How much rest/recovery/eating is enough?

FlowWithTheGo23

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
I know it's subjective and kind of open ended. I always mention to people how both lifting and doing BJJ takes such a toll on my body...did some heavy dead lifts yesterday and I feel absolutely destroyed today. Got a good night of sleep and ate a ton throughout the day. I'm wondering if there's something I'm missing here.

Is the weight/volume you did on deads what you normally do, or was this a sudden jump?

I get doms when I do something new or something I haven't done in awhile. Other than that I don't have any issue mixing lifting with the mma. Doms like that for me is around 3 days, after that I usually don't get them anymore.

Is the weight/volume you did on deads what you normally do, or was this a sudden jump?

I get doms when I do something new or something I haven't done in awhile. Other than that I don't have any issue mixing lifting with the mma. Doms like that for me is around 3 days, after that I usually don't get them anymore.

I started a new cycle of 5/3/1. It was a weight I've lifted in the past though, so it was surprising.

I have switched from touch and go to a full reset on each rep though, and a double overhand rather than an over/under grip. I'm wondering if that contributed.

I know it's subjective and kind of open ended. I always mention to people how both lifting and doing BJJ takes such a toll on my body...did some heavy dead lifts yesterday and I feel absolutely destroyed today. Got a good night of sleep and ate a ton throughout the day. I'm wondering if there's something I'm missing here.

How old are you? Have you DL heavy before? Is it apart of your weekly routine (1-2 times a week)? How much sleep do you get?

The sleep thing... well, sleep is extremely beneficial, we should all know this. We're all different though. Some people require 8hours, I myself am good with 4-5hrs, but I've been like this forever and maybe when I'm 35, 40 or 50 it'll catch up to me and I'll need more.

I started a new cycle of 5/3/1. It was a weight I've lifted in the past though, so it was surprising.

I have switched from touch and go to a full reset on each rep though, and a double overhand rather than an over/under grip. I'm wondering if that contributed.

This is probably why.

Full reset is quite different from touch and go deads.

This probably contributed quite a bit. Imagine doing paused bench with a weight you normally crank out a bunch of reps with. You'd probably feel pretty thrashed afterwards too.

Thanks everyone. I appreciate it. Pause bench seems like a good analogy, when you put it that way.

Fully reseting is the way to go. And yes it is more taxing. If you want to build even more strength but limit your recovery even more... Do some static holds at the lockout and you will feel fucked up the next day

Back