How much money to give as a gift?

Corrado Soprano

Double Yellow Card
Double Yellow Card
Reaction score
I need some advice from my Sher-bros. One of my really close friends is getting married and I wanna know how much money I should give as a gift. We've been tight since grade 7 and he's one of the most loyal friends I have. I know he doesn't want anything but I want to give something anyways. The money itself is not the issue, its just how much I should give. The wedding is across the country and I'm flying there on my own dime. I was thinking $200. Is that too much? Is $100 not enough? I just want to give the perfect amount were its not too little but I don't want the couple saying I gave too much either.

Like you said, you're flying on your dime. Also, you're close; everything you give is a bonus. I'm sure your buddy appreciates all he gets.

i usually give 250-400..

i got my best friend something of his registry.. for my wedding.. i got some luggage from him and his wife.. it doesn't really matter since we were glad to be a part of of each other's wedding..

Too impersonal.

May as well give him a visa gift card, IMO.

Or an iPad.

I need some advice from my Sher-bros. One of my really close friends is getting married and I wanna know how much money I should give as a gift. We've been tight since grade 7 and he's one of the most loyal friends I have. I know he doesn't want anything but I want to give something anyways. The money itself is not the issue, its just how much I should give. The wedding is across the country and I'm flying there on my own dime. I was thinking $200. Is that too much? Is $100 not enough? I just want to give the perfect amount were its not too little but I don't want the couple saying I gave too much either.

lol, yes 100 bucks is a little low and 200 is a bit high,,,

if u want split it and give 150.

100 for acquaintance, 200 for friend/co-worker, 300 for close friends

Damn exchange rate, I gotta give my friend some money in the States for her wedding too and the rate is shit. So I probably have to dish out close to 500.

Too impersonal.

May as well give him a visa gift card, IMO.

Or an iPad.

While somewhat impersonal yes. When my wife and I got married we greatly appreciated cash gifts so that we could get what we needed as opposed to lugging toasters, blenders etc back home.

min $200

max w.e u can afford

$200 is my standard for people I only kind of know, $300 for extended family, for close friends/immediate family, I try and get them something they would like, but never buy for themselves personally - this may range in price (on both the low and high end), but I want them to know I took the time to really think about their gift.

P.S: If you guys go way back, then a non monetary gift would actually be better in alot of ways (unless they specifically asked for money). Like if you guys bonded over a particular videogame or toy, see if you can get a copy for him now.

I'm surprised you guys have this culture of money gift for Weddings as well. I thought only Chinese have this, Ang Pao/Red Packet, culture. I thought it's always household appliances of sorts for westerners. Good to learn a new thing itt.

Personally, I always see how much the dinner will cost the person, if it's a $1300 table, I will give $150. FYI: Our wedding dinner table usually seats 10 per table. I'm not liable if they want a fancy wedding, that's my thinking, but I will make sure that they don't have to pay for my invite at the minimum.

Best friends will probably double or triple that.

$200, a pocket rocket, and a fleshlight.

$200 and a blowjob.

$200 for a friend.
$300 for extended family.
$500 for a close friend.
$1000 for immediate family.

Back