How much knowledge does a bjj blue belt possesses?

Hmm.. I pay 180 for unlimited times a week at Renzos

I train under a blue and a purple belt but mainly under the blue. Hi s game is tight!

I get as much instruction as I can.

I've got a bb instructing me. But if he can't go I can still learn from the blues or anyone. They've got more knowledge and experience than me and I try to feed off that.

Depends on the rest of his background. A blue belt who also wrestled for 10 years will likely have a lot of good stuff to teach you.

Wow man you guys are getting ripped of big time, go become a doctor or something, it will take less time than a black belt in bjj and cost you less :)

If they are a solid blue then you cvan learn alot from them..especially if you are really new.

It really depends, on prior training, and how long they have been training as a blue, or how often.
We have a blue who is a black belt in karate, and trained in judo for 3 years, and had a blue for three. He is in his 50's and he would be an amazing teacher already.. he uses no strength and has very clean technique.. i dont see why he isnt a purple..

SOme blues have alot to offer.
Then their are blue's who have been training for 7-12months and could teach you some, but alot of it would probably be wrong.

BB now = Blue belt

I think a blue can teach okay, but there are other things to keep in mind. Find out:

-Who the blue's instructor is.
-How often an instructor of a higher level will visit (I don't think a blue should be teaching if there isn't higher instruction at regular intervals)?
Or-
-How often the blue belt instructor visits their instructor to build their own game (If this is the case know that your gonna have to go somewhere else when your ready to get promoted)?

Obviously, if there are other NJJ schools in NYC, which there are...Don't train with anything under a black belt, thats the bottom line...I dont care how good your Blue Belt BJJ instructor is or what level he should be at...You will benefit and learn the MOST from a BJJ black belt. 99 a month is too much if ur gonna train under a blue...thats ridiculous!! 135-150 a month to be a student under a black belt is more reasonable, and its worth it..PERIOD. Ok since you live in NYC, go to Renzo Gracie Academy, he has a lot of black belts and he teaches most of the classes...plus...Kyra Gracie trains there hehe

I think a lot of people are underestimating how fucking good blue belts can be. I think that was the main reason I felt I didn't deserve my blue when I recieved it. I was comparing myself to people who had been blues for years, and dominated in every comp they entered (ie- they were pretty much purple standard)
One guy at my school only recently recieved his purple and he's been training for like 8 years.
He's had some pretty serious back injuries, and has taken a real intellectual approach to BJJ.
Even my coach said to ask him about certain positions.
I've taught a few classes, and I was really worried about it, but apparently, according to my coach and the guys I was teaching it went really well.
I think a lot of blues out there are perfectly fine teaching complete newbs. Obviously you're better training with a black, but if you're just starting out, a good blue should be sufficent.
Oh, like someone else said, I'm talking about a high level blue, Not someone who's just recieved it.
Standards between schools vary greatly, sop some blues would be good purples by other place's standards.

A few simple comments:

-You always learn SOMETHING by training with someone who is higher ranked ("more experienced") than you are.
-Doing well in competition at ANY belt level does not necessarily translate into being a good teacher.
-What you pay your instructor to learn BJJ is ultimately a personal decision. You do NOT necessarily "get what you pay for." Once you find a good instructor, you'll realize that what they charge you is reasonable, if not a bargain, for what you're getting.

It is cool to learn from a "high" blue belt but $99 a month for a blue belt instructor is alot.

Wolverine
///

Man some of yall in this topic are getting straight ripped off. I pay 130 for purple belt instruction but I get unlimited classes plus JKD+MT+FMA.

LOl, i pay $62.50 Australian for instruction from a brown, unfortunately he cant grade, have to have head coach come over for that, and belts are given out very spareingly but its a damn good school still.

Oktavius said:
LOl, i pay $62.50 Australian for instruction from a brown, unfortunately he cant grade, have to have head coach come over for that, and belts are given out very spareingly but its a damn good school still.
That's crazy cheap. Where abouts is it? And how many classes per/week?

im sorry but i wouldnt want my main trainer to be a blue belt. You just dont know enough at that belt level to be instructing others.

Sure you could teach them some stuff but at blue belt level you can only know/teach so much. So many techniques you do not have mastered yourself so how can you instruct mulitiple students on them?

ive only been training about 4 months and ive gotten a tap from a couple blue's and once even got a purple. Sure they kick my ass most of the time but there are those times I do get the better of them and I cant imagine one of those guy's being my head instructor... they are good and know way more then me but you're instructor should be somebody that can whip you're ass 99.9% of the time unless you're extremely skilled.

FutureBxer said:
So many techniques you do not have mastered yourself so how can you instruct mulitiple students on them?
That's why you teach techs that you do know.
I think people are talking about teaching a complete begginner. IMO a blue belt should know enough for that.

FutureBxer said:
im sorry but i wouldnt want my main trainer to be a blue belt. You just dont know enough at that belt level to be instructing others.

Sure you could teach them some stuff but at blue belt level you can only know/teach so much. So many techniques you do not have mastered yourself so how can you instruct mulitiple students on them?

ive only been training about 4 months and ive gotten a tap from a couple blue's and once even got a purple. Sure they kick my ass most of the time but there are those times I do get the better of them and I cant imagine one of those guy's being my head instructor... they are good and know way more then me but you're instructor should be somebody that can whip you're ass 99.9% of the time unless you're extremely skilled.

Training 4 months and tapped a purple? Jesus. You're either a phenom or you're purples don't deserve their purples.

physicaltherapy said:
Training 4 months and tapped a purple? Jesus. You're either a phenom or you're purples don't deserve their purples.

4 months tapping purples is incredible. Geez.

Blue belts are invincible on the Underground.

Seriously though there is nothing wrong with learning from a blue but I wouldn't pay that much for it.

Back