How Much SHOULD A BJJ/MMA Gym Cost?

>>>
But my question is how much you think a Jiu Jitsu/MMA school SHOULD cost based on your opinion and experience?
>>>

My school's general rate is $75 a month, they teach BJJ, TKD, Kajukembo karate, and shinkendo. BJJ classes are run once daily, 6 days a week. I only train BJJ, but I do believe the other arts are taught multiple times per week as well. For me, the price point is fair. We only have black belts instructing BJJ 1-2 days per week, other than that it is primarily a purple belt instructing. If there was more black belt instruction, I'd be willing to pay more. All of the other classes are run by black belts (or appropriate ranking).

>>>
Also how long SHOULD (if any) the contracts be (3 months, 6 months 1 year)? And how much the price should be based on those months.
>>>

My school doesn't have contracts. I'm not into contracts myself, but that's because I travel a lot for work for extended periods of time (currently in the middle of a 6 month business trip). I'd be willing to pay extra per month to not have the contract.

>>>
Should a gym use the classic "30 days free" or just have a weekfree or one day free?
>>>

Personally, I'd go with 2 free classes for whatever arts are being taught. It gives people a chance to sample a few things to decide on what they like or if they are comfortable with the teaching environment. About a year ago I had to find a new BJJ school because my instructor moved out of state and the school I was at killed the BJJ program...Most of the gyms were willing to let me have one free class, but if I am looking at an MMA school, I want to see what each of the arts I would want to take is like...I'm not gonna sign up for an entire school based on a single session in a single art...though the BJJ may be spot on, how do I know if the wrestling or muay thai is worth the extra money vs. just BJJ training I'd get elsewhere for a lower cost.

>>>
Should a gym always have "intro classes" for new students or just invite them to watch a class? Or just throw them in?
>>>

At my current school, if we have a new student who knows nothing, generally a blue belt will pull the student aside and cover the very basic positions, and it is up to the student's discretion if they want to live roll and participate in the drills that everyone else is doing, continue working the basic positions, or just watch.

>>>
Should a gym train their staff to also be salesmen and go out marketing? Or just use word of mouth?
>>>

Word of mouth never hurts, neither does having appropriate/adequate marketing, but I will walk away from a school that has pressure sales techniques. If I hear "If you sign up today" I am heading for the door. I'd rather go into a school for a free class, fill out my waiver, and get told at the end "Hey, it was great having you here, we hope to see you soon." than have "Are you ready to sign up? We can lock you in for the lowest rate blah blah blah, and we'll throw in a shitty century gi for free with your one year contract!" I don't mind a follow up phone call a few days later from someone asking about my impression of the class, what could have gone better, etc. but again, it should end with "We hope to see you soon" rather than an outright sales pitch.

Just my 2 cents.

so this is a guaranteed purple belt in 3 years from 2nd white?

Carlos teaches most of the classes?

Nah, they make you sign a 3 years contract and if you do get a purple belt by the end. It is free training until you get purple.
A 3 years contract!

Back