How much longer can the UFC milk the striker vs grappler thing?

FlowWithTheGo23

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Obviously they're going to market Ronda vs Holm as, "Holm is a boxing champ...can she defend Ronda's takedowns long enough to score the knockout?" They marketed who knows how many GSP fights, among countless others this way. You'd think they'd have to come up with something a bit more original after using it like 300 times already to sell PPVs.

Forever. Its always going to be an intriguing matchup, though not really with this fight.

Probably forever. Even young kids coming up are probably going to start in some TMA first before transitioning to MMA.

I guess as long as WMMA is around and Ronda reigns

puncher vs out-boxer.
powerserver vs backhander
speed vs endurance
defensive - offensive

welcome to sports marketing. it will end when the human race ends.

Um, you realize that they do the same thing with grappler vs grappler and striker vs striker?

Stylistic match ups is just part of the promotional game. Who's the better wrestler? Who's the real submission master? Who will knock out the other first?

Except this is no longer UFC 1.

I don't see your point. If fights are still decided by whether a fighter can take the one down or not it's still a fun fight to see.

Once Lawler stuffed Rory's takedown you knew the fight was going to get good. But veggie the fight people thought there was a chance that Rory would take him down and win a boring victory.

Fights happen all the time that have interesting dynamics like that.

Um, you realize that they do the same thing with grappler vs grappler and striker vs striker?

Stylistic match ups is just part of the promotional game. Who's the better wrestler? Who's the real submission master? Who will knock out the other first?

yeah, and there has to be a way to "sell" the fight in a short soundbyte.

I don't see your point. If fights are still decided by whether a fighter can take the one down or not it's still a fun fight to see.

Once Lawler stuffed Rory's takedown you knew the fight was going to get good. But veggie the fight people thought there was a chance that Rory would take him down and win a boring victory.

Fights happen all the time that have interesting dynamics like that.

Sure, but the fights are never as simplistic as they're marketed to be. It's getting old. Ronda's been training in striking for years, so it's not like she's just some judoka at this point. The same goes for Holm. Let's get creative here people.

Wait till Ronda fights The Randamie. If the Randamie can keep it standing she will knock Rousey out.

first, they are going to use this to get more hype surrounding MONEY....i'm not surprised this happened at all.

she will more or less walk right through holm who has very limited grappling capability - rhonda will take her down. Armbar waiting to happen.

then it becomes...look what she did to a boxing champ, MONEY no different.

That would be like asking "How long is the UFC going to feed non-grapplers Royce Gracie?" MMA is an evolving sport and this situation will continue to happen as long as there are "incomplete" fighters, 5-10 years down the line I doubt this will be a common occurrence.

But veggie the fight people thought there was a chance that Rory would take him down and win a boring victory.

Never take your fight analysis from Cabbage.

cabbage_20correira1.jpg

2112, then its inter-planetary matchups, and cross-species competition

Jackson's student who's competing in mma since 2011. Boxing world champion. Her standup is great.

I'd be worried about those kicks too.

I dont see how this isnt going to be good?

Back