How much money do mma fighters make

So you don't know WHY nor HOW MUCH he works?

<DisgustingHHH>

Look, it's chickenfeed for many. Many have stated it's not enough to cover costs or get by on.

So go google that.

<GinJuice>

Dude... Many?
You claimed Stipe was forced to work part time as a firefighter with zero sources.
Now you just post gifs.
Why dont you try and google how much Stipe made in the UFC?
If he was hurting for money, why dont take a fight instead of sitting out?

Is it worth getting punched and kicked in the face, your thoughts?

James-Johnson-364a.jpg

Dude... Many?
You claimed Stipe was forced to work part time as a firefighter with zero sources.
Now you just post gifs.
Why dont you try and google how much Stipe made in the UFC?
If he was hurting for money, why dont take a fight instead of sitting out?

Many. Google it. I'm busy, gotta run. Srs

And BECAUSE HE CAN because HE HAS A DAY JOB.

These stats are for the ufc:
  • The average household income in the U.S. is around $45,000 per year, yet over a third of the UFC’s fighters (213 fighters – 37%) made less than the average American household in 2018. I guess sometimes it doesn’t pay to get punched and kicked in the face.
  • Only 187 fighters in the UFC are currently earning six-figure salaries. This looks extremely bad when compared to the NFL rookie salary minimum of $450,000.
  • 15 men and women wore UFC championship belts (including interim) in 2018, and they earned an average of $783,400 (up from $666,643 in 2017) . This can also be contributed to the rise in interim belts.
  • The highest earning non-UFC champion in 2018 was Conor McGregor, who pulled in an astonishing $3,030,000 (this was only base salary for the fight, PPV split and Sponsorships were believed to have been an upwards of $50 million).

Is it worth getting punched and kicked in the face, your thoughts?

None of your business

Fighters should be compared to TV actors/entertainers, not people with normal jobs. Millions of people from around the world don't turn on their TV and get bombarded with advertisements to watch you draft TPS reports.

No it's not enough and Mc Gregor should become a fight promoter. If he needs more capital he can hit up Floyd. Seriously. Maybe fighters need to work behind the scenes with other fighters to make a proper build up, but there is one fighter who has done this right and it is Conor.

P.S. I don't care for his fight style, he is not my favorite fighter, but if we had more fighters of his caliber, the UFC would be paying out more money to some of its fighters, resulting in either A. a trickle down helping all fighters or B. a formula other fighters could follow to the bigger $.

Average fighter pay is a joke considering what they do.

They might receive some hidden bonuses. Also for some of them it is a matter of pride and honor.

From knowing a couple of "lower-tiered/hometown" UFC fighters...
  • most only get paid the disclosed show money if they lose (i.e. no hidden bonuses);
  • most bonuses seem to be around the same as their win money;
  • most work part time (a lot as coaches, PTs);
  • most of their sponsorship deals are free perks, not actual $$$ - most come from people they know/the local martial arts community (e.g. a student who is a physio will give them free sessions; a gear shop will give them free gear if they take a photo with it);
  • generally, no one recognises them in everyday life and they have absolutely no celebrity status (and hence no advertising $$$ that comes with it);
  • when averaged out, they make less from fighting than the minimum wage Australian full time workers get; and
  • even combined with the income from their other job, most of them will be classed as lower or lower middle individuals.

Most of the UFC fighters I know are so broke the gym refuses to take (or takes a very minimal) cut from their pay check as otherwise they will have trouble living.

As to answer why they fight professionally, most of the UFC fighters I know don't really have a highly demanded skillset and, even if they do have a degree, they have very little actual work experience. They often also lack foresight - most don't think about their future and seem to just want to train as long as possible. There is also the fact that, at the end of the day, despite the abysmal pay check, being a UFC fighter also gives them more status in society than they otherwise would have. To put it somewhat harshly "fighting is the best thing that happened to them" .

Like Uber drivers, not a whole lot when you factor-in their expenses. Training, coaching, management, licensure, travel, taxes, healthcare, etc.

If you want to be rich, the chances are slim that you will become rich with mma. You will have to fight because you love it. There are a lot of sports though in which you can't make a living though. Mma is not great but definetely not the worst...

The whole discussion is flawed .... most fighters are not exactly highly educated / experienced / employable people, they didn’t choose between being UFC or CEO, in many cases they chose between fighting or unemployment / basic jobs / failed attempts at other sports / careers in other sports which pay even less / crime.

So in that context it would be worth it, especially if you enjoy it and have a talent for it ... you might earn a decent income or even become a millionaire superstar, something you would never remotely achieve in the other “careers” listed above.

Back