How much do MMA gyms make?

Ogata

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
How much do MMA gyms make from harboring UFC fighters and do they make less money than Mcdojo type gyms?

It all depends.
Quite a few are a money pit.

And I doubt it's very feasible to make money from pros alone.
One needs "civilian" classes too.

Not a lot. A lot of MMA fighters think this is a good investment until they get into it. Ask Randy Couture, who had plans to open up a worldwide franchise with Xtreme Couture.

McDojos def make more money. Legit gyms just don't make very much money. Amateur fighters and low to mid level fighters are usually broke and don't want to pay to train in your facilities anyway. Money in martial arts comes from kids and soccer moms looking to get in shape

A kickboxing place only needs to add a few BJJ classes and cardio boxing and then they are MMA for the masses.

Most people want to get fit and learn a few moves.

You'll likely never be wealthy, but you can make a decent living. You can't do pros only, that is for sure. Most places have BJJ classes and kickboxing classes with varying degrees of difficulty from Filthy Casual to legit training.

It all depends.

I am not talking a strict fight gym. What I mean is, a gym with UFC fighters that teach a recreational class.

Wont that make money since regular people want to train with well known fighters?

Both my previous and current MMA gyms make a lot... Just enough pros succeeding that it inspires the hordes of hobbyists... My old gym owner has a nice house, can feed his family of 3, and bought a customized motorcycle recently for fun...
He also goes on two vacations a year ...

I think a lot of it has to do with logistics. I live in a fairly small city (or big town), and there is no way our gym is even making enough to pay the bills. We have an abundance of people who could potentially fill the gym. Lots of tough guys, but none that would actually train and be exposed. Those guys only fight other guys that are wasted or are sucker punching people. Owner is super rich already and opened the gym basically for his daughter to train at when she isn't at her other main gym. We have a fantastic coach, and about 70% of the people at the gym are ammy fighters. We have a good core group of guys, and others that float in and out from month to month.

A lot of them lose money.

Like almost all other business, it comes down to the person running it and the intentions they have, as an example, take construction company's, some guys work with a few tools out of their hatchbacks locally, and some guys build skyscrapers all over the world. Or compare UFC to a local bar brawl promotion, there is always market opportunity pretty much anywhere you are to work with.

Also, over the years I have trained at least 20 different dojo's/clubs in 8 different disciplines, in three provinces across Canada. Some were lavishly equipped in large buildings owned, and some were broom closets run by punch drunks in low rent warehouses.

There is plenty of money out there for the right qualified martial artist with good business acumen that gains the respect and trust of others.

It all depends.

I wondered about that when a gym that has several well known fighters also had a fat woman on a yoga mat.

A kickboxing place only needs to add a few BJJ classes and cardio boxing and then they are MMA for the masses.

Most people want to get fit and learn a few moves.

Do they make good money?

Does it have to be BJJ or can it be submission grappling?

Back