How much MMA media is in Vegas for UFC 207?

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by Mob69, Dec 28, 2016.

1. Mob69

Mob69 Black Belt

I couldn't help but notice from my Twitter that very few prominent MMA media members seem to be out in Vegas for UFC 207. There are also far fewer articles on their sites than I would normally expect.

For instance, I don't think there's anyone from MMA Fighting.com in Vegas (Luke Thomas is there for Sirius, which is his full-time job nowadays). Obviously it's the week between Christmas and New Year, but plenty of MMA events take place at inconvenient times and MMA media still turn up. This is also supposedly a biggie.

Honestly this is bizarre. Ronda has declared war on the MMA world in terms of promotion, and the UFC has agreed to go along with this in order to flatter her ego. The 'event' has almost zero buzz two days out. The return of Rousey should be a mega-event; instead, I think this could be a disastrous failure. If it breaks 700k buys I will be surprised, and it really should crack 1m buys no problem at all. I am guessing 600k.

I do wonder if the media have decided that, as Ronda/UFC are plainly determined to maliciously deny them content (which is totally self-defeating from the UFC's perspective and, depending on the butyrate, could cost them tens of millions in lost revenue), they will give the show the minimum converge in return. Sure, that costs the media money in terms of clicks. But then again if they have minimal content to work with, they will get minimal clicks anyway.

Tellingly, there are less articles about Ronda on websites. If they were really desperate for clicks, they could write anything with her name and on and post it in hopes of drawing some traffic. They do it with Lesnar all the time. But that isn't happening.

So I think the media are also sending a message to the UFC. Deny us content, we won't promote your event.

MCS likes this.
  2. Kwic

Kwic Black Belt

#fearTheReturn ...

<{MingNope}>

3. Threetrees

Threetrees The King of Wit and Reason

Probably less
    I don't blame Ronda Rousey at all, I blame the UFC
    Rousey dislikes the MMA media... she's not unfair with this, the MMA media is absolute garbage. The UFC should have made her do the normal fight week stuff, but she negotiated not having too, and thus she won't.

The MMA media can get the fuck over it
    There's other ways to cover the sport, and I respect the ones that aren't bitching and still doing it

Cheapshart likes this.
  4. The Best JG

The Best JG Platinum Nation!!

Who gives a fuck. Mma is a fringe sport making mma media members pretty much on par with the cockroach except the cockroach would survive a nuclear holocaust where as im not sure ariel helwhiny could survive a papercut

leto1776 likes this.
  5. Mob69

Mob69 Black Belt

<24>

Threetrees likes this.
  6. One MMA Fan

One MMA Fan #1

If Ronda loses all the media will turn on her, they will be extra vicious.

So win cause if you lose oh shit you will need a lot of extra pillows.

7. Cheapshart

Cheapshart A farce to be reckoned with.

The UFC went along with it because it was the only way to get MMA's second biggest star back in the cage. She would still be retired otherwise.

Everyone who reads MMA media already knows that Ronda is back and that 207 is on Friday. They preach to the choir.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2016
  8. Well if she ain't given interviews what would be their motivation?

9. MCS

MCS Gold Belt

It's good info since this is the first time a big star has decided to do no media in modern UFC. The after effect is interesting.

If her buys bomb the coverage was needed, which only makes sense, and it would show fight fans do indeed buy cards and the myth of the "casual" (or really "alien", since they're somehow not fight fans who buy all fight cards) is gone.

While if her buys stay the same regardless it shows UFC's own promotion could be enough for big stars, that the UFC doesn't necessarily need to send stars to do 100 interviews when they're cutting weight.

10. Threetrees

Hasn't she done mainstream media?

11. kimocomplex

kimocomplex Red Belt

did they have media credentials pulled as well?

because you know, they could do media with the other 11 fighters

oops

12. MCS

MCS Gold Belt

Yea. IDK how that translates to buys with no mma media. Like who's buying these cards? You can gauge better when there's this example. I'd guess Fight Club members for sure.

13. Threetrees

I like it.

I think Ronda is probably the best example of a fighter who might be able to get away with doing this - because I don't believe (unlike Conor or GSP) that she's a product of the MMA media to begin with. I think she's more of a crossover athlete than anything else, and I'm not sure she ever had a really great MMA following. In fact I think MMA media started hyping her as more than just the Royce Gracie of WMMA much later than mainstream media (who were calling her female Tyson).
    It'll be interesting to see.

I think this card will do a decent buyrate, but anything less than 1 mil is going to be seen as vindication for fans and MMA media who want her to be made an example of for daring to cater to another market. I'm more interested to see how much ESPN and FS1 talk about her this week than anything else.

14. MCS

MCS Gold Belt

True, she could be sadly a bad example because of her status elsewhere. Maybe she has a huge following who only follow her fights, like Brock had. But if the numbers bomb it gives a glimpse that the mainstream is exaggerated. Same or more buys gives less info (still 2 options).

Threetrees likes this.
  15. Threetrees

Agreed.

I'm one of those people who parrots that hardcores don't buy PPVS (above a certain point, i think the hardcore fanbase can be counted on for up to 400k or something). So I'll be excited to see what happens.

The UFC should be too, it might tell them that they'd be better served catering more to hardcores than they do.

MCS likes this.
  16. Mob69

Mob69 Black Belt

Luke Thomas says that the MMA media present in Vegas are going to take a big financial hit on UFC 207. They incurred the expense of flights, hotels etc. and are basically getting zero extra clicks because there is no content being generated in Vegas.

MCS likes this.
  17. The guest

The guest Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

It's Wednesday...

No presser, no live workout, nothing until weigh-ins tomorrow. There's no reason to travel, and pile up expenses. Nothing pertaining to the ME is goin on yet. They will likely show up soon.

18. soulsstealer

soulsstealer Silver Belt

MMA media = luke thomas and ariel helwani?