How much fat on a low carb diet?

Russo93

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I am about 145 pounds, and 5'8.

I'm training 5-6 days per week for two hours per day.

Trying to get down to about 138 for the IBJJF tournament in chicago coming up on august 22nd, so I am eating about 2200-2300 calories a day instead of the recommended 2700 or so for maintaining my weight.

Livestrong.com recommends that I eat 72 Grams of fat on a normal diet with 330 grams of carbs. When I take all of those carbs away, how much fat, in grams, should I be eating total on a day to day basis? I know I have to up the fats, I'm just not sure by how much.

I am about 145 pounds, and 5'8.

I'm training 5-6 days per week for two hours per day.

Trying to get down to about 138 for the IBJJF tournament in chicago coming up on august 22nd, so I am eating about 2200-2300 calories a day instead of the recommended 2700 or so for maintaining my weight.

Livestrong.com recommends that I eat 72 Grams of fat on a normal diet with 330 grams of carbs. When I take all of those carbs away, how much fat, in grams, should I be eating total on a day to day basis? I know I have to up the fats, I'm just not sure by how much.

A gram of fat is 9 calories. A gram of carbs is 4 calories. You do the math.

if you want to get the same cals from fat as you do from carbs, you need about 145g of fat

Less than 150g of Carbs is a good start.

You probably don't want to eliminate carbs altogether. Lethargy and lack of motivation are a bitch once you're in ketosis. Try lowering carbs to 50-60 just enough so that you aren't in ketosis and your glycogen stores are refilled, 140-150 protein, and the rest fat.

i disagree. being in ketosis feels fine, getting into it is a bitch.

If you are going really low carb you need to get your energy from fat. Make sure you get enough or you will feel crappy.

I've lowered my carbs to about 25 or less a day, with around 95 grams of fat. I feel good so far.

Back