How much do reviews influence your decision to catch a movie in the theater?

if @Loiosh recommends something I tend to check it out.

If I've been looking forward to seeing something I'll go see it regardless of whether or not it gets good reviews. I tend to like things that other people don't think much of. Ghostbusters 2016 would be a good example of that lol. Although The Gallows had shit reviews and I was excited for it, and god was it shit lmao.

There's also movies where I never gave any thought or consideration of and people who have the same taste as me reviewed it and said its great and so I went n seen it, like with Fury Road.

Basically people's opinions won't stop me from seeing something but they may influence me to see other things.

. . . in the D&RTLMYS threads

The what?

Most professional reviewers in my opinion are terrible

I hear a lot of people say this--my dad included actually--but I don't understand where the sentiment comes from.

For one, there are a ton of reviewers (Rogue One currently has 311 reviews catalogued on RT). For another, a ton of films get very mixed reviews with at least some reviewers liking it and some disliking it. So to act like "professional reviewers" are some collective who always arrive at the same opinion doesn't really add up.

Yeah it was alright.

I'd probably rate it 6/10

The set pieces and the sci fi tech was really good. CGI was good

The love story part was kinda eh and the last act was pretty predictable

Thanks. 6/10 still means I wait for DVD. But I'll check it out eventually.

None.

2f48cb7ded282f477bd785cf9ce2ca34553a2fb7_hq.gif

I never read reviews but I check the scores on Metacritic and RT. Like @BJ@LW&WW said above, if a film has under a 50% then there's a good chance that will be enough to make me wait for DVD. The exceptions are those films where I was really bowled over by the trailer and I just don't give a fuck.

If it's a movie I'm on until fence about, I'll take the Metacritic audience score into consideration, but that's about it.

I used to go by reviews a lot more, but honestly I have a good feel for what I will like at this point. With games especially I would have missed out on some real gems if I only went by reviews. Some games I absolutely loved got pretty bad reviews.

I don't mean to brag but I can tell a shit movie from a trailer, idk how most people can't

0%. a lot of movies that get bad reviews I like, and vise versa

They usually influence. However nowadays I go so rarely to the Cinema that I it's almost impossible to get disappointed. I usually just watch monumental films (which make the experience worth it), or if I really like the director (the hateful eight was a real small film but I've to watch every Tarantino in theaters).
I don't watch anything below 7.5

Last edited:
That's interesting. I was interested in that one as well but also decided not to go because of the reviews.

Sounds like I should go ahead and give it a look.

I saw the Imdb after seeing the movie, which had lots of negative reviews.

But I thought it was non stop fun and well made. It's fantasy meets a detective style investigation, with lots of action, and it looks great.

more than they used to due to DL's movie threads. But i'd say that's more in regards to seeing a movie in a theater than seeing one at all.

That's interesting. I was interested in that one as well but also decided not to go because of the reviews.

Sounds like I should go ahead and give it a look.

The saw last witch hunter and thought it was really fun

I kinda hope they do a sequel

The what?

I hear a lot of people say this--my dad included actually--but I don't understand where the sentiment comes from.

For one, there are a ton of reviewers (Rogue One currently has 311 reviews catalogued on RT). For another, a ton of films get very mixed reviews with at least some reviewers liking it and some disliking it. So to act like "professional reviewers" are some collective who always arrive at the same opinion doesn't really add up.

D&RTLMYS

Discuss & Rate the last movie you saw

XD

Quite a bit. If I'm looking forward to seeing a movie but I hear nothing but bad reviews on it, it at the very least kills my enthusiasm, and at most I'll end up not seeing it.

Only to an extent. If I want to watch a movie, I'll watch it, unless it gets a rating of below 30%, usually. Unless it's a horror movie, because they usually just get shit on, for not being 3-hour, slow-burning dramas about love and loss.

Back