How much damage did the CM Punk signing do to UFC’s reputation?

How so exactly since he literally was in the UFC for not one but two fights and is still on the roster?

He lost both fights and was essentially cut. Even though he’s semi-famous.

He lost both fights and was essentially cut. Even though he’s semi-famous.
That's true but regardless he was and still is in the UFC which contradicts your "it showed not everyone can be in the UFC" comment.

To be fair though I get what you mean and was just fucking around being overly literal, lol, I apologize.

I think it hurt the rep of Roufus and Rener and Ryron just a little.

None, i would had hurt more if he had won a belt after a few fights, then run back to pro wrestling...like that other jacked white boy sherdog loves.

I kind of agree but to be fair Brock had 18 years of amateur wrestling training and 6 years of MMA training by the time he became champ.

That’s actually more than the average champ.

I don't think it hurt the UFC at all. The UFC likes draws, they gave him a shot (like Brock) and CM Punk pretty much failed and showed he doesn't have what it takes to be on the big stage. I give him props for training hard and giving it a try. Brock simply had size, speed, power, athleticism and a wrestling background.

Nah this didn't do any damage. If anything it showed it's hard to come to the UFC and be successful and maybe even bolstered Lesnar's creds. It's obvious to anyone why the UFC gave him a shot. They wanted to leverage his drawing power. The smaller orgs rely on this by headlining guys who couldn't make it in the UFC anymore. There's nothing wrong with it. Business 101. In the mainstream sports there's too much pressure to win for them to sign a player on drawing power alone. Even Michael Jordan, one of the most iconic athletes of our time, couldn't get a starting spot in MLB.

Shows the ufc is more of a circus for money than running it like a sport and make mandatory contenders fight thru the rankings.

The shitshow that is the ufc?
Actually I thought punk was great, he was garbage but atleast he went in there and did his best, he didn't 'break his hand' in between round like Anthony pettis.
I was interested in punk/mj and it was a fun fight.
It's about match making and the Micky gall fight was a disaster.

none, this thread aside nobody talks about this shit anymore

He was billed as a UFC legend before his first fight.

The fact that everyone still talks about him on the regular proves the UFC knew what they were talking about.

Uh what? The only place I remember him being called a UFC legend was sarcastically on Sherdog. But I do agree that the UFC used his celebrity and it worked, despite a dismal showing.

No worse than Shawn Gannon but I would bet my Conor McGregor signed empty gram bag he don’t know who that’s is. It’s funny a lot of the people that complain about Punk will tell you how great Pride was.

Uh what? The only place I remember him being called a UFC legend was sarcastically on Sherdog. But I do agree that the UFC used his celebrity and it worked, despite a dismal showing.

Before his first fight IIRC a coupe of different times UFC branded programs had "CM Punk UFC Legend" superimposed on the screen. One of the programs was a training video of his and another one may have been where some fan was calling him out from the crowd at some Q and A, only for CM Punk to shut down the guy immediately. Probably should have taken that fight.

I don't think it hurt the UFC at all. The UFC likes draws, they gave him a shot (like Brock) and CM Punk pretty much failed and showed he doesn't have what it takes to be on the big stage. I give him props for training hard and giving it a try. Brock simply had size, speed, power, athleticism and a wrestling background.
Lol training hard

it brought in pro wrestling fans... we all knew what would happen but it did bring more attention... similar to when James Toney fought Couture. UFC actually took a risk bc it would have hurt them if Punk had won. At least Brock had an amateur background. Punk should have took some ammy fights or went to a smaller org if he wanted to do MMA.

Back