How Much SHOULD A BJJ/MMA Gym Cost?

The improved version of this trick is to offer the 30 days free, but charge an "initiation fee" that costs more than 30 days.

Then when the guy comes in for the 30 day free trial, offer to waive his "initiation fee" if he signs up today. Of course, the deal is so good that you can only offer it right then and there...

MMA Millionaires baby! Only real ballers need apply. You got to push all your chips to the middle to get in on this one.
You shouldn't be sharing these money making secrets for free! A 3 day business seminar costing thousands of dollars for big time money making secrets like these!

So you have a bjj gym (example: Gracie Barra on every corner) and the building owner's rent for the the location is $4000 per month which is pretty close to most 2000 to 3500 sqr/feet gyms....

How is gym owner going to pay that rent? Insurance? CAMs,? etc. if memberships are free???

Sherkids are funny.

It would almost have to be done through a recreation center or a school then. Although its hard to get schools to allow such things these days, but some are open to the idea assuming there isn't a TKD Karate teacher already there. But obviously some people make it a passion, others make it a career. It's nice when you can find a happy medium.

So you have a bjj gym (example: Gracie Barra on every corner) and the building owner's rent for the the location is $4000 per month which is pretty close to most 2000 to 3500 sqr/feet gyms....

How is gym owner going to pay that rent? Insurance? CAMs,? etc. if memberships are free???

Sherkids are funny.

He doesn't. Then they shut down and people go back to learning a useful defense. BJJ is for kids and women.

Go somewhere useful and learn to protect yourself standing.

This is what I pay at my two gyms (both gyms are in the Dallas Texas area).

Saekson Janjira Muay Thai: Most people do the 1 year commitment at $100 a month (I signed up with my brother so we only pay $150 a month for both of us). Classes are unlimited and its an extra $50 for MMA classes (taught by saeksons senior instructor whose a purple belt and has been training under saekson for over a decade).

Overall its a good price considering Saekson is probably the best Thai instructor in the US

Carlos Machado RCJ headquarters: Its about $166 a month for unlimited. They give you a contract at 2nd stripe white that is $166 a month for three years and takes you to purple (so after 36 payments if your not at purple its free). People who come super frequent still have to wait three years regardless (which is a fair timeframe from 2nd white to purple) and those who don't come as often usually get the last two stripes of blue for free (since they dont' come as often, the payments are gone by 2nd or 3rd stripe blue).

Price is higher than most in the metroplex but its a freaking 8th degree blackbelt legend and the atmosphere at the school is great

This is what I pay at my two gyms (both gyms are in the Dallas Texas area).

Saekson Janjira Muay Thai: Most people do the 1 year commitment at $100 a month (I signed up with my brother so we only pay $150 a month for both of us). Classes are unlimited and its an extra $50 for MMA classes (taught by saeksons senior instructor whose a purple belt and has been training under saekson for over a decade).

Overall its a good price considering Saekson is probably the best Thai instructor in the US

Carlos Machado RCJ headquarters: Its about $166 a month for unlimited. They give you a contract at 2nd stripe white that is $166 a month for three years and takes you to purple (so after 36 payments if your not at purple its free). People who come super frequent still have to wait three years regardless (which is a fair timeframe from 2nd white to purple) and those who don't come as often usually get the last two stripes of blue for free (since they dont' come as often, the payments are gone by 2nd or 3rd stripe blue).

Price is higher than most in the metroplex but its a freaking 8th degree blackbelt legend and the atmosphere at the school is great

so this is a guaranteed purple belt in 3 years from 2nd white?

Carlos teaches most of the classes?

so this is a guaranteed purple belt in 3 years from 2nd white?

Carlos teaches most of the classes?
No its not guaranteed (I acknowledged this but maybe it my sentence structure wasn't clear).

If you go frequent/consistent (like 4-5x a week) and are a good learner then your going to go from 2nd stripe white to purple not long after the 3 year mark (under 40 months). So in total that would be white to purple in 3.5-4 years if consistent/frequent (purple and brown are a combined 5 years at carlos so that's like 9 years minimum to black if your consistent with no injuries)

If you don't go that often (like 2-3x a week) then your payments are going to be out at like 2nd/3rd striple blue (you'll probably get another 1 to 1.5 years free since you won't be ready). This happens to a lot of people at the gym

Carlos is usually up there 2-3 night a week (he will teach all the classes on those nights). He doesn't do that many seminars anymore so he's at the gym a good amount. If he can't make it then his 2nd degree black belt will teach (the senior blackbelt has multiple meetings a week with carlos which is basically a private lesson going over the material of the week).

Last edited:
I guess I should list some other prices in the area to help the TC get a more accurate reading.

Guy Mezgers MMA gym is like $120-130 for everything last time I checked. Octagon MMA (which has UFC/Bellator/Legacy FC fighters) is pretty expensive, mainly since its in uptown (its like $150 for MMA/wrestling only and like $180 for grappling only).

Jesus Chavez (WBC/IBF boxing champ with 44-7 record) has a gym that's $70-80 a month

There's lots of gyms with average blackbelts/medicore striking coaches that offer a decent value for those who aren't serious about MMA ($100-130 a month for most of these gyms).

It is too broad a question. The location is a huge factor I guarantee rent Rent in NYC requires a much higher membership fee then rent in Gainsville.

Quality instruction, mat space, does the owner own the area or does he rent from another owner, number of students.

I think the question should be how much a gym should cost to you?

Then you can factor the value BJJ has in your life which could be from very important to very little, your income and costs, extra costs GIs transportation etc.

For me here in Venezuela I dont want to pay more then 500BSF a month depending on your exchange rate it will be either A= $50 or B=$10 a month.

Space is good, quality instruction is decent, level of instruction, speed, training partners I dont think it is worth more then that. Plus Venezuelan salary terms anything higher it would be too much. Everybody I know doesn't like to pay that much.

When I go to London, I am willing to dish out up to

It depends on location, instruction and facilities. I would have no problem paying $230 a month to train at Marcelo's. The gym has one of the best ever teaching almost every single night. It has world class grapplers who use that as their home base. Multiple classes per day and for NYC, very good facilities.

I only pay 75/mo but I know that's on the cheaper side. Expect to pay around 100-125/mo.

I paid 150$ no contract when I trained with Megaton Dias in AZ years ago (5th Degree under Royler), and I pay 110$ no "contract" training with Steve Hall here in Charlotte (2nd Degree under Royce).

I think pricing for both is/was fair and reasonable, the facilities for both were small but the level of instruction is/was considerably above average.

I don't understand why its so expensive $150 per month is insane

Boxing is dirt cheap, Muay Thai I haven't seen more than 70 per month and Judo is damn near free

No matter your area you could probably train all three of these for less than the price of BJJ.

All of these martial arts are great too and provide the workout and technique combined.

I loved BJJ but when my instructor went from raising his prices from $110 to $160 in ten dollar increments, I was out. I have just as much fun doing muay thai

although I do miss it whenever I get thrown in the clinch and my sparring partner lands on me and my guard is ready to go lol

I don't understand why its so expensive $150 per month is insane

Boxing is dirt cheap, Muay Thai I haven't seen more than 70 per month and Judo is damn near free

No matter your area you could probably train all three of these for less than the price of BJJ.

All of these martial arts are great too and provide the workout and technique combined.

I loved BJJ but when my instructor went from raising his prices from $110 to $160 in ten dollar increments, I was out. I have just as much fun doing muay thai

although I do miss it whenever I get thrown in the clinch and my sparring partner lands on me and my guard is ready to go lol

Where do you live that has this stuff for so cheap....?

Back