How much power does Tyson Fury have?

GolovKing

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
What rating would you give his power on a scale of 1-10 at hw? What previous fighters would you say he is comparable to in terms of power?

Honestly it's a ltitle tricky with Fury. the dude doesn't appear to have massive power but it's misleading because you don't realize how big that dude is. I'm sure he's got ridiculous power. it just doesn't look like it.

He's heavy-handed but not really powerful. Not a KO threat to anybody who has a semblance of defense, which is why he couldn't put away a guy like Otto Wallin. More likely to bludgeon you to submission than knock you spark out. Outside of Wilder, the only fighter that I can recall Fury knocking out, was Steve Cunningham, who was a cruiserweight. Apart from some of the cans that he fought, of course.

I'd compare him to an Andrew Golota or Vitali Klitschko. However, those guys were probably better finishers than Fury, who often struggles to put away his opponents. But as far as how they get the job done, it's pretty similar, all three being big dudes who throw a lot of leather.

Last edited:
5/10.

fully capable of landing kill shots when he plants and swings, like most heavyweights.

If Wilder is a 10. Fury is probably a 6.8 or 7.

Fury doesn't really throw the same as wilder, but I have to assume there is massive power. the dude is big as fuck lol

He is an incredibly (especially considering the deceiving physical appearance) athletic life-long boxer, who at a giant 6’8” and 270+ moves very fast and with great technique … so he definitely can generate huge power in his punches, probably not the 1-shot-max of a Wilder but plenty to put away anyone.

This is a giant athletic man highly specialized in punching … as he said in an interview, he believes he could put away any man alive and he’s definitely right.

He is an incredibly (especially considering the deceiving physical appearance) athletic life-long boxer, who at a giant 6’8” and 270+ moves very fast and with great technique … so he definitely can generate huge power in his punches, probably not the 1-shot-max of a Wilder but plenty to put away anyone.

This is a giant athletic man highly specialized in punching … as he said in an interview, he believes he could put away any man alive and he’s definitely right.
Except Big George Foreman. He would eat Fury's 1-2s and keep pressing forward.

6.5/10. He’s a big man with the size that if he plants and throws, he’s going to do some damage but is not a natural power puncher like Wilder.

270 pounders who plant their feet do hit hard. That being said he doesn’t have the explosiveness of the one hitter quitter.

6-7 maybe 8 if he sticks to the gym.

Current Fury is a different beast.

Same with Usyk, guys body got way more powerful and I was suprised how strong he got. Don't be suprised if he KOs Joshua this time in less than 4 rounds.

Reactions: mon
He's heavy-handed but not really powerful. Not a KO threat to anybody who has a semblance of defense, which is why he couldn't put away a guy like Otto Wallin. More likely to bludgeon you to submission than knock you spark out. Outside of Wilder, the only fighter that I can recall Fury knocking out, was Steve Cunningham, who was a cruiserweight. Apart from some of the cans that he fought, of course.

To be fair, since hes been with Sugar Hill, he seems to go for the knockout a bit more... Vs Wallin he was still with Ben Davidson if im not mistaken, just coming back off being 4000 pounds, and his stily back then was just jerking around the ring and jabbing peoples faces off...

Id say he obviously has power being 277 pound guy that trains punching his entire life. Comparison to Vitali Klitchko is very good!

What kind of power? If you are talking about punching power, then 6/10.

I'd compare him to an Andrew Golota or Vitali Klitschko. However, those guys were probably better finishers than Fury, who often struggles to put away his opponents. But as far as how they get the job done, it's pretty similar, all three being big dudes who throw a lot of leather.
Yeah, it is also worth mentioning that he used roughhouse tactics against Cunningham.
Sometimes his punching technique isn't great, his jab and his lead hook can be a bit too slappy.

What rating would you give his power on a scale of 1-10 at hw? What previous fighters would you say he is comparable to in terms of power?
That's an interesting question. For a man of his size & athleticism, I've never considered Fury much of a banger. Prior to his last two fights, most of Fury's stoppages were of the accumulative variety unless he was facing a no-hoper. And he never came close to dropping or stopping Wilder in their first fight. But enter Sugar Hill into his camp & suddenly Fury was able to KO Wilder twice.

So, did Hill turn Fury into a bonafide KO puncher or did he just make enough adjustments to him to enable him to get rid of Wilder? The truth is probably somewhere in the middle of those two possibilities. But I'm going to have to see Fury in with another top-level heavyweight to make a proper assessment. Until then, I'd rate him at 7.5. He's definitely more dangerous than he used to be but he's nowhere near a one-punch KO artist. He was able to drop & stun him but he had to practically beat an exhausted Wilder to death before he could finish him.

Based on his fights with Wilder? Probably above average(6). Based on other fights? Probably 7/10 if he committed to harder shots

8/10.

He has no real weakness.

All this talk about his lack of power is overstated.

Wilder stated it many times and he got knocked out.

That's an interesting question. For a man of his size & athleticism, I've never considered Fury much of a banger. Prior to his last two fights, most of Fury's stoppages were of the accumulative variety unless he was facing a no-hoper. And he never came close to dropping or stopping Wilder in their first fight. But enter Sugar Hill into his camp & suddenly Fury was able to KO Wilder twice.

So, did Hill turn Fury into a bonafide KO puncher or did he just make enough adjustments to him to enable him to get rid of Wilder? The truth is probably somewhere in the middle of those two possibilities. But I'm going to have to see Fury in with another top-level heavyweight to make a proper assessment. Until then, I'd rate him at 7.5. He's definitely more dangerous than he used to be but he's nowhere near a one-punch KO artist. He was able to drop & stun him but he had to practically beat an exhausted Wilder to death before he could finish him.

I think after training with Sugar Hill he started planting his feet better for the KO punch. Before he was more of a mover and didn't sit down on his shots. But now he looks to counter with hard shots. A perfect example was the round 10 knock down of Wilder. Wilder swung with a left hook, Fury bobbed and weaved under and then blasted him with the right hook sending him to the canvas. And I agree he's not a one shot KO artist even now.

I think after training with Sugar Hill he started planting his feet better for the KO punch. Before he was more of a mover and didn't sit down on his shots. But now he looks to counter with hard shots. A perfect example was the round 10 knock down of Wilder. Wilder swung with a left hook, Fury bobbed and weaved under and then blasted him with the right hook sending him to the canvas. And I agree he's not a one shot KO artist even now.
Oh, for sure. All that plus heavyweights mature late sometimes. They're likely a few things involved in the process. But, as I said, we'll know more when he fights again. If we assume that it's going to be vs Whyte it will be interesting to see how he approaches it. Does he respect Whyte's power & box him or does he go straight at him? I don't think he rates Whyte too highly. Especially after what Povetkin did to him in their first fight. So, I think Fury looks to take him out.

Oh, for sure. All that plus heavyweights mature late sometimes. They're likely a few things involved in the process. But, as I said, we'll know more when he fights again. If we assume that it's going to be vs Whyte it will be interesting to see how he approaches it. Does he respect Whyte's power & box him or does he go straight at him? I don't think he rates Whyte too highly. Especially after what Povetkin did to him in their first fight. So, I think Fury looks to take him out.
You could well be right and I hope he does. This harder hitting version of Fury is much more fun to watch.

Back