How much does weight play into BJJ?

Discussion in 'Worldwide MMA Discussion' started by MMAProfessional, Aug 1, 2015.

1. MMAProfessional

MMAProfessional Golden Belt

I had never done BJJ but I rolled with my buddy who trained and won a few wrestling and BJJ tournaments. I was able to defend all his submissions but when it came down to reversing him it was really difficult because of how heavy he was. When I tried reversing him he would turn the corner and put his weight on me. He's about 50 pounds heavier then me. If I train more in BJJ with black belts can I get enough technique to overcome a weight disadvantage?

2. karatekick1

karatekick1 Banned Banned

I'd be very surprised if a guy who won legit tournaments couldn't tap out a guy who was untrained and was 50 pounds lighter than him.

You must have been spazzing out like fuck and he wasn't trying that hard.

It is a factor for sure.

I didn't realise how much till I got fat towards the end of my training.

I'd say from blue belt to black belt a 30 pound weight advantage is roughly equivalent to one belt grading.

3. Darwinist

Darwinist Super Simian

If you have a decent amount of functional(read: not pure lard) weight on a higher belt and you have at least some idea of what you are doing, it definitely helps. Don't let anyone tell you different. But it only goes so far.

I

4. karatekick1

karatekick1 Banned Banned

^^ I agree about it being very difficult to have a BJJ score but I was wanting to put a rough estimate out there rather than saying "size matters".

5. epathebay

epathebay Green Belt

Yeah weight matters more than most would think.

I you have 30-40 lbs on a guy it will make a HUGE difference even if he is more technical then you. Of course this changes at the highest levels. But just for rolling in a gym your weight will be a huge asset. Thats why weight classes are made.

any Legacy/RFA/Titan fighting level Lightweight would absolutely kill Mighty Mouse

6. MMAProfessional

MMAProfessional Golden Belt

So was he...I'm not her to boast just wondering if you can overcome weight. Because I felt like my technique was there which made it even more frustrating because even with my technique there was nothing I could do to overcome the size disadvantage.

7. Combat Squirrel

Combat Squirrel Blue Belt

Size matters in grappling, although not as much as in wrestling or striking. Based on my experience. Same for athleticism.

BJJ trainers say otherwise because small and unathletic people pay 100$/month to believe they would armbar Mike Tyson.

8. bjjwar

bjjwar Brown Belt

Agree.Weight and athleticism matter in pretty much anything related to fighting.Ofc technique and skill are important,but roll with a srong dude that outweights you by many pounds and you'll see how hard it is.

9. Someoneelse

Someoneelse Yellow Belt

There needs to be a good discrepancy in skill to overcome a size disadvantage. Also keep in mind that when grappling you have to move around more weight than your opponent does when you're smaller than them. You have to work harder to manipulate your opponent's weight and they don't have to work nearly as hard to move a person who weighs nothing. I'm the lightest adult at my mma gym (~130lbs) so I know this all too well. I routinely roll with people with like a 100lb weight advantage. I've been a blue belt for a little while and I'm able to deal with any sized white belt pretty easily even when they have a wrestling background. When they're the same rank as me and outweigh me then that weight disadvantage starts to become a factor because the skill gap is smaller. I have a friend who's a blue belt and has 40lbs of muscle on me and I'm able to get the better of him most of the time, but it's a lot tougher than it should be because it's hard to even move the guy around when you wanna sweep someone like that, or even to hold him down. On the up side, once I actually roll with someone my own size it feels hella easy.

10. A Loser

A Loser Orange Belt

Stop trolling

11. Burning Hammer

Burning Hammer Banned Banned

lol this troll thread

12. EndlessCritic

EndlessCritic Gold Belt

this guy needs to stop making threads.

13. Respeezy

Respeezy Purple Belt

You never done bjj yet you speak about your technique... interesting.

14. Irenaeus

Irenaeus Black Belt

It's not.

Sherdog won't help you. You assessing your own technique won't help you. Go train at a proper gym.

15. Satchm0

Satchm0 Purple Belt

I smell dog shit

16. James L

James L on a cloud among many others

TS, your anecdote comes across as embellished to all hell if you say the BJJ guy was also spazzing out, especially the way you said it. No he wasn't, there is never a reason to spazz at all.

Size disadvantages and advantages matter, how much or how little depends on the skill of both people rolling, and also how hard both are going. If both are going light, it's just a stalemate the whole time, unless there's THAT much of a skill difference. Sometimes I'm going as light as I can, and if I am against someone who's weak, their size doesn't matter. IMO, strength and power matter more than size. Also, you need to know how to use your size, when I was 145lbs and had dominant position, even if they were heavier than me I could make it seem like I weighed 300lbs or more by willing it, and thinking heavy. Leverage can come into play too, if you guys start standing up it's very apparent if put into a bad position or you have a good position and are making your seemingly stronger opponent struggle.

The very last time that size was a big deal for me, was against a brown belt who was 370 through 420, basically 5 foot 9 wall of sentient flesh that loved jitz. I was what I am now, a no belt, but I didn't have the brown belt or medium prestige black belt prowess I do now, I was about a blue or just getting there, and the route to RNCing this guy was fucking ridiculous, motherfucker almost kimura'd my arm off. Also, when facing a wall of flesh, you're going to have to find an alternative way to get it to the ground, you probably aren't taking down that guy, unless you're quicker than a cat, I had to try frustratingly hard to single leg this mofo.

Without being coached, you'll never "win" a BJJ roll. Also, if the guy is blue belt or higher, chances are they know submission chaining unless their teacher sucks, and they'll never go all out on you, if you ask, the person will turn you into a contortionist. Like I said, I'm a no belt, but I know how to chain every single submission I know and if I want to, I won't stop til the person taps.

17. BJJ_Rage

BJJ_Rage Gold Belt

you think your technique was there, WHAT TECHNIQUE??? you never trained in your life lmfao...