How much should u bench for ur weight?

Status
Not open for further replies.
well the basic agreement is that if you can bench your own body weight you are at a good starting point. You should push you bench double your bodyweight and set that as your goal. If you cannot bench your own bodyweight then you need to start training heavier or lose some weight.
Posting how mush you weigh and what you bench would help you...height also matters IMO.

Honestly, I wouldn't worry about it too much. I won't tell you how much I weigh vs how much I bench but I can tell you it's pretty piss poor. Just keepin liftin heavy and getting stronger. Celebrate every new gain, keep it up, and eventually you will lifting more than you ever thought possible.

The average dude can bench his body weight one time. However, a good measure of fitness is being able to bench your bodyweight 10-12X.

I'm senseing a thread locking coming up. Am i right?

I've heard a good goal is to bench 1.5 times your bodyweight, and squat 2.5 times. I have no idea for how many reps though.

Sohei said:
The average dude can bench his body weight one time. However, a good measure of fitness is being able to bench your bodyweight 10-12X.

I'm actually suprised at the number of guys I've seen at the gym who can't push their own BW.

if you can bench your own bw 10x you are in good shape how far you go above that depends on your goals

I'd say in general, body weight is starting level, then 1.5x bw, then 2x bw.

The correct answer is more than you did last week.

So, let's say last week I benched a broomhandle. This week I managed to bench my tabby cat (he's pretty big for a cat). You're saying I'd be doing well to bench 1 fairly corpulent domesticated feline at 190 pounds of BW?

I feel better about myself now. I shall reward my triumph with chocolate raspberry cheesecake and a caramel mocha frappucino.

HULKAMANIA said:
So, let's say last week I benched a broomhandle. This week I managed to bench my tabby cat (he's pretty big for a cat). You're saying I'd be doing well to bench 1 fairly corpulent domesticated feline at 190 pounds of BW?

I feel better about myself now. I shall reward my triumph with chocolate raspberry cheesecake and a caramel mocha frappucino.

aslong as the tabby weighs more than the broomhandle, and its tiring you out and the last rep is a real struggle, then you're on your way i suppose.

oh and decline benches with 225 30 times i think thats pretty good for me

Body weight doesn't matter. You should be able to bench four plates minimum (cuz it looks cool), whether you're 120 lbs. or 300 lbs.

Sohei said:
The average dude can bench his body weight one time.

The statistics disagree with you there. Not sure where you get your 'average dude' from but if you look at the testing stats from 'untrained' individuals you'll see the mean and modal numbers both fall far short of that.

I do agree that being able to hoist your body weight is a good first goal and a 'respectable' number for the average lifter (meaning nothing to be ashamed of).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back