How much do reviews influence your decision to catch a movie in the theater?

So what movies perk your interest?

Movies with interesting plot lines or horror movies that don't look like complete crap. That new Denzel movie "Fences" looks pretty good.

Other recent ones that caught my eye and made me want to go see them in theaters

Arrival
Nocturnal Animals
The Witch
Green Room
Under The Shadows
Captain Fantastic
Hunt For The Wilderpeople
It Follows

I have a theater near me that shows all the limited release movies, I find myself going to that theater more than the mainstream one at this point. Not really big on Franchises, Generic Comedies, or Super hero movies so indie movies have kind of become my go to.

I'll check out the Rotten Tomatoes score for my own curiosity, but I don't read reviews until I've actually seen the movie.

If I want to see a movie, reviews won't really affect my decision to see it. I went to see Rogue One today and the sherdog reviews were 4 and 5's out of 10. Still spent money to watch that shit. DGAF. So what I guess I'm saying is hype trumps all.

If I want to see a movie, reviews won't really affect my decision to see it. I went to see Rogue One today and the sherdog reviews were 4 and 5's out of 10. Still spent money to watch that shit. DGAF. So what I guess I'm saying is hype trumps all.

There may be a bunch of assholes on Sherdog, but the RT score was an 84% the last time I looked.

Uniformly bad reviews will usually make me swerve a film, unless I'm particularly desperate to see it.

I haven't really paid enough attention to reviews in general to know which reviewers my opinions tend to align with, so I'd have to say they don't really influence me at all.

I tend to find enjoyment in movies that other people hate. So if I'm interested in a movie and it's at least a 5 on IMDB, I'll usually check it out. But when it's lower than a 5, I find the low rating usually pretty accurately reflects a shitty movie.

Sherdog opinion, yes, but critic reviews, nope. I'm not one that only enjoys what's on the surface, but a lot of critics will criticise a movie based on a lot of things I either won't notice or won't care that much about and on the flip side, there are certain things (like visual style) that will bump a movie up for me, that they won't give much credence to.

if @Loiosh recommends something I tend to check it out.

Thanks, but I hope to god you didn't see me recommend The OA.

That show had promise but ended up a steaming pile.

Thanks, but I hope to god you didn't see me recommend The OA.

That show had promise but ended up a steaming pile.

hhaha nah I didn't. I did make it to episode 2 though but gave up on it.

I would say

Rotten Tomatoes 33% of influence

Sherdog reviews 33%

and other reviews I find online or word of mouth 34%

It all depends, I have watched a number of movies I knew little about due to great reviews and generally they are right. Same time i have skipped movies I wanted to see due to bad reviews. But the key is actually reading most of the complaints. For example rotten tomatoes can be skewed easily if the movie is good but just weak enough to get a negative review from most critics. Or they may have been one flaw that bothered some people but doesn't bother you. I also look at the fan response percent next to the reviews. That generally is fairly accurate with how enjoyable the movie is even if it is flawed/not technically a good movie.

For example rotten tomatoes can be skewed easily if the movie is good but just weak enough to get a negative review from most critics.

Interesting. I usually think of it the other way, that a lot of movies end up with artificially high scores because most critics rate them JUST highly enough to get a fresh review. Then you end up with a movie that has an 80% even though most of those positive reviews are around the 6/10 or 7/10 mark.

I think that Metacritic is probably ultimately better than RT in terms of scoring because they at least separate reviews out into positive, negative and mixed instead of just positive and negative.

I only go to the theater to see movies from directors or writers that I like, and I only care about the opinion of a specific group of reviewers.

None. The movie,The Counselor, got bashed but I really loved it.

Back