How Much Slack Should/Would You Cut Someone When They're Drunk?

It can be an escape, but if you believe that is the only reason to drink you are being foolish.

It's an escape for everything, as are most mind altering substances.

"I don't take it to escape, it just loosens me up to talk to girls."

You're escaping your true, nervous and uncharismatic self.

"i just like having some drinks with the boys after work."

You're escaping the thoughts that have been swirling all day, so you don't have to think about them.

"I like the taste of good scotch."

No you fucking don't.

It's an escape. Just one of the worst ones to take.

so escaping isn't a good time? i'd say that's one of the great reasons to drink. you can escape your hectic life for a few hours and relax. of course it has to be in moderation. we can't go to extreme points of views to make our points. i am going with the assumption that you are not abusing the drug.

i think it depends on the person. it's true that with some people, it will heighten the way they usually are while sober. but it's also true that some people will reveal things about themselves that they normally wouldn't while they're drinking. getting a buzz loosens people up and they feel more comfortable around others, and reveal certain truths about themselves.

Yeah, there was one exception to this rule (in my life experience)

There was this guy, a regular so to speak at this bar I use to go to.

He was a stalky, Mexican/Italian guy (which he reminded you of every 5 minutes)named Gino.

He was the coolest guy sober...funny, laid back...chill..

but when we drank...drank hard...he would turn into a the biggest meat head ever...

THe first night I met him, I broke up 3 fights with him and other perfect strangers. It was crazy...I have never seen such a Dr jekyll/Mr. Hyde transformation like that.

i think it depends on the person. it's true that with some people, it will heighten the way they usually are while sober. but it's also true that some people will reveal things about themselves that they normally wouldn't while they're drinking. getting a buzz loosens people up and they feel more comfortable around others, and reveal certain truths about themselves.

No, it lowers your inhibitions so whereas you usually would refrain from telling your friend you like her and want to be with her, you make an ass out of yourself and drive them away.

It's not a truth serum, or any kind of magical drink. It just makes you not give a fuck about anything, or you care about EVERYTHING and you're a girl crying in a corner

You're escaping the thoughts that have been swirling all day, so you don't have to think about them.

No you fucking don't.

In all fairness, some scotch is great...

and there are a lot of good wines which perfectly complement certain foods.

What do you think about the saying, "in vino Veritas." (There is truth in wine)

In my experience, people are very truthful when they are plastered, or say what's "really on their mind."

I think Alcohol in a sense, is a truth serum.

I think it's 100% wrong. Alcohol is a drug, it in no way brings out the truth in a person's personality or somehow enables them to get across inner feelings they wouldn't otherwise be able to. When someone tells me a drunk mind speaks sober thoughts or other such nonsense, it sounds as ridiculous to me as if I said to you that the same is true of heroin or crystal meth. No one would ever agree with that right? Since drinking is such a widely acceptable vice to have though, everyone acts like it's somehow different from the others. None of these drugs allow a person to be themselves, they're just drugs and you'll only get further away from the person you actually are as you consume more of them.

that is Joe Rogan's take on it as well...

if you are an a$$hole sober, you are going to be one, drunk or high.

I know so many great people who completely turn into someone else once they start drinking. Am I just to assume that they're assholes forever because they act like a complete piece of shit while intoxicated but never under any other circumstances? People are wired differently and drugs don't affect any two people the same exact way, the one thing I know for sure though is that consuming a drug will turn you into a different person. Maybe you're a great guy while sober and you're still a great guy while drunk, that's wonderful but it isn't as simple as Rogan is making it out to be with that statement. Consume an excessive amount of any recreational drug and you are no longer yourself, plain and simple.

so escaping isn't a good time? i'd say that's one of the great reasons to drink. you can escape your hectic life for a few hours and relax. of course it has to be in moderation. we can't go to extreme points of views to make our points. i am going with the assumption that you are not abusing the drug.

Most everything in moderation is fine. I can drink a beer and not be any different. Might feel a little warmer.

But, the thread is about what you give people flak for/or don't while they're drunk, not whether or not drinking period is good.

No, it lowers your inhibitions so whereas you usually would refrain from telling your friend you like her and want to be with her, you make an ass out of yourself and drive them away.

It's not a truth serum, or any kind of magical drink. It just makes you not give a fuck about anything, or you care about EVERYTHING and you're a girl crying in a corner

it doesn't seem like you're disagreeing with me at all. you say that it lowers your inhibitions, which i agree with. which is why i said that with certain people, it will make them feel more comfortable saying certain things they normally wouldn't say while sober. you telling someone that you like them is a perfect example. this person wouldn't normally say that sober, yet they feel comfortable saying it while buzzed.

i'm not really sure what you mean by, "caring about everything". can you explain it in a different way, or give a different example?

