How much do mma gyms typically cost? what is too much...what is a good deal?

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by Williestubz2010, Oct 6, 2010.

1. Williestubz2010

Williestubz2010 White Belt

Im trying to find a gym for me...and theres a gym in my area...and the deal we worked out is that i train muay thai with strength training after on mondays...brazilian jiu jitsu on wednesdays...and fridays brazilian jiu jitsuo again...so i train 3 days out of the week and it cost $100 a month...if i want to add classes but i believe its more...100 a month for what i mentioned...is that good?

this is the gym im looking at
    The Center Martial Arts - Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Muay Thai, MMA, Full Contact Japanese Karate located in Bridgeport, CT

Last edited: Oct 6, 2010
  2. joe90210

joe90210 Blue Belt

depends where you live, 100$ is pretty standard

3. namdogg59

namdogg59 Yellow Belt

Hundred is pretty standard, but is three days a week enough training time for you? You might wanna look at paying a little bit more for unlimited classes if possible, because things come up during the day that can interrupt your normal training schedule. It's nice to be able to know that there is another class you can go to, to make up the missed training session.

4. Brian2

Brian2 Blue Belt

That isn't very many classes for $100 IMO. I pay $100 a month for me and my 2 kids to go unlimited, which is about 11 classes a week

Edit* i pay $80 a month for me, $20 a month for my son and they threw in my daughter for free since I signed us all up and I tend to stick around and help a lot

Last edited: Oct 6, 2010
  5. BigStaff

BigStaff Purple Belt

I believe it depends on the area you live in.... it's 110 for unlimited at my gym. This includes BJJ MWF day and night classes and also MMA TTS day and night classes except for sunday which is one MMA class. Also open Mat on Saturday from 12 to like 3 I think....

6. Knuckles69

Knuckles69 Purple Belt

It depends on the quality of the instruction.

I pay $100/month at my school. To be honest I think it's a great deal because I have a lot of confidence in the level of instruction we're getting.

I've dropped in on places that I wouldn't pay $50/month to train at because of the level of instruction or the environment. If you're getting good instruction then $100 is a good deal.

7. Williestubz2010

Williestubz2010 White Belt

8. nefti

nefti Red Belt

well gass price in la in oct 2005 was about 2.50 a gal now it's dam near 3.00 a gallon. I dont know about it being priced out of the market, i see schools opening and doing well. If anything, they are doing the brasilian model in the us by marketing bjj to the middle/upper class.

9. KaosX

KaosX Banned Banned

Where I go it's $60 a month (you pay 2 months at a time) and you get 3x each BJJ and MT a week, with a Judo class every sunday.

Jude Fahley likes this.
  10. Freezing Winds**

Freezing Winds** Green Belt

bridgeport is a dump but 100 a month in CT is not bad.

i am in LI and pay 200

11. NovaUniaoWesty

NovaUniaoWesty Yellow Belt

$200 should be the high end, $100 the low end.

I fall in the middle of the spectrum. I get 5 hours of MT (more to come as our school just opened) from Duane Bang, 10+ BJJ classes (again more to come), MMA, Kali, Yoga, and Cardio Boxing/Kickboxing and were a Robson Moura Affiliate (all per week ofcourse)

12. Brian McLaughlin

Brian McLaughlin Green Belt Professional Fighter

Price is relative to product. I run a school and I hate when people who know nothing about my gym, my ability as an instructor, or the quality of our training ask me the price.

What does the price even mean? If I say $15 a month does that make it a great deal? What if I'm terrible? Then you are getting ripped off. If I tell them $200 a month is it automatically too much? What if I could make them a world class athlete and a UFC champ? If that were the case I could charge triple that and it would still be a steal.

13. nefti

nefti Red Belt

at the end of the day live within your means

14. CrazyJHL

CrazyJHL Brown Belt

I'm wondering how old you are, and whether or not you are a student. Most gyms have a student discount, or possibly that 100 dollars is the student discount. If nothing else the gym looks nice.

15. Jude Fahley

Jude Fahley White Belt

How do you know the situation of everyone who wants to train in martial arts but isnt privledged enough to afford the car payment of 200 dollars a month for an hour of training 3 nights a week? unless you live in philly thats not a fair price at all. Especially when you still have to buy all your equipment. I could see if you had weights in your facility as well and your members had a nice facility to train in. I still like a fair price is for 100-125 dollars. I know 75 dollars might not sound like much to you. But that could be someones eletric bill that month. But Make it affordable to everyone which will INCREASE class size.. you'd be surprised how many people who would do bjj.. (who are honestly probably better althetes anyway) can't becuse of their socio-economic situation. Not a fair assement to make on people trying to learn.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2017
  16. Jude Fahley

Jude Fahley White Belt

Martial arts is an ancient form of art and i believe that it is in its history to be more about the professor being able to teach and student wanting to learn. They trained their warriors for war not for money and greed. Everyone has to make money doing something but if you have a class of 20-30 people at least month! Idk It just seems that for doing something you love you would be okay with that 30k a year before expenses..i think thats a valid point of view just my opinion.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2017
  17. Striderxdj

Striderxdj Brown Belt

I would say 100-150 a month is the standard, with slight variances depending on amenities and level of instruction.

18. 2008

2008 Green Belt

I pay $125 a month at my gym and its unlimited classes. I sort of got grandfathered in. If your student it's $125.

My coach is now charging $150 a month for unlimited classes for the general public...this include bjj and muay thai classes.

$100-$150 is the standard tuition. Obviously it cost more if you live in an expensive city life NYC or LA or chicago.

If it's more than $150 I think it becomes too expensive and they might be price gouging.

19. SubmissionarY

SubmissionarY White Belt

150 a month for unlimited training at Checkmat HQ in Long Beach :)

20. mrln242

mrln242 Green Belt

$125/mnth unlimited BJJ up to 10 classes/ week. Pretty inexpensive for AZ and most of the West coast and southwest.