How much power does Tyson Fury have?

He hasnt really fought anyone yet though.
No, I'm just basing it on how hard Dubois seems to hit. Dubois looks like a harder natural puncher than Fury and he hit Joyce with some absolutely flush shots. Joyce just ate them.

it's solid enough to stop folks in their tracks

the guy is massive and has fast hands, how can he not be a hard hitter?

Depends on how much steroids Fury is on at the time of the fight. I imagine it's a lot to be that out of shape and still be that active and powerful deep into the fight.

In English please. So you don't think Dubois hits harder than Fury?
Got my threads mixed up. Not sure how that even posted lol.

That's an interesting question. For a man of his size & athleticism, I've never considered Fury much of a banger. Prior to his last two fights, most of Fury's stoppages were of the accumulative variety unless he was facing a no-hoper. And he never came close to dropping or stopping Wilder in their first fight. But enter Sugar Hill into his camp & suddenly Fury was able to KO Wilder twice.

So, did Hill turn Fury into a bonafide KO puncher or did he just make enough adjustments to him to enable him to get rid of Wilder? The truth is probably somewhere in the middle of those two possibilities. But I'm going to have to see Fury in with another top-level heavyweight to make a proper assessment. Until then, I'd rate him at 7.5. He's definitely more dangerous than he used to be but he's nowhere near a one-punch KO artist. He was able to drop & stun him but he had to practically beat an exhausted Wilder to death before he could finish him.

Do you share my assessment that his kind of power is of the bludgeoning variety, i.e. not much acceleration. Not sure how to better explain it.

Do you share my assessment that his kind of power is of the bludgeoning variety, i.e. not much acceleration. Not sure how to better explain it.

Net force= mass (keyword here) x acceleration so yes, it makes perfect sense. He's enormous + quicker than most/quick enough.

Add to that the leverage/torque benefits gained from very long levers (that Wilder also benefits from, just with a more explosive ability- or from a sports science angle, more "powerful)" and yeah he's got some "power".

In sports science power is defined as explosive/fast moment at maximum effort so Wilder is more "powerful", but the force on the end of the punch- Fury is just fine at that, without needing to commit to power punches all the time.

Power in sports science is not always the only factor, sheer force (aided by mass) comes into it, when considering what happens when fist meets target.

Short answer- Wilder has a very powerful punch aided by great fast twitch fibres & biomechanics in limb length (more time to accelerate). Fury's punch is heavy , via force aided by mass & some longass levers, ala Klitschko.

Last edited:
Yeah, I get what you're saying & I agree with you. He gets his weight behind his shots but they don't have the same sort of snap at the end of them that the very best punchers have. But his shots are still plenty effective though because he's such a ridiculously big man.

Any guy his size who has a semblance of technique will at least have heavy hands, and he does. Not a big one-shot puncher, relative to top HWs, but he doesn't really need to be. One thing he can do that a lot of other HWs cannot is generate power with short shorts on the inside. He's not a great in-fighter in the grand scheme of the HW division, but in an era with no in-fighting ability, he really stands out.

Yeah, I get what you're saying & I agree with you. He gets his weight behind his shots but they don't have the same sort of snap at the end of them that the very best punchers have. But his shots are still plenty effective though because he's such a ridiculously big man.
Yes. And uses good weight transfer.

Net force= mass (keyword here) x acceleration so yes, it makes perfect sense. He's enormous + quicker than most/quick enough.

Add to that the leverage/torque benefits gained from very long levers (that Wilder also benefits from, just with a more explosive ability- or from a sports science angle, more "powerful)" and yeah he's got some "power".

In sports science power is defined as explosive/fast moment at maximum effort so Wilder is more "powerful", but the force on the end of the punch- Fury is just fine at that, without needing to commit to power punches all the time.

Power in sports science is not always the only factor, sheer force (aided by mass) comes into it, when considering what happens when fist meets target.

Short answer- Wilder has a very powerful punch aided by great fast twitch fibres & biomechanics in limb length (more time to accelerate). Fury's punch is heavy , via force aided by mass & some longass levers, ala Klitschko.
Thank you very much for making sense of this.

Thank you very much for making sense of this.

I'm not a good fighter, but I teach this stuff (sports science) in college. Only confusion comes between slang/everyday terms for things and how it is described in the science- but most people already have an instinctive understanding of most of it, like you described.

I'm not a good fighter, but I teach this stuff (sports science) in college. Only confusion comes between slang/everyday terms for things and how it is described in the science- but most people already have an instinctive understanding of most of it, like you described.
How do factors like proper wrist alignment, good fundamentals in weight shifting, rigidity of the punching limb, etc. , all fit into that framework, though? They are not captured by that multiplication but they are crucial. Two different boxers the same size can throw at same speed and the same place, and damage will be different, even if the two parameters of your equation are the same? Or is everything implicitely captured in the mass part?

The short answer is, all that exactly falls under "summation of forces"- which casually might be called timing or talent. Co-ordination.

So you can have big mass but a poor punch- IF your summation of forces has a weak spot & you lose all your lower body power because you don't shift weight or have an off alignment wrist etc. Or you can have a small guy who gets all that just right, naturally, and has a powerful punch even though he's smaller. He just maxes himself out naturally.

To what degree- varies somewhat by level. At amateur/non trained the the co-ordination/summation of forces is very important. As you go up that is less of a differentiator- everyone is reasonablly co-ordinated/trained into correction but it's always a factor. To precisely what degree- I'd have to go away and look it up, but I've never seen a really definitive conclusion. In short- with untrained people- yeah you might see the middleweight outpunch the heavyweight. If they are trained- heavyweight will crush him- most of the time.

So they all play a part. And no part is more or all important, but if you have one missing, it can be improved by training. Summation of forces encompasses all those little tips trainers give you on improving and the difference between "sitting down" on a punch and sitting back.

The focus on the "core" of athletes is designed to allow the efficient transfer of force from the biggest muscles/originators of a movement such as throwing a ball/ punch/ javelin with the BEST summation of forces, keeping as much power as possible through to the delivery in the shoulder/wrist/hand in sequence.

So Deontay might be going for a really wide & stable stance to launch & get some power & push/ twist from his legs & hips into his punch- but it leaves him looking slow & awkward if he had to adjust and show some agility.

Last edited:
How do factors like proper wrist alignment, good fundamentals in weight shifting, rigidity of the punching limb, etc. , all fit into that framework, though? They are not captured by that multiplication but they are crucial. Two different boxers the same size can throw at same speed and the same place, and damage will be different, even if the two parameters of your equation are the same? Or is everything implicitely captured in the mass part?
Yep the technique part leads to how much mass you can get into the punch. A study found that the biggest difference in boxers in terms of power was due to the different effective mass they were able to generate behind their punch i.e. how much of their body mass they could shift into the punch.

https://bjsm.bmj.com/content/39/10/710

Back