How Much Media Does McGregor Really Need to Do?

Thickfreakness

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
I had a recent discussion around Conor McGregor frustrating the UFC with his lack of media appearances with Jason from MMA on Point. I'd argue that less would be more for this fight. They already have the hook with the dolly incidence (whether you like that or not) and a big push of media on fight week will be more than enough to promote this fight.

Edit for more: As far as I remember, he didn't do a whole lot of media leading into the Diaz II fight and that didn't seem to matter. There was a built in story already, and once they got together on fight week they sold the PPV to record sales.

I'd argue that early promotion will help with gate sales (but these already seems to be taken care of) while fight week promotion is way more important for PPV sales. I've tried to find actual data around when people buy PPVs, and, while I couldn't find solid data, the consensus seems to be 1 hour before, 30 minutes before. A big push on fight week seems to be a way bigger influence to push buys.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
The bus incident was the most powerful promotion MMA has ever done, regardless what happens they will likely do 2 mil ppv buys

He probably realizes that him doing "his part" means him doing way more than Khabib, which means he'll have less energy to dedicate to fully training himself physically, than will his dangerous opponent.

So long as they turn it up a couple weeks out, the fight shouldn't suffer much at all.

I had a recent discussion around Conor McGregor frustrating the UFC with his lack of media appearances with Jason from MMA on Point. I'd argue that less would be more for this fight. They already have the hook with the dolly incidence (whether you like that or not) and a big push of media on fight week will be more than enough to promote this fight.

Edit for more: As far as I remember, he didn't do a whole lot of media leading into the Diaz II fight and that didn't seem to matter. There was a built in story already, and once they got together on fight week they sold the PPV to record sales.

I'd argue that early promotion will help with gate sales (but these already seems to be taken care of) while fight week promotion is way more important for PPV sales. I've tried to find actual data around when people buy PPVs, and, while I couldn't find solid data, the consensus seems to be 1 hour before, 30 minutes before. A big push on fight week seems to be a way bigger influence to push buys.

Thoughts?

My guess is that the UFC gave Conor huge upfront money and were unwilling to renegotiate his contracted ppv cut (giving Mcgregor less reason to care about ppv sales). Now they are panicking since Mcgregor isn't doing much media.

He should be expanding his empire right now. We should be seeing his face everywhere. Something is wrong. He’s not acting normal.

He’s gonna lose.

UntriedObedientDavidstiger-size_restricted.gif

756UE8.gif

This reminds me of his attitude leading up to the second Diaz fight when he refused to do media because he was so focused on his training and didn't want to be interrupted under any circumstances and why he was ultimately pulled from the card. The man is focused on one thing and one thing only and thats closing the show come Oct 6.
Either way if this fight cant sell itself no fight can, its a wrap.

I think 1 or 2 pressers will be enough.
People forget that everyone streams these things anyway and news companies show them to death

This reminds me of his attitude leading up to the second Diaz fight when he refused to do media because he was so focused on his training and didn't want to be interrupted under any circumstances and why he was ultimately pulled from the card. The man is focused on one thing and one thing only and thats closing the show come Oct 6.
This all the way.

Even people like me who dislike conor and hope he loses. He's focused on this fight for sure. Khabib is his most dangerous opponent to date.

He knows what's at stake.

He's losing ~10k PPV buys per day he doesn't do media according to people here

The majority of his camp has been in Ireland. He doesn't want to have to fly to American to do radio shows, press conferences etc, then fly back. It's a huge disruption.

He will arrive in Vegas soon to close out his camp. I'm sure he will do media then.

Thoughts?

You're definetly not 6'7.

Thoughts?

He'll do fookin nuttin?

Really though all the time dedication and money spent and he gassed almost identical to the 1st fight

Back