How Much Slack Should/Would You Cut Someone When They're Drunk?

None, i hate that fuckin i was drunk excuse when people do dumb shit, if u cant handle it dont drink

Friends a bit. Strangers none.

Kinda depends on how much I had to drink myself though. I'm a happy drunk for the most part, so I'll probably let a lot more shit slide when I had a few.

There is a lot of room between shorts and a hoodie and wearing a tie.

I don't know about Sweden, but here nearly any customer facing job is going to have a dress code above shorts and a hoodie.
I don't give a fuck about customers, I work with IT.

And just to be clear, he didn't have a mild headache and need a big breakfast, he was scruffy and looked terrible, hadn't shaved and his shirt was all over the place with no tie, was ghastly pale looking like he was trying not to throw up and clearly still a bit drunk, and I could smell it off him from about 6 feet away. He was in no condition to put in what could essential be 24-36 hours straight of number crunching and presentation prep for an upcoming deal. I told them all on Friday to be here two hours early on Monday morning and to get well rested, everyone else was here before me and my boss even arrived in early as this is a big one, and he falls in the door 90 mins later looking like he came straight from a bar.

No sympathy.

Yeah, there is no sympathy owed in that situation.

And just to be clear, he didn't have a mild headache and need a big breakfast, he was scruffy and looked terrible, hadn't shaved and his shirt was all over the place with no tie, was ghastly pale looking like he was trying not to throw up and clearly still a bit drunk, and I could smell it off him from about 6 feet away. He was in no condition to put in what could essential be 24-36 hours straight of number crunching and presentation prep for an upcoming deal. I told them all on Friday to be here two hours early on Monday morning and to get well rested, everyone else was here before me and my boss even arrived in early as this is a big one, and he falls in the door 90 mins later looking like he came straight from a bar.

No sympathy.
You must've HATED Wolf of Wall St lol

No sympathy.

This guy sounds awesome...

I would love to kick it with him...

On a serious note, I can see how some are taking umbrage to Happy Boy's statements on the first page of this thread. I mean hell...who hasn't done crazy/stupid thing under the influence.

however, he's more right than wrong on this issue..

if drinking makes you a loud mouth schmuck, or violent, or just plain freaking stupid, don't do it.

Yes, there might be some truth to this. I make no secret of the fact that I lost my best friend from childhood who was best man at my wedding to a drunk driver, and saw my other best friend from that time paralysed by another one. You might have noticed I don't give people trying to defend drunk-driving an easy time.

However, let me give you some context. The type of work we do here has no room for error, each person has an integral part of the process to play, and it comes down hard on all of us if there are mistakes. I don't mind people cracking up from pressure and tiredness as it happens to everyone and have a lot of patience and understanding for the stress and strain this brings (and have been given this by my superiors too), but when you voluntarily put everyone's professional reputation in a small and highly accountable team on the line because you were too immature to show up ready to work hard, you deserve what you get, and he's lucky he is even getting this chance. We get thousands of resumes a week, as it stands one of the juniors is taking his place on the deal team and he may be gone anyway if he gets outshone, all avoidable.

Thanks for the context, Happy. You're a good dude... Perhaps in this case and after reading everything, you were justified. In more of an automonous job, there would probably be and rightfully so, a lot more lattitude. But when it comes to a Team, you do what it takes to not let them down at all costs. My own opinion is that as long as it's not happening often and you're getting your work done/it's not affecting the professional setting, then one or two offenses isn't going to be a deal breaker. I've had people call up and just tell me flat out, they can't make it in... happened just this last Superbowl. The guy is excellent at his job and funcitons at a very high level. I just laughed and told him I was pretty hung over too and that I'd see him tomorrow. People that are outstanding at their job should be afforded opportunities to fuck up every now and again, imo. As long as they know the deal... Hasn't happened since and honestly, if it happened again in like 6 months, it wouldn't even be an issue. The guy is a rockstar at what he does...

I give people complete immunity for anything they do or say once they've started drinking. If you take any of it seriously, you're an idiot. Choosing not to associate with someone who drinks heavily is one thing and perfectly acceptable, acting like the actions of a drunk person are somehow indicative of their true personality or that they should ever be taken even remotely seriously are another.

Once again though, Happy Boy completely misses the point of a thread and comes in with a story that has nothing to do with anything. Of course any boss is going to be mad about an employee coming in late and unable to do his job effectively, that would obviously still be the case whether alcohol was the culprit or not. I understand that this is likely the only story he can come up with though as I'm sure no one ever wants him around once they're off work and want to actually enjoy themselves.

That was Aristotle's argument in Nicomachean Ethics. When incapacitation of the will stems from an act of the will, everything done while incapacitated must be treated as an act of the will.

I've always felt that way.

No sympathy.

But but but alcohol is kewl!!1 Wahhhhh I wanna be hungover everywhere cuz I'm an alcoholic

I give people complete immunity for anything they do or say once they've started drinking. If you take any of it seriously, you're an idiot. Choosing not to associate with someone who drinks heavily is one thing and perfectly acceptable, acting like the actions of a drunk person are somehow indicative of their true personality or that they should ever be taken even remotely seriously are another.

Once again though, Happy Boy completely misses the point of a thread and comes in with a story that has nothing to do with anything. Of course any boss is going to be mad about an employee coming in late and unable to do his job effectively, that would obviously still be the case whether alcohol was the culprit or not. I understand that this is likely the only story he can come up with though as I'm sure no one ever wants him around once they're off work and want to actually enjoy themselves.

You don't have to believe everything someone says or does while intoxicated and take it for fact, but to dismiss any and all actions and words from said intoxicated person, is just ridiculous.

Every person I've ever known that was an asshole while drunk, was also an asshole in real life. Just fucking happens that way, sorry drinkers, there's nothing good about alcohol.

What do you think about the saying, "in vino Veritas." (There is truth in wine)

In my experience, people are very truthful when they are plastered, or say what's "really on their mind."

I think Alcohol in a sense, is a truth serum.

You don't have to believe everything someone says or does while intoxicated and take it for fact, but to dismiss any and all actions and words from said intoxicated person, is just ridiculous.

Every person I've ever known that was an asshole while drunk, was also an asshole in real life. Just fucking happens that way, sorry drinkers, there's nothing good about alcohol.

that is Joe Rogan's take on it as well...

if you are an a$$hole sober, you are going to be one, drunk or high.

if you are an a$$hole sober, you are going to be one, drunk or high.

i think it depends on the person. it's true that with some people, it will heighten the way they usually are while sober. but it's also true that some people will reveal things about themselves that they normally wouldn't while they're drinking. getting a buzz loosens people up and they feel more comfortable around others, and reveal certain truths about themselves.

Back