Depends on context. When I was a raft guide in my 20's, I was drunk a lot. Did some dumb shit, but it's pretty much par for the course in that industry.

Now, "drinking" means sharing a beer with my wife. So I don't really hang around drunks anymore.

I think it's 100% wrong. Alcohol is a drug, it in no way brings out the truth in a person's personality or somehow enables them to get across inner feelings they wouldn't otherwise be able to. When someone tells me a drunk mind speaks sober thoughts or other such nonsense, it sounds as ridiculous to me as if I said to you that the same is true of heroin or crystal meth. No one would ever agree with that right? Since drinking is such a widely acceptable vice to have though, everyone acts like it's somehow different from the others. None of these drugs allow a person to be themselves, they're just drugs and you'll only get further away from the person you actually are as you consume more of them.

I know so many great people who completely turn into someone else once they start drinking. Am I just to assume that they're assholes forever because they act like a complete piece of shit while intoxicated but never under any other circumstances? People are wired differently and drugs don't affect any two people the same exact way, the one thing I know for sure though is that consuming a drug will turn you into a different person. Maybe you're a great guy while sober and you're still a great guy while drunk, that's wonderful but it isn't as simple as Rogan is making it out to be with that statement. Consume an excessive amount of any recreational drug and you are no longer yourself, plain and simple.

Spot on, TZ.

A couple of years ago during finals week, I went and had some beers with a student that had graduated. Had a couple too many and had to come back to campus to give a final. During the final, the sheriff came into the room. Apparently 2 of my students got into a fight in the library while studying and the sheriff had to let me know.

Was not fun to talk to a cop at work after visiting the bar.

Most everything in moderation is fine. I can drink a beer and not be any different. Might feel a little warmer.

But, the thread is about what you give people flak for/or don't while they're drunk, not whether or not drinking period is good.

i don't think that anyone is condoning the act of being drunk. it's not a good idea to ever get drunk, in my opinion. i personally was only talking about the way in which getting drunk affects people. when i say that some people will tell truths about themselves when they normally wouldn't while sober, i agree with that 100%. and i brought that up, because being drunk is in no way an excuse for your actions while drunk. alcohol loosens boundaries, and there is no longer a social barrier between yourself and others.

depends on if they are faking, how much they drank, and how well i know them. id give them some slack but everyone has that "you've just crossed my annoyance line" but for me i let them know that they are bothering me before it gets there

Depends on what it is you do of course. I know a guy who has a habit of slapping or hitting people when drunk. I know that he's drunk when he does this so I don't smack him back but when he is drunk I avoid him and don't invite him to things that involve alcohol.

it doesn't seem like you're disagreeing with me at all. you say that it lowers your inhibitions, which i agree with. which is why i said that with certain people, it will make them feel more comfortable saying certain things they normally wouldn't say while sober. you telling someone that you like them is a perfect example. this person wouldn't normally say that sober, yet they feel comfortable saying it while buzzed.

i'm not really sure what you mean by, "caring about everything". can you explain it in a different way, or give a different example?

You know, the people that cry when they drink.

You know, the people that cry when they drink.

oh ok, i think i know what you mean. you usually see that with chicks, like you mentioned. i think that is another truth being revealed. pent up emotions that are easier released with a buzz.

No you fucking don't.

you're blurring the lines between someone who has self control, and an alcoholic.

Some people are capable of coming home from work, and winding down with a scotch, or a couple beers with a burger / steak, or whatever their preference is.

If you wind down by slamming an entire quart of vodka or more, then you may have a problem.

All adults make bad decisions, constantly. That's just the way life is.

If someone gets drunk and pukes in the lawn, or pisses on a bush, than I really don't care and I'm going to forgive them without a second thought.

I will not excuse someone's DUI fatality, but will forgive them if they own up to the consequences.

There's nothing to forgive if someone pukes on a lawn. What harm have they done? That doesn't even register on my radar.

I disagree that sober adults make bad decisions constantly. I think there are plenty of tough decisions in life where one option was as good as another, but on a day to day, most people are pretty successful. How many bad decisions have you made in the last month?

I disagree with that. It's possible to be a confident and charismatic person that still has a touch of social anxiety in certain situations. Alcohol can help loosen you up. In that case I think you are revealing yourself, not escaping from it.

So if I meet the boys and go fishing, or go golfing, or boxing, or any other activity that allows me to relax, it's just "an escape". If that is the case than an escape is a good thing. You must consider meditation to be the ultimate escape.

No you fucking don't.

Really? I can't decide what tastes good or bad to me? When I pick up a bottle of scotch, or a good beer, to go and enjoy in the privacy of my home, I am only doing so to escape or impress someone?

Back