how much do you spend on gear?

G

Gavin LeFever

for those of you who train striking and/or grpapling and whatever, how much crap did you buy?

i always felt the need to drill those kids who would show up for their first day wrestling and have top of the line shoes and gear and etc and they don't even know if they like the sport. lol, that aint me.

i'd lace up my old broken in adias regulars, retape the toe and it's go time. now if there was a 125$ cup, i might look into that investment.

i'm hopefully going to be training soon and they'll let me know what i need but i'm probably showing up in a nike T and some shorts with the nessecary footgear & cup. what should i expect?

Expect to spend MONEY on gloves and shinguards. You may end up buying some grappling shorts at some point, but that's probably about it. Whatever is comfortable for you and safe for everyone else. It's ok to have something old and delapidated as long as its not something important like the gloves where someone else's safety could be at risk. But yeah, like i said thats probably it.

Sorry i forgot any actual prices
Gloves: $50
Shinguards: $40
Shorts: $30
Rashguard: $35
Cup: $6
Kimono: $100

Thats for my main set of stuff. I know a lot of people have a few pairs of shorts, a couple rashguards and a couple or more gloves too.

I spend as little as possible (seeing that I'm a poor college student) but I still spend a good bit. Especally considering im on a tight budget. But hey, I love it so it's worth it.

I just train BJJ for now and all I really spent thus far is 100 for the gi (gym got it ordered for me and everything), around 10 for the mouthpiece and about 10 for the cup. My total equip. cost was about 120 bucks. I do intend on taking some MMA classes here so gloves and shin pads will be nesscessary to add to the ol combat collection.

I have a few pair of sprawls, a couple pairs of gloves, some shin guards an opro mouthguard, a few rashguards, some boxing gloves, a jumprope and cup= 3 million dollars.

yelm said:
I have a few pair of sprawls, a couple pairs of gloves, some shin guards an opro mouthguard, a few rashguards, some boxing gloves, a jumprope and cup= 3 million dollars.

You got ripped off. I could have sold you all that for only $500,000 dollars :icon_twis

I do BJJ. Like you, I don't like to spend a lot on gear. I rolled in a t-shirt and shorts for the first couple of weeks until I understood what I should be buying.

$80 Atama gold weave gi (on sale)
$20 mouth guard (got a small tooth chip and was ready to invest)
$15 cup (the cheap cup wasn't doing it so I went with the XO)
$15 head gear (tender, red, slightly swollen, and warm ears told me I was ready to spend the $15)

I guess I started off cheap but ended up with what I think is a pretty complete package. At least the 14 year old gym bag look thrifty. :)

Probably about $300 or so. Muay Thai shorts cover about half of that.

Back