How much damage did the CM Punk signing do to UFC’s reputation?

It would have been more harmful if he had become a top contender.

For me, it didn't do anything to hurt their reputation. They were trying to strike gold a second time after the huge success they had with Brock, and it didn't pay off. The guy got clobbered by 2 nobodies and now he is gone and nearly forgotten. If anything, it hurt Punk's career in wrestling I would think.

None. If anything, it boosted UFC's reputation by showing you can't just be a celebrity with minimal MMA training and succeed.

None, if anything it showed that it takes a lot to cut it in the UFC and just cause you happen to be strong or an athlete etc. doesn't mean you can fight in the UFC.

It actually proved a point that UFC is tougher.

tumblr_odd1xxgfPv1qd4esao1_500.gif

This place if he masvidal buffet'd him with that knee
<36>

I would actually like to see a celebrity Ultimate Fighter with the top guys getting contracts. There is nothing wrong with having one celebrity/circus fight a month for fun to boost up the PPVs because the UFC lacks star power and PPVs are way down

To UFC? Close to zero. To WWE/pro wrestling? Hurt a bit. After Brock and Lashley more recently, they had a good PR thing going for them.

It is bad for the reputation of the UFC. Back in the day, you had to be a legit bad motherfucker to be a UFC fighter. With no social media, these guys were like unknown legendary street brawlers of their hometown. Now its just clout chasing...

The UFC doesnt care about its image.

Their slogan is 'Don't fucking watch it then, ya goof'
The UFC doesn't care about it's image?? What the hell are you smoking, of course they care about their image... which is why they specifically pick what advertisements are allowed.... what network they get broadcast on, they discipline fighters that make terrible mistakes, they conform to usada regulations. Now i'm not saying that there isn't a few things that they don't give a shit about cause yeah that's true, but to say that they don't care about their image like not at all... You are falsely mistaken.

Why do you think they care so much about promoting particular fighter's that they believe represents their image the most? Duh, it's because they care so much about their fucking image than they do about the sport itself.

It would have been more harmful if he had become a top contender.

He was billed as a UFC legend before his first fight.

The fact that everyone still talks about him on the regular proves the UFC knew what they were talking about.

None at all actually

They’d have been dumb not to take the chance on him.

He single-handedly destroyed the UFC. They had to file bankruptcy the next day.

As everyone knows, the UFC is dying.

The UFC loves to bill itself as a legitimate sport when in reality it is sports entertainment. It is product promotion above being a sport. CM Punk is not the first time they have put an unqualified fighter in the cage and it won't be the last. Name recognition goes a long way in a promotion and CM Punk brought that with him from the WWE. The UFC jumped at that chance to put a high profile person in the cage and will do so again should the opportunity present itself.

Regardless of the outcome, a lot of people tuned in to watch both of CM Punk's fights, which achieved the desired outcome of signing him. As embarrassing as we may think the stunt was, the majority of us are still tuning in. I don't see there being much lasting impact from his stint in the cage so long as the UFC doesn't make similar signings a significant percentage of the product they offer.

Back