How much does hand size factor into punching power?

I think it's less so much about hand size itself that is a major mechanical factor, but more that, hand size is entangled with a number of other factors as well that do have a more major impact on the development of punching force.

Last edited:
Your hands need to be strong (grip strength for example), not exactly big.
But, if you have bigger hands, they are stronger even without training them.

My late father once told me his karate teacher identified small hands as an asset, likening their concentrated effect to that of a bullet. For what it's worth.

a larger bullet still does more damage than a small one though

a larger bullet still does more damage than a small one though

1 or 2 mm extra wound channel doesn't bring you much closer to hitting vitals if your aim is off 1 or 2 inches anyways.

The two most important factors for small arms lethality by far are, first, shot placement to put rounds on vitals, and second, sufficient penetration to reach vitals, at the given range of engagement. Anything else is so far less impactful as to be almost irrelevant (though even then, it is often generally round design itself that has greater consequences than just the size of it alone; for example, an expanding or frangible .22 or .30 round would create much more tissue destruction than an FMJ .40 or .50).

If you don't hit vitals (CNS or heart), then you're not going to stop someone. The best you could hope for otherwise is if you nick an artery or popped their lung envelope so they bleed out a few minutes later.

So in this respect, the deadliest cartridges you can buy are ones where you can spend the most rounds practicing on in your monthly budget.
A secondary concern would be ones that let you carry lots of extras and have controllable recoil, so you can put multiple shots on target (upping your chance at hitting vitals) in a short time.

Last edited:
1 or 2 mm extra wound channel doesn't bring you much closer to hitting vitals if your aim is off 1 or 2 inches anyways.

The two most important factors for small arms lethality by far are, first, shot placement to put rounds on vitals, and second, sufficient penetration to reach vitals, at the given range of engagement. Anything else is by far less impactful (though even then, it is often generally round design itself that has greater consequences than just the size of it alone; for example, an expanding or frangible .22 or .30 round would create much more tissue destruction than an FMJ .40 or .50).

If you don't hit vitals (CNS or heart), then you're not going to stop someone. The best you could hope for otherwise is if you nick an artery or popped their lung envelope so they bleed out a few minutes later.

So in this respect, the deadliest cartridges you can buy are ones where you can spend the most rounds practicing on in your monthly budget.
A secondary concern would be ones that let you carry lots of extras and have controllable recoil, so you can put multiple shots on target (upping your chance at hitting vitals) in a short time.

well actually hitting the target is obviously a requirement...

well actually hitting the target is obviously a requirement...

These are the sorts of discussions that repeat an near unlimited number of times across the net, and probably will be in the future as well unfortunately. For most people it seems, the biggest problem is that they take it as a given that there will be (that they will have) accuracy, or perhaps more specifically, that cartridge parameters don't have an influence on accuracy (and volume of fire), when it isn't, and it does.

>all else being equal, and more massive round is likely to be more lethal

But all else is never equal... so people get misinformed; or rather, misinform themselves, with sloppy thinking. (Then go and make poor purchasing decisions based on that thinking suboptimal for the actual application(s) they want.)

Last edited:
Well right now I'm thinking of Matt Serra a small guy with awesome power who has knocked out heaps of bigger guys.....

Power comes from good technique and conditioning.

Bone size can come into it however that chin is all it takes, hyper-extend those neck muscles and its a spark!

Last edited:
I could see it both ways. Think about the force generated into a punch, you would think the more concentrated it becomes (small hands) the more damage it can do. On the other hand, if you want to deliver as much energy as possible (KO) it is probably better to spread that force out over a greater surface area (bigger hands).

Ryan Parsons has done some interesting work/research into this very topic when he was a part of Everlast developing that new MMA glove that promised to reduce hand injuries.

If im squaring up to spar a new guy the only thing ill look for is hip-type speed, bounciness or 'fast-twitchiness' and primarily reach - never hand size.

dick size matters more. in the locker rooms i always make sure to look at all the dicks so that i know which guys i cant beat in the ring. with women who knows!

I think big hands would be bad for punching. Smaller hands are faster, go through smaller openings in the guard and hit a smaller surface but with greater impact.

But regular small hands are bad as well. People with smaller hands have less strength and they break easier.

Hendo and Fedor have small hands but they are strong dudes, so you probably need small but strong hands and a good core and explosive hips.

Hendo is probably the only juicer I don't hate. I mean the dude is so chill it's impossible :D

Not sure if Fedor had small hands or Igor just had larger ones but I wouldn't want to get hit by either...

10864.jpg

Hmm....I think a breaker with a thicker wrist/hand (bones) would fare better than one with a thinner one.

Where has he said that ?

Never heard of this before, is it legit even if Hendo didnt say it ?

Think about it man

You ball up that real tight fist, its gonna be a far more effective striking instrument than if your hand is all lose and floppy

Think about it man

You ball up that real tight fist, its gonna be a far more effective striking instrument than if your hand is all lose and floppy

Yeah true

So it's it a case of just going through the day and making and extra tight fist and squeezing multiple times or are there specific exercises to improve this ?

It has more to do with how strong your shoulders are, engaging your core, acceleration and the length of your arm

I had already thought about this. My conclusion is simple and has little influence.

law of physics minor surface area greater impact

Back