How much did the Alvarez title fight change your opinion on Conor's TDD

His grappling has been good throughout his whole UFC career and it has improved like the rest of his game. Haters just want to focus on his two worst performances which both came against late notice opponents. Getting taken down by Mendes and choked out by Diaz doesn't make your grappling bad.

Obviously not, I mean every McGregor opponent has been a can except Aldo and that was a complete fluke.
Damn dude... what does it take for you to not consider someone a can?

200.gif

Mendez waz a long time top 5 guy. Halloway is now on the P4P list. Alvarez waz the LW champ. Portier ain't no can & Nate is far from being a can.

& that Aldo "fluke" you speak of... Conor was practicing that exact move backstage before entering the octogon. He clearly saw a hole in Aldo'z game & manipulated it to perfection. No fluke.

It didn't really change much for me. Still an unknown. Had it been a fresh Eddie who hadn't already been cracked, then yeah i'd say things have improved. But his take down attempts were so forced from being hurt and he seemed so hesitant closing the distance for it because of it. It let conor read it like a book, so he was easily able to obtain a fairly easy underhook to work with. Khabib will most likely be a stiff test for tdd though should the fight materialize.

200.gif

Mendez waz a long time top 5 guy. Halloway is now on the P4P list. Alvarez waz the LW champ. Portier ain't no can & Nate is far from being a can.

& that Aldo "fluke" you speak of... Conor was practicing that exact move backstage before entering the octogon. He clearly saw a hole in Aldo'z game & manipulated it to perfection. No fluke.
I was being sarcastic and highlighting the stupidity of his haters ;), just in fewer sentences than yourself.
Merry Xmas bud.

He had a knee injury going into UFC 189 so that may have had an effect on his TDD but he has certainly improved it leaps and folds over the next couple of fights.

His growth and maturity as a fighter is truly astounding to watch no matter how you feel about his antics outside the Octagon.
Yea agree with that .
He hypes his fights as the dominant fighter but in just about every fight, he has been the underdog in my mind. That's why I like to pull for him.
Like most humans, it takes being tested to figure what you're really made of. Most people don't 100 percent believe in themselves until they prove it a few times and he's made
a pretty dam good case he is what he says he is.

In the early days of Chuck Lidel's career I just wasn't convinced he was as good as his victories suggested, but he kept doing it. Eventually, I was convinced.

Hes gotten better but then again Alvarez isnt a great wrestler just ok to good. Khabib WILL take him down.

His TDD and ability to get back up is criminally underrated. People here act as if he's easy to get down and hold down because of the Mendes fight.

The people that use this as 'evidence' are basically just insulting Mendes' wrestling ability. He was a very accomplished wrestler before MMA and is, in my opinion, the best wrestler at 145. Getting taken down and held down by Mendes isn't the best way to judge if someones TDD and ability to get back up isn't very good. There's no shame in being taken down/held down by somebody on Chad's level in that aspect.

Conor defended plenty of Chad's TD's and got up quickly multiple times as well. Watch Chad's other fights and pay attention how basically none of his opponents could stop his TD's or get back up besides Aldo. Chad usually beat them up on the ground worse than he did to Conor too. Chad is a very good wrestler and nobody else in the UFC could get Conor down up until that point.

Conor's TDD looks to have improved since the too. His entire game has improved since then, especially after the first Diaz fight. Conor is only getting better and if he keeps winning like this over great opponents, he will go down as one of the greatest of all time.

His haters will hold onto anything they can to shit in him. They will always discredit his wins and basically say his opponents were never that good, even though they built his opponent up as the worst match up ever and that they will destroy him.

Conor's TDD is fine. Just because it isn't legendary Jose Aldo level doesn't mean it sucks. His TDD is above average and so is his ability to get back up 'cause he often does it very quickly. His overall grappling is very underrated, it's nowhere near as bad as so many people (blind, hateful fools mostly) so desperately want to believe.

People need to open their eyes and see he has improved and is one of the best fighters in the world. You don't accomplish all of this unless you're very good.

We're all going to miss him when he's gone. Even the haters will, as much as they don't want to admit it. Just enjoy the show while it you can and stop taking everything so damn seriously.

I was being sarcastic and highlighting the stupidity of his haters ;), just in fewer sentences than yourself.
Merry Xmas bud.
Haha... okay, I see it now. It's hard to tell if people are doing that in here cause there'z actually people who say sh*t like that & mean it... lol...

Merry Christmas to you too bro!

conor santa holding eddie smaller.jpg

It's pretty proven. Pettis has good TDD and he was getting him down.

Conor's ability to manage distance is a TDD within itself.

