How much knowledge does a bjj blue belt possesses?

attachment.php

Blue belts' knowledge varies wildly, and I have yet to see anyone below brown have a solid enough understanding of BJJ to be able to teach on their own and give the right emphasis on basics and details.

But I can teach you a mean reverse omoplata.

really? I train under a couple purple belts that are amazing instructor, and also a second degree black belt and when i go to class i can assure no matter who is instructing i will get top level instruction.

LOL at the people saying it depends where he got it from. A blue belt is a blue belt - Doesn't matter if you got it from Rickson Gracie or Matt Barvo. That doesn't mean there isn't a big difference in skill levels between blues but at that level, lineage means jack shit.

A good blue can teach you a lot if you are brand new but that doesn't mean you should be taking all of your instruction from someone at that level... If a blue belt is all that's around, fine.. but dude, you live in NYC. For sure you can at least find a purple belt to train under... A place that would allow a blue belt to teach is not a very good school IMO.

This is coming from a blue belt.

It completely matters i dont agree with you at all. I would way rather learn from a purple belt at my gym then a purple or brown from an average gym for the reason my purple belt instructor has been training 7 years atleast 5 days a week.

well I dont know. I've been told im learning very fast and my instructor has joked around calling me his prodigy. but dont get the wrong idea, that same purple has tapped me out like 90 times in a row within the first 2 mins of rolling.

I just caught him once cuz he made a small mistake and I capitalized on it. I'm still new to grappling so I dont know if that's impressive or not but.. yeah.

He shouldn't be a purple belt if he legitimately got tapped by a white belt. I do very very well against white belts, and when i roll with purples at my gym i can not do a thing, i get swept out of everyposition if i even move and get tapped every 15 seconds.

He shouldn't be a purple belt if he legitimately got tapped by a white belt. I do very very well against white belts, and when i roll with purples at my gym i can not do a thing, i get swept out of everyposition if i even move and get tapped every 15 seconds.

There is always the random loss. But if the wb can tap a purple, when he is trying, and they are similar in weight, something is wrong.

There is always the random loss. But if the wb can tap a purple, when he is trying, and they are similar in weight, something is wrong.

Thats what i mean. Either the purple wasnt trying and was going 25 percent or there is something very wrong.

Nothing wrong with a legit blue belt teaching as long as his instructor pops in once or twice a month to monitor progress and quality, and if all the patrons are fully informed of rank and lineage and are happy to continues training, then be my guest.

It all depends on what you consider a legitimate tap. I'm a purple and tap to whitebelts all the time. If i m playing bottom and they execute a sub correctly, I tap. I figure that's a legit tap, they did the move, I couldn't escape.

Is it not legitimate because if It was a tournament match they would not have had that position? Seems silly.

If they are a good 3 year blue a white can learn for the first year (unless they are a prodigy and quickly pick up and beat the blue belt)

Who taps who has too many variables. I've seen a blue regularly tap a black simply because the blue was really good at leglocks and the black came from a school that didn't train them.

this is certainly a troll thread.

$99 per month for a random gracie blue belt.

cmon people

It completely matters i dont agree with you at all. I would way rather learn from a purple belt at my gym then a purple or brown from an average gym for the reason my purple belt instructor has been training 7 years atleast 5 days a week.

Read my comment again, dude. I'm not talking about purples or browns, I'm talking about blue belts. Lineage matters more at the higher levels. At blue belt, it means nothing.

Depends on who they are compared to.

Compared to most higher belts, they don't know anything.

Compared to a new white belt, they appear to know everything.

Thats what i mean. Either the purple wasnt trying and was going 25 percent or there is something very wrong.

Yeah I have been occasionally tapped by a wb, usually when i am screwing around and trying out stuff.

Depends on who they are compared to.

Compared to most higher belts, they don't know anything.

Compared to a new white belt, they appear to know everything.

Hahaha, yep that's how it is. When you are in 1st grade, the 6th graders are about the same as adults. When you make it to 6th grade you're like 'crap, I'm still a kid!!'

Blue belt is the widest knowledge belt, the lowest blues being so far away to the higher blues.

If it's a low level blue then its not great but a higher level blue (nearly purple) would be even great

A blue belt means you are competent and a semi god now on mats. You possess a vast knowledge of the basics and can use it to take apart anyone that stands in your path outside of the gym. You are no longer another face in the crowd. You have now made your mark in the world of grappling. It is usually time to leave the world of bjj after reaching this level of destruction. Good luck

Back