how much does it cost??

kerplunkett1

White Belt
Reaction score
i was just wondering...
how much do you think it would cost to open a gym??
uncluding:
mats
bags
rent
a cage (ring)
Treadmills
and what ever else

it seems like this would cost to much to do how do ppl make money off there gyms

A lot. You have to have some drawing power to make people want to come. It will be a long time before you break even. In fact sometimes you don't break even. At least that was the case when Andy Wang and I opened a gym. We couldn't decide what to name it so we used both of our last names.

-Darryl Sukin

You could easily be in for a $50k initial investment for equipment if you got everything you mentioned with a fair number of each. Then add rent to that per month. In Va, if you're talking NoVa you can probably charge $150+ per month per student, but you'd better have at least 2 training sessions for both Muay Thai and BJJ per day and a fairly respected set of instructors. The DC area has a pretty decent group of instructors at the various gyms, so you'd have to make yours stand out, either by offering something the other guys don't or by having a lower price per month for membership.

All in all though, if it's money you're looking to make and you're not fairly well known in the sport, where your name can get people to sign up right away, it most likely isn't a good investment.

As has already been said...

Depending on where you are located (you mentioned that, but i do not know commercial prices in your neck of the woods), and how crazy you want to go with buying all top of the line equipment you could easiler spend 50-150K to get started

Having said that if you keep it a little more low key and bargin bin it a bit you could most likely get going for 10-20K...

As also was mentioned...it would be best to have a bit of a student base before getting started, esp if you are spending 50-150K...otherwise you will be out of business in no time!

Well Ron at SSF started up a gym recently and GalltiK also started up one though that was low key.Maybe you could contact them for ideas?

I call work unless I see a picture!

Of the sign,right?:icon_chee

That is kinda unfortunate.I remember when my kids were born trying out all variations of their names and initials so they were not gonna get the piss taken outta them in later years....too easy to cock up with things like that if you aint careful...

Remember a few that almost came to fruition over here amongst the renaming of universities....

College-University of Newcastle-upon-Tyne.Look at the large initials.

And Kingston uni almost called itself University College Kingston.So when you graduated you would therefore be a Fellow University College Kingston.Again look at the initials and imagine that upon your resume.

And one of my former workmates had the surname of Shaw.First name of Colin.So that became C Shaw.(say it out loud)

pretty expensive cause youll have to include trainers and several of each kind of gear, throwing dummies ect.

Virginia doesn't narrow things down. Rural Virginia is dirt cheap. Richmond, Va is pretty expensive but not overly so. Northern Virginia is one of the most expensive places for rent in the country.

Back