I don't think i have ever heard someone say Pettis has good TDD

His TDD and ability to get back up is criminally underrated. People here act as if he's easy to get down and hold down because of the Mendes fight.

The people that use this as 'evidence' are basically just insulting Mendes' wrestling ability. He was a very accomplished wrestler before MMA and is, in my opinion, the best wrestler at 145. Getting taken down and held down by Mendes isn't the best way to judge if someones TDD and ability to get back up isn't very good. There's no shame in being taken down/held down by somebody on Chad's level in that aspect.

Conor defended plenty of Chad's TD's and got up quickly multiple times as well. Watch Chad's other fights and pay attention how basically none of his opponents could stop his TD's or get back up besides Aldo. Chad usually beat them up on the ground worse than he did to Conor too. Chad is a very good wrestler and nobody else in the UFC could get Conor down up until that point.

Conor's TDD looks to have improved since the too. His entire game has improved since then, especially after the first Diaz fight. Conor is only getting better and if he keeps winning like this over great opponents, he will go down as one of the greatest of all time.

His haters will hold onto anything they can to shit in him. They will always discredit his wins and basically say his opponents were never that good, even though they built his opponent up as the worst match up ever and that they will destroy him.

Conor's TDD is fine. Just because it isn't legendary Jose Aldo level doesn't mean it sucks. His TDD is above average and so is his ability to get back up 'cause he often does it very quickly. His overall grappling is very underrated, it's nowhere near as bad as so many people (blind, hateful fools mostly) so desperately want to believe.

People need to open their eyes and see he has improved and is one of the best fighters in the world. You don't accomplish all of this unless you're very good.

We're all going to miss him when he's gone. Even the haters will, as much as they don't want to admit it. Just enjoy the show while it you can and stop taking everything so damn seriously.

Well said bro

200.gif

Too bad haterz likely won't make it to the end for a nice message they all need to hear.

Is he really, though? I didn't have the opportunity to watch him prior to his UFC debut, but in his UFC run, he ended up getting outstruck by Cerrone, who isn't the best defensive wrestler to begin with, had a brawl with Gilbert Melendez that didn't feature that much wrestling in my memory, and a fight where he blanketed Pettis, a guy who got outwrestled by Guida and dos Anjos, to a split decision victory. Hard for me to think his wrestling is all that great when he hasn't really displayed it that much.

Eddie has decent wrestling. He's not Frankie. He is a big brawling version of Frankie with more power and explosiveness but less technique in all aspects of mma. This is how Eddie has been since he burst onto the scene back in the Dream LWGP. He has good enough wrestling to take down guys who have mediocre TDD, he's good in scrambles, he's good in dogfights. Unfortunately, Conor usually never has one of those. Hard to beat a guy who's pretty much all technique.

With that said, Conor isn't going to beat Khabib or Tony. And I honestly think he'd have a hard time vs guys like MJ, Cerrone (if he ever came back down) and Barboza. I just hope he decides to stick around this division and fight some of the guys who are at the top of the division. True mark of a champion imo

200.gif

Listen i agree with 99% of what you said but McGregor practices that counter left before every fight, long before and long after the Aldo fight.

Secondly, i do think Conor would beat Aldo in the rematch because styles make fights but Conor isn't '13 seconds' good if that makes sense. He even said so himself that Aldo went down alot quicker than he expected.

1 striking exchange does not equal the true outcome of the fight(well in this case path to the outcome)

People who thought he had bad TDD are idiots who've never actually watched a McGregor fight and are just parroting whatever other idiot sherbros say because he fought 189 injured against the best wrestler in the division on 2 weeks notice. No wonder you were so shocked.

brandaotakedown-gif.151103

sivertakedown-gif.151105

BlankWarmCaecilian.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

I agree Conor's TDD is super underrated but those gifs are garbage for the most part.

Stuffing a TD from Siver? What does that even mean for his TDD considering he went down and got up, not actually stuffed it.

3rd gif was a sweep after he got taken down.

4th gif showed garbage technique from a garbage wrestler.

He destroyed Eddie and proved a very solid point, that guy's who are just tough and lack a certain set of skills are very easy for him to destroy. Eddie is not really a very sound technical wrestler or striker, he wrestled 2 years in high school.

Alvarez isn't a very good wrestler so not much. Conor has okay td defense but has yet to prove he can consistently stuff the shot of a very good wrestler because he only had to fight one and that dude had two weeks notice.

McGregor didn't even bother to defend takedowns against Mendes. He had absolutely zero respect for Chad and was willing to get taken down in order to get his shots in. People should rewatch that fight. He knew Chad would wilt.

Back