How much does weight truly matter?

Here's a follow up then. What about in strikers primarily who don't wrestle. For instance max Holloway vs Carlos condit. How would that go?
Carlos would take him down because that'd be the smarter play. There's also a power difference. I can't speak to the specifics, but obviously bigger = more power.

That's interesting being that I'm currently training for my first amy fight in boxing and debating if I wanna cut weight or not since the weight classes are so close in boxing.
My cousin was ranked number two in my country at about 60 kilos. He beat the no 1 ranked guy 2 times. He moved up a couple of times, And lost, And said it was a big difference. He couldn't beat the good guys about two kilos up. He did cut quite a lot of weight even on same day weigh ins. After military service he couldn't handle the weightcut, And quit. This doesn't make me an expert, but it is What I know about it...
I would think it matters even more in grappling.

Good luck.

It's going to have less of an impact as you go up the weight classes because it's a smaller percentage of overall bodyweight. But it does have a significant impact in many cases. Being able to carry 25-30 lbs more lean bodyweight often has an impact on strength and will normally provide a leverage advantage in clinch, throws, takedowns and ground control assuming other skills are near equal in those disciplines.

I tend to agree that lower weights have more skill. But would the skill of a featherweight(normal sized) be able to over come a Welterweight. I think max vs condit would be a great fight to gauge this since there both similar fighters.
That would be a good fight, and I tend to agree that Max' speed would be enough to make it competitive but I don't see a scenario where Max finishes that fight. Or most any FW vs a WW.

#GUERNICAbless

U4nCB6

qmzGES.gif

It matters a lot on the grappling, thats for sure!.. in the striking not so much. Depending on the difference in weight of course. Cruz could beat many 145 guys and a lot of 155 guys, you're telling me Cruz couldn't beat someone like Gray Maynard at LW. he would embarrass him easily, wouldn't even get touched.

At the level these guys are competing it matters a lot. Even 10 lbs is a significant difference. Once you hit 20 lbs the smaller guy is going to have to be on a different level than the bigger guy.

Here's a follow up then. What about in strikers primarily who don't wrestle. For instance max Holloway vs Carlos condit. How would that go?
Holloway's punches wouldn't faze Condit at all and all of Condit shots would hurt Max a lot

Now I'm not talking mighty mouse vs Stipe weight difference. But more like 25 to 30 pounds up. For instance. Is it wildly impossible for Dominick Cruz to beat Conor McGregor? Or for Conor to beat woodley? How about Aldo vs Wonderboy? Conor is about 167-170 max. Woodley has said to walk around like 195 or so. If there was an open weight grand pre for all weight classes 170 and below only, could a bantamweight, featherweight, or lightweight take it?
Fair on the lower weight classes, as a % may seem more significant. Then the weight difference results in more striking power and grappling capacity (matters more probably)

Now I'm not talking mighty mouse vs Stipe weight difference. But more like 25 to 30 pounds up. For instance. Is it wildly impossible for Dominick Cruz to beat Conor McGregor? Or for Conor to beat woodley? How about Aldo vs Wonderboy? Conor is about 167-170 max. Woodley has said to walk around like 195 or so. If there was an open weight grand pre for all weight classes 170 and below only, could a bantamweight, featherweight, or lightweight take it?
Striking, not much. Grappling, pretty yes.

But Ronda still wouldn't beat even wheelchair-Cain.

Nobody can tell you with scientific precision how much weight matters.

But what we can tell you, with the utter certainty of the Sherbro, is that weight fucking matters a LOT.

The importance of weight is probably at it's most obvious when 1) two fighters are close in skill but one has a size advantage or 2) when one fighter's size advantage is so great it negates a skill disadvantage. But those are just points on a spectrum with as many points are there are people fighting.

If weight didn't matter you damn sure wouldn't see fighters killing themselves to cut weight. Ask Cyborg if her career was worth bulking up with steroids and cutting weight so she could have a 30 lb weight advantage. It matters, especially in any sport where wrestling or grappling comes into play. It's why judo has same day weigh ins and not day before weigh ins.

Mighty Mouse vs Cruz shows what a 10lb difference can make at the highest level.

To the point where Cowboy 2 came in 6 pounds too heavy vs Will Brooks (?) and he had the choice to call of the fight and got 25% of his money. But that´s not the point the point is those 6 pounds made all of twitter call Cowboy 2 a cheater ect ect

Also Ronda doesn´t wanna fight Cyborg because of 5-10 pounds

Depends. Does the fight turn into a grappling war?

Back