

It shouldnt take too long considering there is a thread called which other WWE stars other than brock could do well in UFC>

That's a common myth. People duck their heads in mma all the time. It's not taboo; it's just obviously that you need to be aware of the threat of being kneed in the face.

Which makes it very different.

I don't often see guys really putting their head that low in MMA, Guida recently did and paid for it against Ortega.

deaontay wilder would KO half the hw roster in one exchange, but the other half will fucking pound his face into mincemeat on the ground or tear his limbs off.

Which makes it very different.

I don't often see guys really putting their head that low in MMA, Guida recently did and paid for it against Ortega.

Cruz goes low all the time, wrestlers go low for takedowns all the time, people drop low for Jab to the body all the time, Benson goes low and jabs the thigh ffs. Of course getting kneed is an option- there's always a possibility of getting hit no matter what you do, but that doesn't mean you should do nothing. Set up your attacks and you will be fine.

Cruz goes low all the time, wrestlers go low for takedowns all the time, people drop low for Jab to the body all the time, Benson goes low and jabs the thigh ffs. Of course getting kneed is an option- there's always a possibility of getting hit no matter what you do, but that doesn't mean you should do nothing. Set up your attacks and you will be fine.

Cruz is so ridiculously elusive though.

Going low on the offence is different than going low when avoiding a strike though right?

You're more likely to be hit by something if your focus is currently on not being hit by something else already.

lmao dude boxing skill is overrated as fuck.

Deontay Wilder never stepped foot in a boxing gym until he was 20 years old and won an Olympic medal 2-years later and is now like 30-0 in pro boxing. He was just some dude off the street and started beating these guys who trained for the Olympics since they were 6-years old.

That elite level striking though....what happened?

Cruz is so ridiculously elusive though.

Going low on the offence is different than going low when avoiding a strike though right?

You're more likely to be hit by something if your focus is currently on not being hit by something else already.

Lol. You're not telling me anything new here. Yes the knee is a danger to ducking low, but so are uppercuts; you simply need to chose your option wisely. But knees don't mean fighters can't duck low. People can counter over jabs, should fighters not throw jabs now ?

If only the athlete was from the NFL or NBA then you can only have 3 months of MMA training and dominate the sport

Lol. You're not telling me anything new here. Yes the knee is a danger to ducking low, but do are uppercuts; you simply need to chose your option wisely. But knees don't mean fighters can't duck low. People can counter over jabs, should fighters not throw jabs now ?

I'd rather eat a jab than take a flush knee to the face. :>

I'm talking about the kind of low fucking that's too low for an uppercut, basically what Guida did against Ortega.

This is one of those "myths" like how you shouldn't keep your hands down, tuck your chin, or don't bumrush.

A lot of fighters get away with all of these, it's only when they don't that people talk about it and how it's taboo (it's not). A lot of fighters have won with bumrushes and only a few get KTFO doing it, but all of a sudden people think it's not a good idea.

Ducking, bobbing and weaving is perfectly fine to do. The real problem boxers face isn't the ducking, it's their light stance which is very, very susceptible to takedowns.

you do not go far when you have trained only one side of mma and you got even that wrong

Back