How much extra will you travel to continue training at the same academy?

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by Hatake88, Feb 9, 2020.

1. Hatake88 Blue Belt

Hey guys

I recently moved places and am now an hour each way from my old gym. There is a BJJ school that is walking distance from my new home that offers good quality BJJ but, as sappy as this sounds, I miss my old team.

My dilemma makes me curious - how far would you travel and will you make the switch if you were me? How much does gym loyalty/friendship matter to you?

Fees are basically similar, not taking into account the extra $20 I spend travelling to my old school.

2. GordoBarraBJJ Titanium Belt

I used to travel 2hrs 3 times a week (from another city) to train. Granted this was years ago when I was younger and could handle the long days (getting back home around 11-12pm and having to get up for work the next day).

It's up to you do you really like your team?

3. Badger67 Taxidea taxus

If it doesnt hinder your life in other ways i say travel if you want. Otherwise fuck em. Your fees are your loyalty, once expired you are free.

4. Quebec Nick Purple Belt

Talk to your old instructor maybe he could take you in a couple times a month for a minimal fee. But your main training should be at a short distance. Life is too complicated with kids, work, wife... Even your old coach wouldn't want that from you.

5. dimmyfinster Blue Belt

Lol wut? 20 minute vs 2 hours how is this a question?

6. EGDM Green Belt

I'm not sure I'd drive an hour each way for chemo, never mind training. Switch gyms and save eight hours a week of your life.

7. Ryo Black Belt

Not more than 15 minutes. I live in So Cal... there are way too many great options to be doing that...

8. Daz2300 Orange Belt

I've trained in two gym for 10 and 8 years with one over an hour away and the second half an hour away. We moved about 50 miles about 4 years ago and I still train in both gyms though i now live 5 minutes walk from the best known bjj gym in the country. I'm actually closer to both now but in the city so traffic means both usually take more than an hour to get to either place i train even though the distance is shorter now.

I never considered changing gyms, i like the people i train with and feel a lot of them in both gyms have been a big part of my jiu-jitsu journey. I do this for fun so i'm not interested in swapping to any of the places nearer to home.

9. Quebec Nick Purple Belt

Here in the Montreal suburb we have a lot of small shitty gyms, going into downtown Montreal (which is an Island with crazy trafic on every bridges) is usually not a viable option. So we have about 10 gyms across the south shore and maybe another 10 gyms across the north shore, the best ones being on the Island of course.

Once you have tried every small gyms on your shore, you will do an extra 20-30 minutes to go at the best one that fits for you

10. GoodbyeBlueSky82 White Belt

I would think that at a 2 hour round trip, you would start making rationalizations on not training due to the time commitment, or end up training less out of necessity. Training close by makes sense unless its a bad school.
    I can't imagine losing my team entirely, but I would think an open mat few times a month at the old gym is doable even if you technically now train at a new gym. I would think your instructor would understand, even if you were an upper belt with a longer history at the gym.

11. Tebowned Boise Dime.

I'm at my limit right now.
    From home to work is 30 mins.
    From Work to gym is about 15-20 mins.
    From gym to home is about 20-30 minutes.

12. INTERL0PER Brown Belt

I'm about to have the same situation. Moving to a place that's an hour drive from my main gym. I currently drive about 20-30 mins.

I'm not going to make the new, longer drive every day. I really love my team and I'm super close with a bunch of the people there, but not enough to lose two hours a day. There's an affiliate gym that's 15 mins away, that'll be my new home. It's not as big, and nowhere near as many high level guys, but it's still within "the family", which is great.

I'm planning on driving to my current gym once a week or so for open mats (probably end up once a fortnight or month tbh). That'll mean I can keep in touch with my old coach and training partners. Best of both worlds, imo.

13. tekkenfan Banned Banned

45 mins is my limit id say training 6 days a week that why i gotta find a place closer to the gym i wana be at when i move next time

14. Seso Green Belt

30 minutes